Literal vs Metaphor challenge

Literal vs Metaphor challenge

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
07 Nov 18

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Did you just equate an atheist with a lifeless blob?!
That was for the claim that the unborn/born absolutely have no religious affiliations. As if that was a fact that couldn’t be challenged, granted only those that accept scripture would see it, unless they change the text into metaphors, or reject the author, or ....,,

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Nov 18
1 edit

@kellyjay said
You deflected and refused to answer during the discussion. Now I don’t care what you think about those topics.
I think what the real truth is that once I answered your question (on the previous page), you decided not to persue the subject as you realised that you were in a potential “checkmate” scenario so you ducked out.

I see through you old boy.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
08 Nov 18
1 edit

@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Conversely, does the baby come out declaring -

"Oh, I just want you all to know, I believe in God"?

I think that something like "an age of accountability" is probably true.

(Babies are born with a lack of speech and a complete lack of belief in the divine, rendering them atheists).

So the several plants under the window in the living room where I am are atheists ?

So the few pebbles and rocks in the garden outside are all atheists ?

I don't buy that. It would also imply that a corpse is immediately an atheist regardless if she had been a theist for all of her adult life.

Moves
08 Nov 18

@sonship said
@Ghost-of-a-Duke

Conversely, does the baby come out declaring -

"Oh, I just want you all to know, I believe in God"?

I think that something like "an age of accountability" is probably true.

(Babies are born with a lack of speech and a complete lack of belief in the divine, rendering them atheists).

So the several plants un ...[text shortened]... at a corpse is immediately an atheist regardless if she had been a theist for all of her adult life.
Sorry I was discussing babies, not plants or pebbles.

Definition of atheist:

'A 'person' who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods.'

F

Moves
08 Nov 18

@kellyjay said
That was for the claim that the unborn/born absolutely have no religious affiliations.
Religious affiliations are a product of nurture and not present when one is born. If you had been born here in my country and had found religion in your 20s or whenever it was, your religious affiliation now would most likely be to Islam and it would not have been the case at the time you were born.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Nov 18
1 edit

KellyJay has decided to duck out; is there anyone else who wants to defend his inference that despite being born into original sin a foetus has a belief that god exists?

Not sure if this means a “belief unto salvation” or just a sort of vague understanding that there is a god.

Moves
08 Nov 18

@divegeester said
KellyJay has decided to duck out; is there anyone else who wants to defend his inference that despite being born into original sin a foetus has a belief that god exists?

Not sure if this means a “belief unto salvation” or just a sort of vague understanding that their is a god.
Many theists misconstrue this notion of a person being born with a belief or awareness of the divine.

In actuality a person is born with a fear and uncertainty of the world around them, which in turn manifests itself (for many) in a theistic outlook to provide answers and reassurance.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Nov 18
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said
Many theists misconstrue this notion of a person being born with a belief or awareness of the divine.

In actuality a person is born with a fear and uncertainty of the world around them, which in turn manifests itself (for many) in a theistic outlook to provide answers and reassurance.
Agreed.

Also however from a Christian theological perspective those who believe in the doctrines of both eternal torture + original sin need to consider the consequences of their beliefs.

I’ve always found this is one good way to test doctrine; to pair the doctrine with other doctrines and see if it stacks up. Clearly the doctrine of eternal suffering combined with the doctrine of original sin means that’s babies cannot have a “belief unto salvation” and therefore go straight to Hell.

KellyJay recognised this in my reply to him which is why he wisely chose to duck out of the conversation.

KellyJay this is a great example to you of why the doctrine of enteral suffering is error. Have a think about it.

F

Moves
08 Nov 18

@divegeester said

Not sure if this means a “belief unto salvation” or just a sort of vague understanding that their is a god.
Grampy Bobby used to claim that humans' "sinful" nature is passed on to the next generation through human sperm.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Nov 18

@fmf said
Grampy Bobby used to claim that humans' "sinful" nature is passed on to the next generation through human sperm.
He probably extrapolated that from the biblical explaination that we were all “in Adam” when he sinned and therefore all have sinned or have the sinner nature or unregenerate spirit.

It begs the question that if Adam had not sinned then would the entire human race have been auto-saved. Or what if one of Adams great grandchildren had sinned would just their offspring have been unregenerated? What if an unregenerate person had a child with a regenerated child?

There is a passage in the NT which speaks about one partner being made whole by the saved partner “or your children would be unclean”. Not unsaved, unclean.

It’s a logical, scriptural and moral minefield.

Moves
08 Nov 18

@divegeester said
He probably extrapolated that from the biblical explaination that we were all “in Adam” when he sinned and therefore all have sinned or have the sinner nature or unregenerate spirit.

It begs the question that if Adam had not sinned then would the entire human race have been auto-saved. Or what if one of Adams great grandchildren had sinned would just their offspring h ...[text shortened]... hildren would be unclean”. Not unsaved, unclean.

It’s a logical, scriptural and moral minefield.
For me such contemplations are moot.

Humans evolved from Homo sapiens (from the genus Homo) not from a perfectly formed pair of humans in a garden. Therefore, if there were no 'literal' Adam and Eve there couldn't be a 'literal' original sin either.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Nov 18

@ghost-of-a-duke said
I’m aware of that of course, but the topic becomes interesting when dropped into the theism of some of the posters in this forum.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Nov 18

@fmf said
Religious affiliations are a product of nurture and not present when one is born. If you had been born here in my country and had found religion in your 20s or whenever it was, your religious affiliation now would most likely be to Islam and it would not have been the case at the time you were born.
Two different things, what you are taught and what you had a birth. Assuming one
is the same as the other, is just that an assumption.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
08 Nov 18
1 edit

@ghost-of-a-duke said

Humans evolved from Homo sapiens (from the genus Homo) not from a perfectly formed pair of humans in a garden. Therefore, if there were no 'literal' Adam and Eve there couldn't be a 'literal' original sin either.
Your belief system doesn't line up with the text so the text is wrong, there are a lot
of people of that mindset.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
08 Nov 18
1 edit

@kellyjay said
Your belief system doesn't line up with the text so the text is wrong, there are a lot
of people of that mindset.
Ghost of a Duke is an atheist, why should he be concerned if his “beliefs do not line up with the text”?