Naoh's Ark or hoax?

Naoh's Ark or hoax?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cape Town

Moves
02 May 10

Originally posted by whodey
He wrote, "The Antiquities of the Jews", in the late first century. One passage, known as the Testimonium Flavianium, discusses the career of Jesus.
Does anything he says do anything more than verify the existence of Christians and their beliefs? If not, then What relevance does he have to a discussion on the historicity of Jesus? Surely his writings are contemporary or after Paul's writings?

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 May 10

Thats right, in fact, there is a memorial to the Holocaust survivors on pretty much every street corner......or is that a church on every street corner? 😛

Just out of curiosity, do you believe that Mohammad existed? How about Buddah? How about Moses?
You've misunderstood me. I accept there was a historical figure called Jesus, but i don't accept he was the son of God, God or anything else. He was nothing more than a mere mortal, just like you and me. What i was objecting to was your claim that those people who don't believe that Jesus existed are somehow in the same league as holocaust deniers, for the reasons i have detailed above.

Mohammed gets a yes.
Buddha gets a yes.
Moses gets a maybe.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
02 May 10

Originally posted by jaywill
And I recommend to you Bock's [b]"Dethroning Jesus - Pop Cultures Quest to Unseat the Biblical Christ"[/b]
I wasn't recommending the book to you, merely pointing out that your assertion that my statement, which you claimed as 'presumptuous babble', is a view shared by esteemed religious scholars such as E P Sanders. Who, if you didn't check is a Doctor of Letters and a Doctor of Theology and a professor of Religious Studies.

w

Moves
02 May 10

Originally posted by twhitehead
Does anything he says do anything more than verify the existence of Christians and their beliefs? If not, then What relevance does he have to a discussion on the historicity of Jesus? Surely his writings are contemporary or after Paul's writings?
I am simply laying out the evidence that a man named Jesus existed and that he had a following. Of course, the only evidence we have is any recorded history written down about him.

w

Moves
02 May 10

Why should they pay? I thought you were american and thus valued free speech.
Actually, I think it would be nice for a change that those who deliberatly mislead the masses be held accountable. In fact, it would be great if our political leaders had to pay a fine every time they smiled into the camera and lied to us. If so, perhaps the $13 trillion debt would have been wiped out by now.

Of course, they would be "free" to continue to lie. 😉

F

Moves
03 May 10

Then you seriously mislead us in your first post. You said: [b][blah blah] Clearly not the same meaning as what you are now saying. [...] But that is not what you said in your first post. Not even close.[/b]
If you follow whodey's posting style on Debates, he often distances himself from misrepresentations or silliness clearly laid out in his OPs but almost invariably tries to pass it off as people not understanding him correctly.

w

Moves
03 May 10

Originally posted by FMF
If you follow whodey's posting style on Debates, he often distances himself from misrepresentations or silliness clearly laid out in his OPs but almost invariably tries to pass it off as people not understanding him correctly.
What misrepresentations?

Cape Town

Moves
03 May 10

I am simply laying out the evidence that a man named Jesus existed and that he had a following. Of course, the only evidence we have is any recorded history written down about him.
But even those who dispute the existence of Jesus accept the existence of Christians (there everywhere). They even accept the existence of early Christians and most would accept the existence of Paul, his writings and the approximate date of those writings.
Josephus does not provide any evidence whatsoever that a man named Jesus actually existed. Certainly not more evidence that is already undisputed. So why present him as evidence? I know it sounds cool to say 'Historian' and 'non-Christian', but it doesn't actually support your case.

Cape Town

Moves
03 May 10

Actually, I think it would be nice for a change that those who deliberatly mislead the masses be held accountable. In fact, it would be great if our political leaders had to pay a fine every time they smiled into the camera and lied to us. If so, perhaps the $13 trillion debt would have been wiped out by now.

Of course, they would be "free" to continue to lie. 😉
Political leaders are a different case. They are violating their terms and conditions of employment when they lie. The people who perpetrate Noah hoaxes are responsible to their employers but not to you.
If we started suing all liars lawyers would have a field day and the rest of us would be bankrupt.

F

Moves
03 May 10

What misrepresentations?
The ones you distance yourself from.

T

Moves
03 May 10
1 edit

w

Moves
03 May 10

If we started suing all liars lawyers would have a field day and the rest of us would be bankrupt.
Er...um....we are bankrupt which is mainly due to their lying.

w

Moves
03 May 10

Originally posted by TenFour
I could not have said it better myself. Of course, I distance myself from that claim. 😛

w

Moves
03 May 10

Originally posted by FMF
The ones you distance yourself from.
OK, I distance myself from "the ones". Thanks for clearing that up.

Can't win a game of

38N Lat X 121W Lon

Moves
04 May 10

My problem with this video is how do we know it is truly on Mt. Arat? I would think an undertaking like that should be fully documented. If indeed it is on Mt. Arat then what is the wood and how old? I read and heard stories of people finding the Ark but all are not conclusive. If they find a big boat up there with conclusive evidence I'd believe it. I understand that Josephus and other ancient accounts just assumed that the Ark was there on a Mountain somewhere. Supposedly it has been seen in ancient times and in more modern times.

Manny