Is there any meaning in life without God?

Is there any meaning in life without God?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
13 Apr 05

Originally posted by Coletti
On what basis?
On the basis of certain experiences resulting from meditation, and abductive inference based on the teachings of mystics across times and cultures. You should read Aldous Huxley's The Perennial Philosophy.

C
W.P. Extraordinaire

State of Franklin

Moves
13 Apr 05

Originally posted by bbarr
On the basis of certain experiences resulting from meditation, and abductive inference based on the teachings of mystics across times and cultures. You should read Aldous Huxley's The Perennial Philosophy.
I just might do that.

Is this any good for information on PP http://radicalacademy.com/philsummary.htm

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
13 Apr 05

You actually know people who have never been sad or mean? You know people who have never said a cross word to anyone???

I think since you keep bringing it up - it is you who is brooding over the issue. I don't have any problems with it. I wonder if we checked the frequency you have posted on the issue, if it would be 1 or 2 out of 3 posts?
If by "consistently" you meant "every single moment of every single day" then I suppose you are right. I think most people would use consistently to mean "most or a large amount of the time". By that definition, I think many, if not most, people are "consistently peaceful and loving".

I post in a lot of places and in other Forums, too; it keeps me busy waiting for my sluggard opponents to move. I do think that your and the other "Christians" view that the human race's nature is "vile" "evil" and "depraved" is the key to your belief systems.
As such, I was wondering why you would believe such a thing since it seems unlikely that you see much evidence of such in your daily lives (at least I hope you don't; I know I don't). The only answer I've got is 'cuz the Bible says so. I guess that's good enough for you guys. Interesting.

Chief Justice

Center of Contention

Moves
13 Apr 05

I just might do that.

Is this any good for information on PP http://radicalacademy.com/philsummary.htm
No, that is not a good summary. I don't know quite what that is, but I know that the Perennial Philosophy is not a version of Aristotelian realism.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
13 Apr 05

Originally posted by Darfius
Basically, and attempting to bring it to others.
Hmm. Which is it? Peace, love, security, etc, or glorifying God?

The Apologist

Moves
13 Apr 05

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Hmm. Which is it? Peace, love, security, etc, or glorifying God?
That's how we glorify God while we're on Earth.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
13 Apr 05

That's how we glorify God while we're on Earth.
How is that? By attaining peace, love etc? I thought you glorified God by being a Born Again Christian?

Either the meaning of life is glorifying God, and these nice things are just pleasant side effects of attaining the meaning, or the meaning is peace, security, etc, and glorifying God is a side effect. Right? Which one is the actual meaning?

The Apologist

Moves
13 Apr 05

How is that? By attaining peace, love etc? I thought you glorified God by being a Born Again Christian?

Either the meaning of life is glorifying God, and these nice things are just pleasant side effects of attaining the meaning, or the meaning is peace, security, etc, and glorifying God is a side effect. Right? Which one is the actual meaning?
The former. The meaning of our lives is to glorify God and those are pleasant side effects.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
14 Apr 05
1 edit

The former. The meaning of our lives is to glorify God and those are pleasant side effects.
So I guess you made an error with your earlier post then?

I don't think glorifying anyone or anything is a worthy "meaning of life". I prefer your earlier answer. I think happiness, security, pleasure, love, and such things are a worthy "meaning of life" and I don't believe you that one must be a Born Again to attain these things.

m

Moves
14 Apr 05

What is a false god, One that U have not learnt anything about. What makes the god U believe in more true than a god someone else believes in.

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by matt01
What is a false god, One that U have not learnt anything about. What makes the god U believe in more true than a god someone else believes in.
A false God is dead. Go check out their graves. Our God is alive.

Moves
14 Apr 05

So I guess you made an error with your earlier post then?

I don't think glorifying anyone or anything is a worthy "meaning of life". I prefer your earlier answer. I think happiness, security, pleasure, love, and such things are a worthy "meaning of life" and I don't believe you that one must be a Born Again to attain these things.
True happiness, security, pleasure, love, can only be obtained from God. Sure you can experience happiness, pleasure, love etc, if you are not a Born Again. But the problem is that it is only fleeting and temporary. You can never be truely satisfied. You always crave more but you are never filled. The difference is that when you become a born again believer, God fills the empty vacuum inside you and by glorifying God with your life you obtain true happiness, security, pleasure, love, etc. and thus true "meaning in life".

S

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by dj2becker
True happiness, security, pleasure, love, can only be obtained from God. Sure you can experience happiness, pleasure, love etc, if you are not a Born Again. But the problem is that it is only fleeting and temporary. You can never be truely satisfied. You always crave more but you are never filled. The difference is that when you become a born again believe ...[text shortened]... ife you obtain true happiness, security, pleasure, love, etc. and thus true "meaning in life".
How do you know this happiness is fleeting and temporary? What makes you so sure that it cannot be permanent?

e

Moves
14 Apr 05
1 edit

Originally posted by dj2becker
True happiness, security, pleasure, love, can only be obtained from God. Sure you can experience happiness, pleasure, love etc, if you are not a Born Again. But the problem is that it is only fleeting and temporary. You can never be truel ...[text shortened]... security, pleasure, love, etc. and thus true "meaning in life".
Buddhist teaching disputes your claim.

The qualities of compassion, kindness, love, and the wisdom of insight are inherent in our being. The strong disturbing emotions of fundamental ignorance, greed, anger, pride and envy cloud our perception of our pure nature. These qualities are not fleeting when fully realized.

How can you make such claims when you don't know the nature of your own mind, that which is the basis for all happiness and unhappiness? It's equivalent to claiming you can't reach the shore of the far side of the river, yet a boat is available for the traversing but you won't use it.

Moves
14 Apr 05

Originally posted by Starrman
How do you know this happiness is fleeting and temporary? What makes you so sure that it cannot be permanent?
Think about the things that bring you 'happiness'. Are they temporary?