Premise: Objective morals do not exist

Premise: Objective morals do not exist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Well then it seems your knowledge of philosophy is lacking.

http://www.philosophy-index.com/ethics/meta-ethics/objectivism.php
You asserting you subscribe to 'moral objectivism' has absolutely no effect on the source, nature, purpose and application of your morality, which are - for all intents and purposes - the same as mine.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

Are you saying someone who subscribes to 'moral objectivism' is subscribing to a 'subjective' view? 🙄
I am saying that your position, that moral truths exist independently from opinion, is a subjective one.

Moves
06 Nov 17

Originally posted by @fmf
You asserting you subscribe to 'moral objectivism' has absolutely no effect on the source, nature, purpose and application of your morality, which are - for all intents and purposes - the same as mine.
What is written in the Bible is not influenced by my personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.

Moves
06 Nov 17

I am saying that your position, that moral truths exist independently from opinion, is a subjective one.
Of course from your perspective everything is subjective even the view that my view is not objective, which in itself is self defeating.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

What is written in the Bible is not influenced by my personal feelings, tastes, or opinions.
Your preoccupation with the Bible is the result of your upbringing and your human environment; and your subscription to it and your interpretation of its content and of its significance is completely and absolutely rooted in your experience, steeped as they are in personal feelings, tastes, and opinions.

And it would be the same for any text, or book, or pamphlet, or tablets, or runes or tea leaves or chicken's giblets or whatever source you might have come across and taken a liking to.

I didn't say you had written the Bible or that you'd influenced what is written in it, or that your feelings had somehow influenced the words found in it. That's a red herring.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

Of course from your perspective everything is subjective even the view that my view is not objective, which in itself is self defeating.
You haven't demonstrated that your opinions are "objective". You have simply asserted that they are. Meanwhile, I have not asserted that my opinions are objective. Even if you decide unilaterally to declare my opinions "objective", it will make no difference.

Moves
06 Nov 17

Your preoccupation with the Bible is the result of your upbringing and your human environment; and your subscription to it and your interpretation of its content and of its significance is completely and absolutely rooted in your experience, steeped as they are in personal feelings, tastes, and opinions.

And it would be the same for any text, or book, or pam ...[text shortened]... in it, or that your feelings had somehow influenced the words found in it. That's a red herring.
Here is a definition that might be easier for you to understand:

Objective morality is the idea that a certain system of ethics or set of moral judgments is not just true according to a person's subjective opinion, but factually true. Proponents of this theory would argue that a statement like "rape is wrong" can be as objectively true as "1 + 1 = 2"

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

Here is a definition that might be easier for you to understand:

Objective morality is the idea that a certain system of ethics or set of moral judgments is not just true according to a person's subjective opinion, but factually true. Proponents of this theory would argue that a statement like "rape is wrong" can be as objectively true as "1 + 1 = 2"
I don't have any trouble understanding your personal opinions at all. You seem to ignore my responses and don't bother to engage them. Your idea that 'there is a certain system of ethics or set of moral judgments that is not just true according to your subjective opinion, but is factually true' is your subjective take on morality and a subjective assertion you are making about your own personal opinions and morals ~ which you appear to believe makes your opinions more "true" or more "objective" than people who don't have the same superstitious beliefs as you.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

dj2becker, are the moral stances of all adherents to all religions [by which I mean those that stipulate moral codes] "objective"?

Moves
06 Nov 17
2 edits

I don't have any trouble understanding your personal opinions at all. You seem to ignore my responses and don't bother to engage them. Your idea that 'there is a certain system of ethics or set of moral judgments that is not just true according to your subjective opinion, but is factually true' is your subjective take on morality and a subjective asserti ...[text shortened]... ore "true" or more "objective" than people who don't have the same superstitious beliefs as you.
If you don't believe that any opinion can be factual why are you even stating your opinions as facts? If your opinion cannot be aligned with facts why should I not ignore it or bother to engage it?

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

If your opinion cannot be regarded as a fact why should I not ignore it?
Of course you can ignore it if you want to.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

... why are you even stating your opinions as facts?
I am stating what my opinions about morality are here because this is a debate and discussion forum for sharing and comparing opinions.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

If you don't believe that any opinion can be factual ...
Where did I say this? Can you quote the post? Was it on this thread?

Moves
06 Nov 17

Of course you can ignore it if you want to.
If none of our opinions have the possibility of being factual you are wasting your time here.

Moves
06 Nov 17

I am stating what my opinions about morality are here because this is a debate and discussion forum for sharing and comparing opinions.
If you think that none of our opinions can be factual it is a complete waste of time.