Praying in Tongues

Praying in Tongues

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@suzianne said
Can I get a citation that says this?

I'll tell you now, I'm not on-board with this 'praying in tongues' idea.

Show me the scripture.

I understand the concept of 'speaking in tongues', but I'm not sure on this 'praying in tongues' idea. People should pray in a language they understand so there is no confusion about what they're saying. God understands your n ...[text shortened]... ue; there's no need to scramble what you're praying so that even you don't know what you're praying.
“For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries.”

(1 Corinthians 14:2)

“He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church.”

(1 Corinthians 14:4)

“For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.”

(1 Corinthians 14:14-15)

And here I think is the distinction between praying in tongues in private and praying in tongues in public:

“I thank my God, I speak with tongues more than ye all:

Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.”

(1 Corinthians 14:18-19)

In verse 18, I believe Paul is talking about praying in tongues in private.

In verse 19, he’s obviously talking about praying in tongues in public (“in the church.&rdquo😉

From a common sense perspective, praying in tongues makes sense because when we pray the way people often think of prayer, we’re praying with our own limited human understanding, which is why, I think, part of the Lord’s Prayer is “Thy will be done.”

But the Holy Spirit that indwells us knows all so His prayers through us to God are perfect.

I actually very rarely pray in tongues, but I’m going to pray in tongues more often in the New Year because I’ve seen the benefits.

Let me give you an example: I was driving late at night on an unlit road in the suburbs, when I reached down to turn on the radio, but “something” told me to look up. And it was good I did because some idiot wearing dark clothing was walking across the street in front of me - not in a crosswalk and taking his time; it was almost like he wanted to be hit.

I had prayed in tongues earlier that day and I believe the “something” that told me to look up was God.

How could I possibly have known to pray not to hit that pedestrian? I couldn’t. But the Holy Spirit knew - and knew what to pray for - because the Holy Spirit knows all.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@suzianne said
Can I get a citation that says this?

I'll tell you now, I'm not on-board with this 'praying in tongues' idea.

Show me the scripture.

I understand the concept of 'speaking in tongues', but I'm not sure on this 'praying in tongues' idea. People should pray in a language they understand so there is no confusion about what they're saying. God understands your n ...[text shortened]... at you're praying. How is praying from the heart if you don't even know what you're praying?
<<I understand the concept of 'speaking in tongues', but I'm not sure on this 'praying in tongues' idea. People should pray in a language they understand so there is no confusion about what they're saying.>>

But the words aren’t important and often sound like gibberish because the words are merely the means by which the Spirit prays.

I used to be hung up on the idea of which words to say and whether they made sense until I realized the words themselves aren’t important.

<<God understands your native tongue; there's no need to scramble what you're praying so that even you don't know what you're praying.>>

But I think you’re assuming we know in all instances (or even most instances) what to pray for, and I don’t think we do. I would rather have an omniscient being praying for me, even if I don’t know what His prayers are.

<<How is praying from the heart if you don't even know what you're praying?>>

Because you trust God’s Holy Spirit inside you to pray on your behalf and to pray effectively.

Again, I don’t pray in tongues often at all. I usually pray in English and I like to recite Scripture because I believe the ^spoken* Word of God has power.

But I’m going to pray in tongues more often in the New Year because I believe it’s beneficial.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
<<I understand the concept of 'speaking in tongues', but I'm not sure on this 'praying in tongues' idea. People should pray in a language they understand so there is no confusion about what they're saying.>>

But the words aren’t important and often sound like gibberish because the words are merely the means by which the Spirit prays.

I used to be hung up on the idea of w ...[text shortened]... r.

But I’m going to pray in tongues more often in the New Year because I believe it’s beneficial.
Praying is supposed to be from the heart. Your heart. Thus, I think intent is more than the words, certainly. But it should be your intent, from your heart.

Not too excited about the Holy Spirit praying my own prayers for me, speaking for me. Now the Holy Spirit guiding what I say, through knowing my intent, is entirely different. I have a role in prayer, it is from ME to God, not from the Holy Spirit to God.

As I said, I get the speaking in tongues bit, but not praying in tongues. Prayers should come from us, it doesn't matter if we have the 'right words'. God sees on our heart. It's the effort, the meaning, and it should come from us not others. The Holy Spirit can pray for me, I'm sure that happens, but I'm not good with the Holy Spirit using my voice to speak to God, even on my behalf. It's like having an excuse for not praying at all.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@suzianne said
Praying is supposed to be from the heart. Your heart. Thus, I think intent is more than the words, certainly. But it should be your intent, from your heart.

Not too excited about the Holy Spirit praying my own prayers for me, speaking for me. Now the Holy Spirit guiding what I say, through knowing my intent, is entirely different. I have a ...[text shortened]... my voice[/i] to speak to God, even on my behalf. It's like having an excuse for not praying at all.
<<Praying is supposed to be from the heart. Your heart. Thus, I think intent is more than the words, certainly. But it should be your intent, from your heart.>>

I agree. It’s not either/or with me. I’m not talking about praying in the regular way or praying in tongues. I’m talking about both and so I think was the Apostle Paul when he said:

“What is it then? I will pray with the spirit, and I will pray with the understanding also: I will sing with the spirit, and I will sing with the understanding also.”

(1 Corinthians 14:15)

<<Not too excited about the Holy Spirit praying my own prayers for me, speaking for me.>>

Why not? Do you not trust Him?

<<Now the Holy Spirit guiding what I say, through knowing my intent, is entirely different.>>

But this I think assumes you know what is best to pray for and you know all the information not only about a given situation or circumstance but about the future as well.

Praying “Thy will be done” is really no different (in principle) than praying in tongues. You’re acknowledging not only that God is omniscient but that He has your best interests at heart.

<<I have a role in prayer, it is from ME to God, not from the Holy Spirit to God.>>

Right. And you have a role in praying in tongues as well. You’re giving utterance to the Spirit - essentially giving permission for the Spirit to pray for you. Your autonomy and free will are not at all compromised, imo.

<<As I said, I get the speaking in tongues bit, but not praying in tongues. Prayers should come from us, it doesn't matter if we have the 'right words'. God sees on our heart.>>

Agree. But we don’t know everything and that’s why our prayers may not align with God’s will and may even be detrimental to us.

<<It's the effort, the meaning, and it should come from us not others.>>

The Holy Spirit is part of every Christian and indwelt in every Christian.

<<The Holy Spirit can pray for me, I'm sure that happens,>>

I’m not so sure that happens without you consciously permitting it.

<<but I'm not good with the Holy Spirit using my voice to speak to God, even on my behalf.>>

I honestly don’t understand why.

<<It's like having an excuse for not praying at all.>>

I disagree because Paul was talking about both kinds of prayer - praying with the understanding and praying in the Spirit (without the understanding.)

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
<<Praying is supposed to be from the heart. Your heart. Thus, I think intent is more than the words, certainly. But it should be your intent, from your heart.>>

I agree. It’s not either/or with me. I’m not talking about praying in the regular way or praying in tongues. I’m talking about both and so I think was the Apostle Paul when he said:

“What is it then? I will pray ...[text shortened]... ds of prayer - praying with the understanding and praying in the Spirit (without the understanding.)
You keep quoting scripture you have failed to understand or have taken out of context.

Sonship brings us prayer reading, you bring us praying in tongues. 'Both' are not what the Bible instructs you to do when it comes to praying.

"Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John taught his disciples.” And he said to them, “When you pray, say: “Father, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come. Give us each day our daily bread, and forgive us our sins, for we ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.”

Luke 11:1-54

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
You keep quoting scripture you have failed to understand or have taken out of context.

Sonship brings us prayer reading, you bring us praying in tongues. 'Both' are not what the Bible instructs you to do when it comes to praying.

"Now Jesus was praying in a certain place, and when he finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray, as John t ...[text shortened]... ourselves forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And lead us not into temptation.”

Luke 11:1-54
Right.

Because the Holy Spirit had not been given to indwell Christians when Jesus Christ said that.

The Holy Spirit was given to indwell Christians after Jesus’ crucifixion and Resurrection. And not immediately after either.

Moves
31 Dec 21
1 edit

@pb1022 said
Right.

Because the Holy Spirit had not been given to indwell Christians when Jesus Christ said that.

The Holy Spirit was given to indwell Christians after Jesus’ crucifixion and Resurrection. And not immediately after either.
Jesus taught that praying should be a simple thing, done in private. He also said that the 'Father knows what you need before you ask him.'

With this in mind, why would you need the Holy Spirit to speak for you?

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6

*Note 'your' requests.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Jesus taught that praying should be a simple thing, done in private. He also said that the 'Father knows what you need before you ask him.'

<<Jesus taught that praying should be a simple thing, done in private.>>

Praying in tongues, in my mind, is both.

<<He also said that the 'Father knows what you need before you ask him.'

With this in mind, why would you need the Holy Spirit to speak for you?>>

Well by that logic, why pray at all - in the Spirit or with understanding?

Just because the Father knows what we need before we ask Him doesn’t mean He doesn’t want us to pray.

And praying in tongues is a definite demonstration that we trust God because we are praying without our human understanding.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God." Philippians 4:6

*Note 'your' requests.
Right. Nobody is saying to pray exclusively in tongues. I think, as the Apostle Paul thought, that both praying in the Spirit and praying with the understanding are beneficial.

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Right. Nobody is saying to pray exclusively in tongues. I think, as the Apostle Paul thought, that both praying in the Spirit and praying with the understanding are beneficial.
Praying in the spirit does not mean what you think it means, and certainly doesn't mean the spirit praying for you. Praying in tongues is the slippery slope to mumbo-jumbo that takes you further from God, not nearer.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Praying in the spirit does not mean what you think it means, and certainly doesn't mean the spirit praying for you. Praying in tongues is the slippery slope to mumbo-jumbo that takes you further from God, not nearer.
No offense, but I prefer not to take advice on praying from an atheist.

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
Fair.

Moves
31 Dec 21

@pb1022 said
I gave you the words of Jesus on how you should pray.

Up to you if you don't want to take His advice.

Moves
31 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Also fair. 😉

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
31 Dec 21

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Did you read my reply to that?

The Holy Spirit had not been given to believers to indwell them until well after Jesus Christ said that.