Reverse Pascal's Wager (NZ variation)

Reverse Pascal's Wager (NZ variation)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
16 Dec 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @apathist
Reasons? And how well do those reasons stand up to inquiry?

There are plenty of reasons to believe in anything at all.
Did you say something? Be specific you are quite good at jumping into conversations without really saying anything outside of expressing your displeasure without specific reasons. It was already established there are reasons for and against.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
16 Dec 17

Originally posted by @wolfgang59
This opening is similar to Pascal's Wager but with colours reversed.

Basically
Assume there is no afterlife and live this life to the fullest.

1. If there is no afterlife,
you were correct. Well done.

2. If there is an afterlife,
you were wrong, but hey, an afterlife! Who would have thought!
Just hope your afterlife is not in Hell...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Dec 17

Originally posted by @athousandyoung
Just hope your afterlife is not in Hell...
or Basildon.

or a million other places real or imagined.

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
19 Dec 17

Originally posted by @kellyjay
... you are quite good at jumping into conversations without really saying anything outside of expressing your displeasure without specific reasons. ...
Point for kelly. So would you like to try a formal debate? You ever tried that? This site doesn't have the best software for it, but it is a fun and useful activity.

I just said I have more specific reasons than you can handle.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
19 Dec 17

Point for kelly. So would you like to try a formal debate? You ever tried that? This site doesn't have the best software for it, but it is a fun and useful activity.

Didn’t we try that before?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Dec 17

You'd need a moderator, and from what I've seen, NO ONE on this site is a 'neutral observer'.

F

Moves
20 Dec 17

Originally posted by @suzianne
You'd need a moderator, and from what I've seen, NO ONE on this site is a 'neutral observer'.
Posters from the non-believer side of the aisle who I think would have the capacity and integrity to put their own beliefs aside and moderate and facilitate a debate fairly if called upon to do so include JS357, BigDoggProblem, wolfgang59, rwingett, moonbus, vivify, karoly aczel, finnegan and several more besides.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Dec 17

They wouldn’t have to be completely neutral just honest. I believe that there’s more than a couple of those here.

F

Moves
20 Dec 17

Originally posted by @kellyjay
They wouldn’t have to be completely neutral just honest. I believe that there’s more than a couple of those here.
Do you think you're honest enough to moderate a debate fairly?

Moves
20 Dec 17

Originally posted by @fmf
Posters from the non-believer side of the aisle who I think would have the capacity and integrity to put their own beliefs aside and moderate and facilitate a debate fairly if called upon to do so include JS357, BigDoggProblem, wolfgang59, rwingett, moonbus, vivify, karoly aczel, finnegan and several more besides.
How would we know that you haven’t just named all your other account names?

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
20 Dec 17

Being "neutral" all the time is a myth. Everyone is biased. Good moderators are those who can set aside their biases for the sake of the job.

Moves
20 Dec 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @bigdoggproblem
Being "neutral" all the time is a myth. Everyone is biased. Good moderators are those who can set aside their biases for the sake of the job.
How would an unbeliever set their biases aside when listening to an argument about the supernatural coming from a believer? The setting aside of biases is a myth when dealing with the supernatural.

Moves
20 Dec 17

The site

https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/cur/socstud/frame_found_sr2/tns/tn-13.pdf

Has some ideas on how to do a debate.

But what would a moderator do? A big part would be calling time for the various phases, but text-based debate would more likely be limited on word count.

It seems to me that the first order of business would be to develop a resolution, like “resolved, there is sufficient reason to believe God exists.” But then, is the opposition’s argument “there isn’t sufficient reason to believe God exists” or is it “there is sufficient reason to believe God does not exist”?

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Dec 17

Originally posted by @js357
The site

https://www.edu.gov.mb.ca/k12/cur/socstud/frame_found_sr2/tns/tn-13.pdf

Has some ideas on how to do a debate.

But what would a moderator do? A big part would be calling time for the various phases, but text-based debate would more likely be limited on word count.

It seems to me that the first order of business would be to develop a resolu ...[text shortened]... ason to believe God exists” or is it “there is sufficient reason to believe God does not exist”?
I'd say there would be a lot to work out to be worth while, and worth the effort.

F

Moves
21 Dec 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
How would we know that you haven’t just named all your other account names?
What are you on about?