New Testament

New Testament

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
you seem to be having some sort of trouble with the fact that such writers for the
watchtower are not producing anything new, they are merely commenting upon what is
already considered as inspired, the Bible, therein lies the difference.
That's not true. The passage of Revelations which was discussed earlier, Galveston said that the interpretation of that particular passage had been shown to someone within the JW organisation by God. That is something new, unless you can show me where the League of Nations is mentioned in the Bible?!

F

Moves
10 Dec 12

pity that FMF troll could not bring himself to comment upon this but in typical troll
style seeks to highlight those areas which are to him the most controversial. Best
kicked into touch.
Jason BeDuhn's positive comments are noted, but simply calling me a "troll" does not address BeDuhn's criticism of the NWT translation.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
That's not true. The passage of Revelations which was discussed earlier, Galveston said that the interpretation of that particular passage had been shown to someone within the JW organisation by God. That is something new, unless you can show me where the League of Nations is mentioned in the Bible?!
No you are still confused. As Robbie said we are not given some new info that was not all ready in the Bible. It is there and always has been there.
Again this is God's book and it is "inspired" by him to this very day. This book is like no other in the universe in that he only lets ones he chooses to see it with complete understanding. This "inspiration" is not on any other book in the world.
Every book that man has pinned was written for any human to read and understand. The Bible was not written for that purpose. It would be great if all of manking could understand it and act accordingly but that will not happen in this time period.
So as time and his schedule has progressed he has released the meanings there to his "Faithful and Discreet Slave" who in turn "feeds" it to the congregations.
So all the things the WTS writes down is not new in reguards to the Bible but new to those who now understand it. It's source is from the Holy Bible that God inspired. Hence the info that is now passed on to us is inspired from it's source, not from the writers of the liturature it is explained to us in.

The issue of the League of Nations and the United Nations is, yes it is true they are not mentioned by name as many things are not.
Again God did not write the Bible in that way. And again this was for the purpose of him releasing the knowledge of all these understandings at later times to those who are really asking and looking for this true knowledge of his Bible.
Most are confused and don't see that these scriptures apply to those places.
But to ones who with God's help want to learn, do see it and it's as clear as it can be.

Finally no one is being spoken to by God. He does not do that at all to any humans at this time.
He simply let's ones understand what they did not understand before. That is the way he communicates with us.

rc

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

no its not new, the prophecy was not originated by Jehovahs witnesses, we did not
write the book of revelation, just sayin. The understanding may be new but its not set
in stone, it may change if something else comes to light, we have after all frequently
revised our teaching and understanding, in fact i dare say we are unique in that regard.

RN
RHP Prophet

pursuing happiness

Moves
10 Dec 12

It's Revelation

no plural

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

“The Things Revealed” Today

After the death of the apostles, the great apostasy developed among professing Christians, as had been prophesied. (Matthew 13:36-42; Acts 20:29, 30) There followed long centuries during which understanding of “the things revealed” grew dim, although Jesus did not abandon those who sought to remain faithful. (Matthew 28:20) However, Jesus had promised that this situation would not last forever. At the conclusion of the system of things, the wicked and the righteous would again be visibly separated, and ‘the righteous ones would shine as brightly as the sun in the kingdom of their Father.’ (Matthew 13:43) Just as Daniel had prophesied, in ‘the time of the end, true knowledge would become abundant.’ (Daniel 12:4)

Light would again be shed on “the things revealed.”

Since 1914, we have been living in the time of the conclusion of this system of things. Hence, it is important to know whom Jehovah is using today as a channel for this new spiritual light. Certainly, he is not using the established religions of Christendom. These have proved disinclined to shake off the wrong teachings accumulated during the great apostasy. Today, most of their leaders are either so entrenched in traditions and creeds that they are not open to new knowledge, or they are so affected by skepticism that they doubt even the "inspiration" of the Bible and the validity of its moral standards.

Jesus said that the Kingdom of God would be taken from the Jews and “given to a nation producing its fruits.” (Matthew 21:43) In the first century, this proved to be the young Christian congregation of spiritual Israel. Today, there is only one group producing fruitage anything like that of the early congregation. These spiritual Israelites are the members of “the faithful and discreet slave” class of Matthew 24:45-47. Like the first Christians, these latter-day Christians have not been afraid to ‘let their light shine.’ (Matthew 5:14-16)
Starting in 1919, they courageously undertook the work of preaching the good news of the Kingdom in all the world for a witness. (Matthew 24:14) Since they have produced the fruits of God’s Kingdom, Jehovah has blessed them richly by bringing them up to date in “the greatly diversified wisdom of God.”—Ephesians 3:10.

Thus, in 1923 Jesus’ great prophecy about the sheep and the goats was properly understood, and it was discerned that the whole world was under judgment. (Matthew 25:31-46)
In 1925 God’s earthly servants became possessors of an accurate understanding of Revelation chapter 12 and discerned exactly what had happened in the marked year of 1914.
In 1932 their understanding was deepened still further. Jehovah revealed that the prophecies related to the restoration of the Jews to Jerusalem did not refer to fleshly Israel, which had long since proved unfaithful and been cast off, but rather to spiritual Israel, the Christian congregation. (Romans 2:28, 29)
Then, in 1935 a corrected understanding of John’s vision of the “great crowd” in Revelation chapter 7 opened the eyes of anointed ones to the huge gathering work that still lay ahead of them.—Revelation 7:9-17.
This triggered a surge in the global preaching work, as the gathering of “the things on the earth” finally got under way in earnest. (Ephesians 1:10)
In 1939, as war clouds gathered over Europe, the issue of neutrality was made clearer than ever before.
In 1950 the “princes” of Isaiah 32:1, 2 were more precisely identified.
In 1962 a correct identification of “the superior authorities” and the Christian’s proper relationship to them was also understood more clearly from “the things revealed.” (Romans 13:1, 2)
And in 1965 there came a clearer understanding of the earthly resurrection and who might benefit from it.—John 5:28, 29.

Additionally, the anointed Christian congregation in this 20th century has proved to be a fitting custodian of the Word of God, the written compilation of “the things revealed.” Representative members of this congregation undertook a translation of the Bible into modern English, and, up to today, the New World Translation of the Holy Scriptures has appeared in 11 languages, with 40,000,000 copies having been printed. The “slave” class of anointed Christians also spearheads international teaching programs and publishes Bible-based textbooks and magazines. It organizes weekly meetings, regular assemblies, and various schools—all designed to help truth seekers to gain accurate knowledge of “the things revealed.” Watchtower 1986.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
10 Dec 12

Originally posted by Red Night
It's Revelation

no plural
Ta.

Moves
10 Dec 12

no its not new, the prophecy was not originated by Jehovahs witnesses, we did not
write the book of revelation, just sayin.
has the j.w. church made any predictions based on their translation of the bible that have been wrong?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

write the book of revelation, just sayin. The understanding may be new but its not set
in stone, it may change if something else comes to light, we have after all frequently
revised our teaching and understanding, in fact i dare say we are unique in that regard.
I never claimed anyone at JW HQ did write Revelation, i said the 'interpretation' of the passage.

Secondly, why would it need to be revised if God has communicated the meaning of that passage to your organisation as Galveston has claimed?

rc

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

I never claimed anyone at JW HQ did write Revelation, i said the 'interpretation' of the passage.

Secondly, why would it need to be revised if God has communicated the meaning of that passage to your organisation as Galveston has claimed?
because

(1 Corinthians 13:11, 12) . . .When I was a babe, I used to speak as a babe, to
think as a babe, to reason as a babe; but now that I have become a man, I have
done away with the [traits] of a babe.  For at present we see in hazy outline by
means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face to face. At present I know partially,
but then I shall know accurately even as I am accurately known.

and

(Proverbs 4:18) . . .But the path of the righteous ones is like the bright light that is
getting lighter and lighter until the day is firmly established.

truth may be revealed gradually, not like an epiphany.

rc

Moves
10 Dec 12
2 edits

Originally posted by stellspalfie
has the j.w. church made any predictions based on their translation of the bible that have been wrong?
based on our translation? no, based on our understanding yes. We have revised many
teaching that were found to be erroneous. our translation is essentially not that
different from others simply more accurate, it was only completed in 1950s, prior to
that we used other translations.

Moves
10 Dec 12

based on our translation? no, based on our understanding yes. We have revised many
teaching that were found to be erroneous. our translation is essentially not that
different from others simply more accurate, it was only completed in 1950s, prior to
that we used other translations.
bearing in mind that previous errors have been made. is there any guarantee that there are no errors in your current understanding or that there will be no errors made in future understandings?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
10 Dec 12
1 edit

bearing in mind that previous errors have been made. is there any guarantee that there are no errors in your current understanding or that there will be no errors made in future understandings?
Where is it said in the Bible that God only works thru perfect humans? Were any humans that Jesus taught and worked with perfect? Did they make mistakes or not and did they always understand what Jesus said to them?
Why does one have to be perfect in your eyes to be used by God?

rc

Moves
10 Dec 12

we have never claimed to be infallible, just pure awesomeness!

Moves
10 Dec 12

we have never claimed to be infallible, just pure awesomeness!
is there ever any explanation given as to how the errors were made? is it mistranslated text from the bible or maybe an error in understanding correct text?