Is the trinity pagan ?

Is the trinity pagan ?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by Proper Knob
[b]In retrospect, I readily admit that the Bible does not explicitly state that the earth was enshrouded in heavy gases and water.

Why were you claiming that it did then?[/b]
well now I am not.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
well now I am not.
I know that, what made you change your mind?

rc

Moves
04 Sep 12
1 edit

I know that, what made you change your mind?
ok, i thought that i could argue my case based on what was written, I realise now that I
cannot and will need to accept the fact that the best i can hope for is to state that its
inferred and even then, its no mean feat.

anyhow why have you a quotation from a noteworthy chess arteest on your profile?
Have you obtained permission, it may be subject to copyright , you know 😛

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Sep 12

anyhow why have you a quotation from a noteworthy chess arteest on your profile?
Have you obtained permission, it may be subject to copyright , you know 😛
Changing the subject now?

Hey, PK, I didn't realize you were a drummer.

So that's what's wrong with you.

😛

rc

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
Changing the subject now?

😛
bitchin forum that a way, this is spirituality, either post something with spiritual content
or take it to the bitchin forums.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Sep 12

bitchin forum that a way, this is spirituality, either post something with spiritual content
or take it to the bitchin forums.
Hey, why don't you kiss my dead grandmother's ass?

Is that spiritual enough for you?

rc

Moves
04 Sep 12

oh dear, sup, bad hair day?

F

Moves
04 Sep 12

😛
I think you might be thinking of bass players.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by FMF
I think you might be thinking of bass players.
Bass players still read music, no matter what other foul habits they maintain. 😉

F

Moves
04 Sep 12

Bass players still read music...
Wow. Now THAT's what I call a real band!

Out of my depth now, me.

Here's some of my music under my alias Plop.

http://plopconsortium.blogspot.com/

* Note: no reading of music was involved in the making of this material, although I cannot promise that music was not harmed during the process of making it.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Sep 12

Your ignorance knows no bounds, the King James version is a translation of a
translation, that being the Latin Vulgate, there could have been no more than a
handful of Greek manuscripts available to the translators and yet here you are
telling us that there has been no progress in translation since the middle ages, suck
this up fat boy,

A ...[text shortened]... kness rather than light and to
shroud yourself with with error rather than truth.
I have already discussed Jason BeDuhn's bias for the NWY before. Enough said.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Sep 12

[b]In retrospect, I readily admit that the Bible does not explicitly state that the earth was enshrouded in heavy gases and water.

Why were you claiming that it did then?[/b]
God placed something above the Earth called a firmament that had water above it. This is where a lot of he water came from when it rained on the Earth for 40 days and nights during the worldwide flood of Noah's day. The Holy Bible does not say what this firmament is made of, but it is firm enough to keep the water above it from falling to Earth for a long time. I believe he is speculating about what this firmament might be made of.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Sep 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
I have already discussed Jason BeDuhn's bias for the NWY before. Enough said.
But yours is better if your a trinitairian, right?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Sep 12

That doesn't sound very Christian of you. How about turning the other cheek? Ha ha 😀

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
04 Sep 12

You guys really should read these and do some research.....

In the Encyclopedia of Religion we read the following, »Theologians today are in agreement that the Hebrew Bible does not contain a doctrine of the Trinity. … Theologians agree that the New Testament also does not contain an explicit doctrine of the Trinity.«

The Jesuit Edmund Fortman states in his book »The Triune God«, »The New Testament writers … give us no formal or formulated doctrine of the Trinity, no explicit teaching that in one God there are three coequal divine persons … There is no evidence that any sacred writer even suspected the existence of a Trinity within the Godhead.«

The New Encyclopædia Britannica writes, »Neither the word Trinity nor the explicit doctrine appears in the New Testament.«

In the Encyclopædia of Religion and Ethics the writer states, »At first the Christian faith was not Trinitarian … It was not so in the apostolic and sub-apostolic ages, as reflected in the New Testament and other early Christian writings.«

In the New Catholic Encyclopedia it is written, »The formulation ‘one God in three Persons’ was not solidly established, certainly not fully assimilated into Christian life and its profession of faith, prior to the end of the 4th century.«

In the Encyclopedia Americana we find the following statement, »Fourth century Trinitarianism did not reflect accurately early Christian teaching regarding the nature of God; it was, on the contrary, a deviation from this teaching.«

Many centuries before Christ, there were triads, or trinities, of gods in ancient Babylonia and Assyria. The French Larousse Encyclopedia of Mythology notes one such triad in the Mesopotamian area: »The universe was divided into three regions; each of which became the domain of a god … the triad of the Great Gods.«

The historian Will Durant makes the following remark, »Christianity did not destroy paganism; it adopted it … From Egypt came the ideas of a divine trinity.«

The book » Symbolism of Hindu Gods and Rituals« states, regarding a Hindu Trinity that existed centuries before Christ: »Shiva is one of the gods of the Trinity. He is said to be the god of destruction. The other two gods are Brahma, the god of creation, and Vishnu, the god of maintenance …«

The writings of »The Church of the First Three Centuries« carry the following statement: »The doctrine of the Trinity was of gradual and comparatively late formation; … it had its origin in a source entirely foreign from that of the Jewish and Christian Scriptures; … it grew up, and was engrafted on Christianity, through the hands of the Platonizing Fathers.«

The New Shaff-Herzog Encyclopedia of Religious Knowledge confirms this: »The doctrines of the Logos and the Trinity received their shape from Greek Fathers, who … were much influenced, directly or indirectly, by the Platonic philosophy.«