Premise: Objective morals do not exist

Premise: Objective morals do not exist

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
06 Nov 17

Originally posted by @fmf
I remember you suddenly discarding the assertion in a conversation much later when it was inconvenient to you, yes.

So you accept that you changed your mind at that point, after months of sticking by the "equally evil" assertion", when you now suggest you started 'correcting' me (as opposed to yourself)? Or not?

Dig yourself deeper. I have sent a link to ...[text shortened]... lves, but I've asked them to say nothing and to, instead, simply observe you and your behaviour.
I explained to you that I believe both actions are sinful and that any sin can separate you from God.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
"Objective moral standards mean that some actions are always immoral no matter the circumstances."
So if someone believed that failing to assault, imprison, or kill homosexuals whenever he encountered them was always immoral, no matter the circumstances, would that be an "objective moral standard"?

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

I explained to you that I believe both actions are sinful and that any sin can separate you from God.
Only after months and months of sticking by the "equally evil" assertion. Dig away. Some observers have read your own words on the matter. Show your mettle.

Moves
06 Nov 17

No, I don't. It's as if you haven't understood a word I have said to you in 2016 and 2017.
That's just because you reject the definition of an objective moral standard. Do you have a better one?

Moves
06 Nov 17

So if someone believed that failing to assault, imprison, or kill homosexuals whenever he encountered them was always immoral, no matter the circumstances, would that be an "objective moral standard"?
"Objective moral standards mean that some actions are always immoral no matter the circumstances."

If you have a better defintion feel free to share it.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

If you have a better defintion feel free to share it.
You can define it any way you want. It's interesting how you sidestepped the content of my post. Here it is again:

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

That's just because you reject the definition of an objective moral standard. Do you have a better one?
I have written extensively about what I make of your claims that your opinions and moral standards are somehow "objective". You have mostly just ignored what I have written or not understood it. Your habit of misrepresenting others' arguments and stances often appears to be a calculated, deceptive modus operandi. Other times you just appear dim and inattentive. Anyway, I refer you to that extensive writing.

Moves
06 Nov 17

You can define it any way you want. It's interesting how you sidestepped the content of my post. Here it is again:

They would be believing that objective morals do exist.

Moves
06 Nov 17

I have written extensively about what I make of your claims that your opinions and moral standards are somehow "objective". You have mostly just ignored what I have written or not misunderstood it. Your habit of misrepresenting others' arguments and stances often appears to be a calculated, deceptive modus operandi. Other times you just appear dim and inattentive. Anyway, I refer you to that extensive writing.
Maybe you should educate yourself on moral absolutism. It is a philosophical stance.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_absolutism

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

Maybe you should educate yourself on moral absolutism. It is a philosophical stance.
I don't accept that your superstitious notions and your moral sensibilities are "objective", for the reason I have given ~ reasons which you have refused to engage and have largely ignored or reworded disingenuously. Your moral code is a subjective one. So is mine.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17

They would be believing that objective morals do exist.
So you accept that assaulting, imprison, or kill homosexuals whenever he encountered would be morally sound - and "objectively" so - if someone thinks it's "always" morally sound - or are the only morals that are "objective" the ones that coincide with your own?

Moves
06 Nov 17

I don't accept that your superstitious notions and your moral sensibilities are "objective", for the reason I have given ~ reasons which you have refused to engage and have largely ignored or reworded disingenuously. Your moral code is a subjective one. So is mine.
Moral objectivism: There is a fact of the matter as to whether any given action is morally permissible or impermissible: a fact of the matter that does not depend solely on social custom or individual acceptance.

Are you saying someone who subscribes to 'moral objectivism' is subscribing to a 'subjective' view? 🙄

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

Are you saying someone who subscribes to 'moral objectivism' is subscribing to a 'subjective' view? 🙄
What I am saying is that I don't accept that your superstitious notions and your moral sensibilities are "objective", for the reasons I have given. I do not care what labels you attach to yourself. No matter what '-ism" you or I may claim we just so happen to subscribe to, we both have moral codes that are subjective.

F

Moves
06 Nov 17
1 edit

Moral objectivism: There is a fact of the matter as to whether any given action is morally permissible or impermissible: a fact of the matter that does not depend solely on social custom or individual acceptance.
Your moral code completely and absolutely depends solely on social custom or individual acceptance and other stimuli and influences you have absorbed from your human environment in a way that is unique to you. You unilaterally declaring this effect that it has had on you to be supernatural or magical in nature is meaningless and does not alter its nature. It's merely pretentious rhetoric.

Moves
06 Nov 17

What I am saying is that I don't accept that your superstitious notions and your moral sensibilities are "objective", for the reason I have given. I do not care what labels you attach to yourself. No matter what '-ism" you or I may claim we just so happen to subscribe to, we both have moral codes that are subjective.
Well then it seems your knowledge of philosophy is lacking.

http://www.philosophy-index.com/ethics/meta-ethics/objectivism.php