1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 14:04
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Is that a yes or a no?
    Before I answer, step away from the ledge.......
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 14:23
    Ok, and what are the consequences, if any, of that particular sin?
    If you are a believer, no rewards... if an unbeliever, the end is the same.
  3. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 18:11
    Originally posted by whodey
    Before I answer, step away from the ledge.......
    Are you embarrassed to say what you believe?
  4. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 18:12
    Originally posted by checkbaiter
    If you are a believer, no rewards... if an unbeliever, the end is the same.
    So there is no consequence of committing suicide despite you believing it is a sin?
  5. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 18:32
    I think you may have wrapped up a good question in a misunderstanding about my reply to twhitehead and your interpretation of my profile.

twhitehead's point is a good one to someone who believes that God pre-ordains absolutely everything. I don't believe that, I think, imagine, conceive (whichever you prefer), that we have at least to some extent, fr ...[text shortened]... controversial comments in the [b]"Our ethical Creeds"
    Thread 166409 in the GF.[/b]
    I didn't think you were likely to have become a suicide risk over these forums.

Predestination is somewhat complex though, the Calvinists have this notion that everything is pre-ordained, but one is nevertheless responsible for one's actions - so they have the apparently contradictory notion of predestination and free will. Although if predestination exists then a suicide is predestined to suicide and so as a matter of logic it must be part of God's plan. My brain rebels against this notion.

I think it must depend on the reason for the suicide. So if the purpose of the suicide is "to make them sorry" then yes I think it is a sin (*). But if it is a matter of avoiding intolerable suffering it is not.

I think in Roman Catholic canon the sin is to abandon hope and fail to trust in God's provenance - and that would seem to apply to at least some suicides.

Thanks for the context, I see the purpose of the thread now. Speaking for myself I would not commit suicide except under extreme circumstances, precisely because of the effect on family and friends. I've never been all that tempted anyway.

(*) In a sort of secular sense. I'm using the word to mean a wrong, rather than a specific transgression of divine commandment. I think it is possible to sin against oneself.
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 18:34
    So there is no consequence of committing suicide despite you believing it is a sin?
    Do you take "no rewards for a believer" lightly?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 19:15
    Do you have a reference in the Bible that explains clearly the phrase in quotation marks?
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 22:111 edit
    I don't know what that means in terms of being a consequence of sin through suicide. Can you explain please?

Edit: one aspect is scriptural, as per rajk's request; I'm also interested in you non scriptural POV if you care to expand.
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    01 Dec '15 23:18
    I don't know what that means in terms of being a consequence of sin through suicide. Can you explain please?

Edit: one aspect is scriptural, as per rajk's request; I'm also interested in you non scriptural POV if you care to expand.
    Christians earn rewards or crowns for being faithful to God and standing on his word. To sin like that, I believe you would lose any rewards. You would still be "saved" but by the skin of your teeth, and crowns would be forfeited. A believer in sin would be "ashamed" at his coming.
  10. PenTesting
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 00:281 edit
    Christians earn rewards or crowns for being faithful to God and standing on his word. To sin like that, I believe you would lose any rewards. You would still be "saved" but by the skin of your teeth, and crowns would be forfeited. A believer in sin would be "ashamed" at his coming.
    So the murderer in Joe's thread [Why Christianity is dangerous], would still be in the Kingdom of God living it up and living forever, while those he murdered, if they are not saved Christians, would be burning in eternal torment.

Nice doctrine you have there pal .. kinda sick and disgusting, but that's what you believe.
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 08:30
    Ok thanks.

To be clear, this is just your opinion, you have no scripture to support this?
  12. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 09:38
    Ok thanks.

I'm also interested in you non scriptural POV if you care to expand.

Didn't you say you were interested in his non-scriptural POV?

Seems petty to then turn around and complain that he has no scripture to back it up.
  13. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 13:39
    Ok thanks.

One day we will all stand before Jesus at the Bema, the Judgment Seat.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15 KJV
    (13) Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.
    (14) If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.
    (15) If any man’s work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.

We will receive rewards, and our not-so-popular works will be “burned.” Maybe we should help him and destroy some of those works now.

2 Corinthians 5:10
    For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive what is due him for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

When Christ returns, every reward will be meaningful, and all punishment will be merited. As much as people complicate Christianity and the Scriptures, at the heart of it all is the unfailing love of our Father, and the open arms of our Lord.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 13:55
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    [b] I'm also interested in you non scriptural POV if you care to expand.

Didn't you say you were interested in his non-scriptural POV?

Seems petty to then turn around and complain that he has no scripture to back it up.[/b]
    I didn't ask him too expand I'm checking that this is his personal opinion and not based on scripture. Why don't you answer the question I asked you instead of jumping into swing a punch at me?
  15. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    02 Dec '15 14:13
    One day we will all stand before Jesus at the Bema, the Judgment Seat.

1 Corinthians 3:13-15 KJV
    (13) Every man’s work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man’s work of what sort it is.
    (14) If any man’s work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall ...[text shortened]... ures, at the heart of it all is the unfailing love of our Father, and the open arms of our Lord.
    I don't think these scriptures support your premise that a) suicide is a sin and this specific sin means that the person committing suicide loses their heavenly reward.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree