Is suicide a sin?

Is suicide a sin?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by divegeester
thoughts?
Whether it is a "sin" to Christians ~ i.e. an act regarded by believers and theologians as a transgression of God's will ~ depends surely on what the Bible has to say about the act?

Mar-a-Lago

Moves
01 Dec 15

Its complicated.
What about JW's refusing a blood transfusion then dying.
Some would say that was suicide but they think they are obeying the word of God.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
01 Dec 15

"Sin" is just disobeying your own version of the rules of your own god.
Completely subjective.

But I'm sure anyone about to commit suicide doesn't consider if it's against any law or not.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by wolfgang59
But I'm sure anyone about to commit suicide doesn't consider if it's against any law or not.
I suspect some have chosen not to commit suicide because they believe it to be a sin. Certainly those that preach that it is a sin do so primarily to discourage people from committing suicide.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Dec 15

Also of note, whether or not is it a sin, depending on your denomination you may be denied a place in a graveyard or other last rights.

Cape Town

Moves
01 Dec 15

Unless that God also provided free will.
I have to say that many people who commit suicide do so due to depression, and one could argue that free will is not involved.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
01 Dec 15

thoughts?
I would say that it depends on the situation. As always Christ will judge. There is no Biblical support for the claim that some make that all suicide is a sin.

An interesting case is the Siege of Masada where about 1000 Jews committed suicide as the situation was hopeless and to have fallen into the hands of the Romans would have been worse.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Dec 15
2 edits

Originally posted by DeepThought
Isn't that simply an argument for breaking any commandment? That we can do something doesn't mean we should do something. In the case of suicide I can think of circumstances where most humans wouldn't judge it amiss - various medical scenarios, or hopeless situations where it really is the lesser of two evils for example the case of Guy Fawkes who leap ...[text shortened]... ven to distraction by the posters in these forums doesn't quite reach that level of desperation.
I think you may have wrapped up a good question in a misunderstanding about my reply to twhitehead and your interpretation of my profile.

twhitehead's point is a good one to someone who believes that God pre-ordains absolutely everything. I don't believe that, I think, imagine, conceive (whichever you prefer), that we have at least to some extent, free will. I am also not convinced that suicide is a specific sin, and even if it is, as checkbaiter has suggested, then what are the consequences of committing that sin? Life is over, heaven awaits. Unless of course one believes that God deals with the weak and despairing of this world by casting them into hell. Of course if you are a Christian and commit suicide, then you lose your salvation.

As for my profile; it has nothing to do with this thread so please don't be concerned, I'm not thinking of topping myself due to my current weariness with some of the less attractive aspects of some posters 🙂

Edit: this thread was prompted by Grampy Bobby's controversial comments in the "Our ethical Creeds" Thread 166409 in the GF.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
I have to say that many people who commit suicide do so due to depression, and one could argue that free will is not involved.
Agreed.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by Rajk999
I would say that it depends on the situation. As always Christ will judge. There is no Biblical support for the claim that some make that all suicide is a sin.

An interesting case is the Siege of Masada where about 1000 Jews committed suicide as the situation was hopeless and to have fallen into the hands of the Romans would have been worse.
I wasn't aware of that account, thanks.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by twhitehead
I suspect some have chosen not to commit suicide because they believe it to be a sin. Certainly those that preach that it is a sin do so primarily to discourage people from committing suicide.
You may be correct, but I would think that suicide being a "sin" is in itself, not sufficient to stop someone who is severely depressed. It would at least need to be combined with the threat of going to hell. I wouldn't know though; if one is in such a fragile mental condition would faith in the church be of any use whatsoever.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by FMF
Whether it is a "sin" to Christians ~ i.e. an act regarded by believers and theologians as a transgression of God's will ~ depends surely on what the Bible has to say about the act?
Interestingly the Bible says virtually nothing on it, as far as I am aware.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by Captain Strange
Its complicated.
What about JW's refusing a blood transfusion then dying.
Some would say that was suicide but they think they are obeying the word of God.
Wasn't Jesus sacrifice in effect, suicide?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
It's more a "not enduring through to the end" kind of a thing, I suppose.

So yeah, on second (or third) thought, not trusting God. I can see that angle.
Are you saying that you hold suicide to be a sin?

If so can I ask you the same question; what are the consequences of that specific sin?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
01 Dec 15

I wasn't aware of that account, thanks.
The death of King Saul as well, for all practical purposes can be considered a suicide as he asked one of his captains to kill him, as his situation was hopeless. Although he was not a perfect king in his ability to follow God, I'm pretty sure that his place in the Kingdom of God is certain as he was a chosen king by God himself.