Premise: Objective morals do not exist

Premise: Objective morals do not exist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Are your opinions factual or not? You can't seem to make up your mind.
Some information I offer is objective. Of course. As I have explained. However, when I gave several examples of "objective" facts about the Bible, in direct answer to a question you asked me, and later when I gave some examples of "objective" facts about laws pertaining to moral issues, in direct request from you to me to offer some examples of "objective facts" about morality ~ although I spent some time typing out those replies ~ you simply ignored them and made absolutely no reference to them. I refer you those.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

Are your opinions factual or not? You can't seem to make up your mind.
Where did I say I "don't believe that any opinion can be factual"?

Can you quote the post? Was it on this thread?

Third time of asking.

Moves
06 Nov 17

Originally posted by @fmf
Some information I offer is objective. Of course. As I have explained. However, when I gave several examples of "objective" facts about the Bible, in direct answer to a question you asked me, and later when I gave some examples of "objective" facts about laws pertaining to moral issues, in direct request from you to me to offer some examples of "objective facts ...[text shortened]... e replies ~ you simply ignored them and made absolutely no reference to them. I refer you those.
We are discussing morality. What objective information have you offered on morality?

Moves
06 Nov 17

Third time of asking.
I was specifically referring to moral opinions. Which factual moral opinions do you have?

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

I was specifically referring to moral opinions. Which factual moral opinions do you have?
Where did I say I "don't believe that any opinion can be factual"? Can you quote the post? Fourth time of asking. One way out for you is to say you are unable to quote me saying that.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

What objective information have you offered on morality?
I have never described my stances on morality as "objective". Why do constantly behave is as if you have never read or listened to anything that's been said to you?

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

Is that a fact?
I'm not sure what this smarmy teenager blurt is in aid of. If you said that you didn't agree with me, would that be a fact?

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

Which factual moral opinions do you have?
When I state what principles shape the moral stances that have guided me in life, that is factual.

Moves
06 Nov 17

Third time of asking.
You don't believe that any opinion (on morality) can be factual.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

Like I said, one way out of this for you is to simply concede that you are unable to quote me saying what you attributed to me.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

What was wrong with any of my previous answers? You keep asking the same things over and over again.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

This is factual: a few days ago you claimed that you do not know if the death penalty is morally sound or not. This is factual: I do not believe that the death penalty is morally sound. This is factual: when it comes to moral opinions regarding the death penalty, your stance and my stance are different.

Moves
06 Nov 17

Where did I say I "don't believe that any opinion can be factual"? Can you quote the post? Fourth time of asking. One way out for you is to say you are unable to quote me saying that.
You seemed to imply that you don't believe that any moral opinion is factual. If this is untrue feel free to set the record straight.

Moves
06 Nov 17

This is factual: a few days ago you claimed that you do not know if the death penalty is morally sound or not. This is factual: I do not believe that the death penalty is morally sound. This is factual: when it comes to moral opinions regarding the death penalty, your stance and my stance are different.
This is factual: I believe that an objective moral standard exists, you don't, which means I subscribe to moral universalism and you don't.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

You seemed to imply that you don't believe that any moral opinion is factual. If this is untrue feel free to set the record straight.
I have explained to you what the source, nature, purpose and application of morality are ~ as well as what the implications are when people's opinions are different. I have also given you some examples of facts about morals. It's a fact that I believe rape is wrong. It's a fact that you believe rape is wrong. It's a fact that you and I agree about that moral stance. There are some military leaders, and those whom they lead, in various parts of the world, who believe that rape is a legitimate weapon of war and who seemingly have no moral objection to it. That is a fact. It is a fact that I condemn what they do as being morally wrong. It is a fact that you do too. It is also a fact that international law proscribes rape as a weapon of war - and declares it not only a moral atrocity but also a crime against humanity. It is a fact that I agree with this moral stance. See, there are all manner of factual statements that can be made about moral opinions.