Praying in Tongues

Praying in Tongues

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@kevin-eleven said
Also fair. 😉
Not really. How could Jesus Christ tell His disciples to pray in the Spirit when the Holy Spirit had not been given to them?

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said
Did you read my reply to that?

The Holy Spirit had not been given to believers to indwell them until well after Jesus Christ said that.
I don't think you've thought through the consequences of what you have posted.

I'll let you pray on it for 24 hours.

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Not really. How could Jesus Christ tell His disciples to pray in the Spirit when the Holy Spirit had not been given to them?
❌ FAIL

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Anyone on here do this? I do (though should do it more often.)

This is an excellent video on praying in tongues (about 11 minutes long) by Pastor Joseph Prince.

Why is praying in tongues important (and I would say essential) for a Christian? Because, imo, we don’t know, with our limited understanding, what we should be praying for. But the Holy Spirit inside of us does k ...[text shortened]... st meant for Christians in Biblical times - it’s meant for us today!

https://youtu.be/tfQ_XB73qPs
I can only think of a few ways someone will accept that speaking in tongues is authentic and valid today. One is a personal testimony, and then we would have to believe the person, difficult to do unless they have proven themselves over an adequate amount of time. Then there is the Scriptural route, but that too is reserved for only those that accept scripture, not just a few scriptures but scripture, if I like it or not scripture, not the cherry-pick selected scriptures some have. Those that only believe a few texts, not all, are the judge's scriptural truth, not the Bible itself.

There are different gifts of tongues, so if we are not confused about the ones we are referring to, we can look at the gifts and see what the Word says about them. We have tongues where someone speaks, and everyone hears what was said in their native tongue, there are tongues and interpretations, and there is a prayer where we are only speaking to God in a tongue no one understands but God.

Have any or all of these gifts disappeared? Do you believe I'm misrepresenting something that isn't true? I invite you through scripture to show me I'm wrong and that God's gifts to His church are not for all, or they were only for a short time. I'm not interested in your opinion, we all have those, but I will yield clear text and tell us what we need to see concerning the scriptural text.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
01 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
I can only think of a few ways someone will accept that speaking in tongues is authentic and valid today. One is a personal testimony, and then we would have to believe the person, difficult to do unless they have proven themselves over an adequate amount of time. Then there is the Scriptural route, but that too is reserved for only those that accept scripture, not just a fe ...[text shortened]... e those, but I will yield clear text and tell us what we need to see concerning the scriptural text.
I personally would put no trust is what Christians call proof in this matter. I would have to see it for myself. So far I have witnessed these things and it's all nonsensical gibberish.

Moves
01 Jan 22
3 edits

@suzianne said
Praying is supposed to be from the heart. Your heart. Thus, I think intent is more than the words, certainly. But it should be your intent, from your heart.

Not too excited about the Holy Spirit praying my own prayers for me, speaking for me. Now the Holy Spirit guiding what I say, through knowing my intent, is entirely different. I have a ...[text shortened]... my voice[/i] to speak to God, even on my behalf. It's like having an excuse for not praying at all.
Despite your incomprehensibly vicious, foul-mouthed, and provocative forum behavior, I do agree with much of what you have written here, at least in the abstract.

Agency and free will are important to us, and we have as much of those as we have.

Sure, the other boot could be: "or so it would seem," but let's pretend that conditional statements are disallowed in your world, making this paragraph seem to be written in invisible ink. 😉

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jan 22

@rajk999 said
I personally would put no trust is what Christians call proof in this matter. I would have to see it for myself. So far I have witnessed these things and it's all nonsensical gibberish.
How would you know it’s nonsensical gibberish? Do you understand that praying in the Spirit can be done privately (and that’s how I was referring to it in this thread and how the two videos I posted refer to it?)

How would you know if a private prayer is effective or not? You really seem unable to grasp someone communicating with God without some big public spectacle.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
Despite your incomprehensibly vicious, foul-mouthed, and provocative forum behavior, I do agree with much of what you have written here, at least in the abstract.

Agency and free will are important to us, and we have as much of those as we have.

Sure, the other boot could be: "or so it would seem," but let's pretend that conditional statements are disallowed in your world, making this paragraph seem to be written in invisible ink. 😉
I think you have her confused with someone else. I can think of three off the top of my head.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jan 22

@kellyjay said
I can only think of a few ways someone will accept that speaking in tongues is authentic and valid today. One is a personal testimony, and then we would have to believe the person, difficult to do unless they have proven themselves over an adequate amount of time. Then there is the Scriptural route, but that too is reserved for only those that accept scripture, not just a fe ...[text shortened]... e those, but I will yield clear text and tell us what we need to see concerning the scriptural text.
1 Corinthians 14 seems to be the chapter that speaks the most on praying in tongues.

Moves
01 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
I think you have her confused with someone else. I can think of three off the top of my head.
I think Suzi knows how to read that post, and you're just a troublemaker.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jan 22

@kevin-eleven said
I think Suzi knows how to read that post, and you're just a troublemaker.
Forgive me for not being up to speed on your inside joke.

Moves
01 Jan 22

@pb1022 said
Forgive me for not being up to speed on your inside joke.
In this particular instance there's nothing to forgive.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jan 22
4 edits

@PB1022

“I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.”

(1 Corinthians 14:18-19)

Paul knew he had to have personal roots in God away from public view. He did not want to only have a public spirituality. He needed a personal "root system" of private enjoyment of Christ. And not one means was available to him. I think he was glad to lay hold of any means including speaking in tongues.

That is his one of many means of exercising his spirit in prayer.

But this "master bulder" also knew that individual spirituality would not meet God's need to build up the assembly. So his encouragement to excercise in this way leaned toward the Christian's personal devotional touch with God. That is very important.

He would prefer in the church meeting to edify both himself and others present by being intelligible even if it only be five words. It was not "Do this and don't do the other." It was enlarge you realization that there is a private building up and there is a corporate bulding up.

The weight of the whole discussion is toward the corporate building up without doing damage to the private building up. The tone of his discussion is encourage the Corinthians not to give up any private exercise of the spirit but to keep it AND be even more concerned for building up one another through intelligble "prophesying" - speaking understandable words exalting God, encouraging one another.

He is glad He speaks in tongues more than all the ones speaking in tongues. But being an apostle, church planter, and "master builder' his more urgent burden is for the corporate buiding up of one another.

Insisting on tongues is one extreme.
Forbidding tongues is the opposite extreme.

c

Moves
01 Jan 22

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I don't think you've thought through the consequences of what you have posted.

I'll let you pray on it for 24 hours.
Has it been 24 hours?

I'm interested to know what the consequences are.

Moves
01 Jan 22

@chaney3 said
Has it been 24 hours?

I'm interested to know what the consequences are.
He has 9 hours of reflection remaining...