1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '23 01:26
    The application of ubiquitous 'Golden Rule'-type moral imperatives - like love thy neighbour and do unto others as you'd have them do unto you - clearly evolve over time. How is this evolution best approached?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Mar '23 04:34
    @fmf said
    The application of ubiquitous 'Golden Rule'-type moral imperatives - like love thy neighbour and do unto others as you'd have them do unto you - clearly evolve over time. How is this evolution best approached?
    I don’t think the premise of your OP is correct.

How have they clearly evolved over time? I don’t think they’ve evolved at all - in interpretation or application.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '23 04:48
    @plantermoo said

How have they clearly evolved over time? I don’t think they’ve evolved at all - in interpretation or application.
    Ok, thanks for that thought.
  4. Joined
    15 Jun '10
    Moves
    19 Mar '23 09:14
    @fmf said
    Mick Jagger sang something like 'Do unto strangers, what you do to yourself.'

Which is sort of evolutionary, although I'm not sure what he meant by that.....
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    19 Mar '23 09:45
    @indonesia-phil said
    Mick Jagger sang something like 'Do unto strangers, what you do to yourself.'

Which is sort of evolutionary, although I'm not sure what he meant by that.....
    As Zappa sang:

Do what you wanna
    Do what you will
    Just don't mess up
    Your neighbor's thrill
    'N when you pay the bill
    Kindly leave a little tip
    And help the next poor sucker
    On his one way trip
  6. Joined
    14 Mar '04
    Moves
    19 Mar '23 12:47
    @fmf said
    Seems there’s a change in the wording from “ love” to “hate”.😢
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 02:07
    @great-big-stees said
    Seems there’s a change in the wording from “ love” to “hate”.😢
    I think the fact that some people have a God figure who they believe hates "sin" is used by many of those people to justify their replacement of "love" with "hate" in their perception and interaction with people they adjudge to be "sinners".
  8. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 13:306 edits
    @fmf said
    This has not evolved over time. It's just as true now as the day it was written. Treating people with the same respect as you would like to have for yourself is the foundation of civilized behavior. So, you don't have to approach "this evolution" differently because there is no evolution.

Many people have lost site of the fact that Gods laws and teachings were not designed to unduly restrict us, but rather to keep us from destroying ourselves, and each other.

Now, if you'll excuse, the WA Open is 6 weeks away, and as Vince Lombardi once said: "The will to prepare to win is more important than the will to win!" 😏
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 15:38
    @mchill said
    This has not evolved over time. It's just as true now as the day it was written. Treating people with the same respect as you would like to have for yourself is the foundation of civilized behavior. So, you don't have to approach "this evolution" differently because there is no evolution.
    You don't have to approach "this evolution" differently because there is no evolution

How about the status of women? How about tolerance of homosexuality? How about the rejection of slavery? How about the turn away from capital punishment? What about the emergence of the notion of individual human rights? Just five examples. No change? No evolution?
  10. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 15:41
    @plantermoo said

The Bible clearly supported slavery. Thank goodness we have evolved on from those days. (Difficult to love your neighbour when your neighbour is viewed as property).
  11. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 15:45
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    The Bible clearly supported slavery. Thank goodness we have evolved on from those days. (Difficult to love your neighbour when your neighbour is viewed as property).
    I disagree.

The Bible mentioned slavery multiple times and even gave some guidelines regarding it but did not specifically support it.
  12. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 15:481 edit
    @mchill said
    I disagree.

The Bible mentioned slavery multiple times and even gave some guidelines regarding it but did not specifically support it.
    In Ephesians 6:5-8 Paul states, “Slaves, be obedient to your human masters with fear and trembling, in sincerity of heart, as to Christ”

How is the above not specifically supporting slavery?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 15:51
    I sometimes wonder if some Christians actually know what's in the Bible.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 15:52
    @mchill said
    I disagree.

You really are ignorant [like typical Christians], about what the bible contains. The bible supports the Jews enslaving others. Now what you can claim is that there were good reasons for this at that time since these people wanted to destroy the Jews as well. Here is the Law of Moses on this matter of having people as possessions

Both thy bondmen, and thy bondmaids, which thou shalt have, shall be of the heathen that are round about you; of them shall ye buy bondmen and bondmaids. Moreover of the children of the strangers that do sojourn among you, of them shall ye buy, and of their families that are with you, which they begat in your land: and they shall be your possession. And ye shall take them as an inheritance for your children after you, to inherit them for a possession; they shall be your bondmen for ever: but over your brethren the children of Israel, ye shall not rule one over another with rigour. (Leviticus 25:44-46 KJV)
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    20 Mar '23 15:54
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    I sometimes wonder if some Christians actually know what's in the Bible.
    Christian churches do not preach what the bible contains. They preach that they are saved and everyone else is going to hell.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree