Is slavery part of Sharia law?

Is slavery part of Sharia law?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back to basics

About

Moves
17 Oct 14

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
It doesn't say anything about owning slaves.
Slaves are 'owned' by definition.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Oct 14

Originally posted by whodey
Fundamentalists? I'm a fundamentalist and don't advocate slavery. I know other fundamentalists who don't advocate slavery. In fact, in Mosaic law slaves are freed after so many years, but no such law under Sharia law.

Jesus said that he came to set the captives free. He even challenged the thinking on Mosaic law when he showed mercy on the woman caught ...[text shortened]... respond if the Vatican began beheading people like they do in "moderate" Saudi Arabia?

Idiot.
As I recall, some slaves are freed in Mosaic Law, not all of them.

Cape Town

Moves
17 Oct 14

Jesus said that he came to set the captives free. He even challenged the thinking on Mosaic law when he showed mercy on the woman caught in adultery, something that Mohammad never did.
He never once spoke out against slavery in a direct way that got recorded in the Bible.
He never even said that the woman caught in adultery should not be stoned. Instead as you say, he 'showed mercy' implying that he still thought that stoning was a just punishment. In fact he quite clearly stated that stoning was the correct punishment by the law handed down by God.

w

Moves
17 Oct 14
2 edits

Originally posted by Proper Knob
As I recall, some slaves are freed in Mosaic Law, not all of them.
Read again. Every so many years they are freed.

Slavery is the natural state of fallen man. Looking at history, the vast majority of men have been slaves.

The Mosaic law broke the chain as it created a Sabbath for all, including slaves, and set slaves free every so many years.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
17 Oct 14

Read again. Every so many years they are freed.

Slavery is the natural state of fallen man. Looking at history, the vast majority of men have been slaves.

The Mosaic law broke the chain as it created a Sabbath for all, including slaves, and set slaves free every so many years.
I read it again, and I was correct.

Leviticus 25:44-46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.

There were different rules for Israelites and 'foreigners' when it came to slavery.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Oct 14

Originally posted by josephw
I know not every poster is American. A lot of people wish they were. There's nothing better.

LOL
What else have you tried?

Seriously;
have you looked at other religions?
have you looked at other cultures?
have you looked at other countries?

I would have thought that as a Christian
the USA would be a very poor address.

F

Moves
18 Oct 14

Any religion that imposes slavery, crucifies children, and kills those who don't convert should be treated with intolerance.
Do you have any concrete suggestions as to what form this "intolerance" should take?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Oct 14

Originally posted by Lundos
Slaves are 'owned' by definition.
The Bible is not addressing the slave owner in that passage. It's addressing the slave.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
20 Oct 14

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I read it again, and I was correct.

Leviticus 25:44-46

44 “‘Your male and female slaves are to come from the nations around you; from them you may buy slaves. 45 You may also buy some of the temporary residents living among you and members of their clans born in your country, and they will become your property. 46 [b]You can bequeath them to your c ...[text shortened]... thlessly.

There were different rules for Israelites and 'foreigners' when it came to slavery.
OK now THIS is about owning slaves.