Question to any JW

Question to any JW

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
02 Feb 12

Originally posted by galveston75
So what exactly is YOUR definition of a cult?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cult says:
"The word cult in current popular usage usually refers to a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre. The word originally denoted a system of ritual practices. The word was first used in the early 17th century denoting homage paid to a divinity and derived from the French culte or Latin cultus, ‘worship’, from cult-, ‘inhabited, cultivated, worshipped,’ from the verb colere, 'care, cultivation'"

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
02 Feb 12

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Feb 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
The process of 'shunning' someone is pretty despicable and cult like.
So to "shun" as you say is being a cult or cult like?

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves
02 Feb 12

Originally posted by FabianFnas
"The word cult in current popular usage usually refers to a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre. The word originally denoted a system of ritual practices. The word was first used in the early 17th century denoting homage paid to a divinity and derived ...[text shortened]... from cult-, ‘inhabited, cultivated, worshipped,’ from the verb colere, 'care, cultivation'"
"bunch of cults" being the operative words. 😀

-m. 😉

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Feb 12

So to "shun" as you say is being a cult or cult like?
Yep.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Feb 12

"The word cult in current popular usage usually refers to a new religious movement or other group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre. The word originally denoted a system of ritual practices. The word was first used in the early 17th century denoting homage paid to a divinity and derived ...[text shortened]... from cult-, ‘inhabited, cultivated, worshipped,’ from the verb colere, 'care, cultivation'"
Well I asked what YOUR opinion was but this will do.

So a religious movement would be a cult like action?

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_countercult_movement

I find these comments interesting: "Many Protestants consider Catholicism to be a cult, due to its beliefs regarding the Pope, Mary, and Purgatory. Countercult ministries often concern themselves with religious sects that consider themselves Christian, but hold beliefs thought to contradict the Bible"

"Christians have applied theological criteria to assess the teachings of non-orthodox movements throughout church history.[12][13][14] The Apostles themselves were involved in challenging the doctrines and claims of various teachers. The Apostle Paul wrote an entire epistle, Galatians, antagonistic to the teachings of a Jewish sect that claimed adherence to the teachings of both Jesus and Moses (cf. Acts 15: & Gal. 1:6-10). The Apostle John devoted his first Epistle to countering early proto-gnostic cults that had arisen in the first century, all claiming to be "Christian" (1 Jn. 2:19).

There is much more here to read on this but it would seem that any religion that does not follow the so called accepted religious thought of the day would qualify as a cult.
As far as that goes any individual like many here at RHP that have stopped going to a church they were once a part of because of some disagreement they had with that church's teachings, would be a cultish action......
So it seems the word cult has many, many different levels and could be applied to almost all religions.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Feb 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
Yep.
So to "shun" someone is a wrong thing?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 Feb 12

So to "shun" someone is a wrong thing?
Yep.

F

Moves
02 Feb 12
1 edit

So what exactly is YOUR definition of a cult?
To assert that only members of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania [a non-stock, not-for-profit organization headquartered in the New York City borough of Brooklyn, USA] would receive God's "blessing of everlasting life", to my way of thinking, would make the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania a "cult".

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Feb 12

Originally posted by FMF
To assert that [b]only members of the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania [a non-stock, not-for-profit organization headquartered in the New York City borough of Brooklyn, USA] would receive God's "blessing of everlasting life", to my way of thinking, would make the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania a "cult".[/b]
Don't most religions believe they are the blessed and right religion?

F

Moves
02 Feb 12
1 edit

Well I asked what YOUR opinion was but this will do.

So a religious movement would be a cult like action?

From wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_countercult_movement

I find these comments interesting: "Many Protestants consider Catholicism to be a cult, due to its beliefs regarding the Pope, Mary, and Purgatory. Countercult ministr he word cult has many, many different levels and could be applied to almost all religions.
Yes, that's my personal opinion. Anything wrong with that? Didn't you read all of it?

If I ask you who is your personal god, then would you answer anything else than Jehovah? No, I didn't think so.

"So it seems the word cult ... could be applied to almost all religions." you say?
Then it's your words, not mine. Now we discuss if JW is a cult, and in this case you are perfectly right.

F

Moves
02 Feb 12

Many members of the christian religion do, for example, yes. But a non-stock, not-for-profit organization called Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania with its headquarters in Brooklyn, New York? And not even mentioned in the Bible? This is the stuff of "cults", for sure.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Feb 12

Yes, that's my personal opinion. Anything wrong with that? Didn't you read all of it?

If I ask you who is your personal god, then would you answer anything else than Jehovah? No, I didn't think so.

"So it seems the word cult ... could be applied to almost all religions." you say?
Then it's your words, not mine. Now we discuss if JW is a cult, and in this case you are perfectly right.
Yes I read all of it and yes my God is Jehovah the God of the Bible and yes all religions are a cult if you use the meaning the world puts on it.
So what's your point?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
02 Feb 12

Originally posted by FMF
Many members of the christian religion do, for example, yes. But a non-stock, not-for-profit organization called Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania with its headquarters in Brooklyn, New York? And not even mentioned in the Bible? This is the stuff of "cults", for sure.
Well neither are the Catholics, Baptist, 7th Day Anventist, Mormans, etc, etc. Soooooo what's your point?

Moves
02 Feb 12

Religion is man made and wrong. Your fellowship should be with God not a religion.