Is slavery part of Sharia law?

Is slavery part of Sharia law?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

w

Moves
14 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
On the Debates Forum are you supporting the military efforts to confront ISIS?
I've steered clear of the topic by and large.

I have no faith in the current administration to suggest they do anything.

w

Moves
14 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
I think that any religionists that try to impose slavery, crucifies children, and kills those who don't convert should be confronted.
How should they be confronted?

F

Moves
14 Oct 14

Originally posted by whodey
I've steered clear of the topic by and large.

I have no faith in the current administration to suggest they do anything.
So you oppose the military efforts to confront ISIS?

F

Moves
14 Oct 14

How should they be confronted?
It's your thread. Make some proposals and let's see if they seem feasible.

F

Moves
14 Oct 14

Any religion that imposes slavery, crucifies children, and kills those who don't convert should be treated with intolerance.
Do you have any concrete ideas about how this "intolerance" should manifest itself?

w

Moves
14 Oct 14

Originally posted by FMF
So you oppose the military efforts to confront ISIS?
I oppose an irresponsible government that invades a given country, takes over, and then leaves abruptly leaving a power vacuum of chaos and killing.

We see this pattern over and over again and I'm sick of it.

F

Moves
14 Oct 14
1 edit

I oppose an irresponsible government that invades a given country, takes over, and then leaves abruptly leaving a power vacuum of chaos and killing.

We see this pattern over and over again and I'm sick of it.
So you think ISIS should be left to it and that "slavery, crucifying children, and killing those who don't convert" should continue within its domain? I doubt that you do. Do you have any concrete suggestions as to what form "intolerance" of it should take?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
15 Oct 14

http://news.yahoo.com/islamic-state-seeks-justify-enslaving-yazidi-women-girls-150713031.html

This thread is inspired by ISIS claims that they are implementing Sharia law by taking prisoner the women and children of combatants and making them slaves.

Is slavery justified under Sharia law?
We KNOW slavery was condoned under Christian law so why are you picking on Islam? Are you trying to claim Christianity is morally superior to Islam?

F

Moves
15 Oct 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
We KNOW slavery was condoned under Christian law so why are you picking on Islam? Are you trying to claim Christianity is morally superior to Islam?
Are you suggesting that if it were modern Christians conducting military operations in Iraq and Syria right now in order to set up a theocracy, it would not be "morally superior" to what ISIS is currently doing and what it wants to achieve?

Infidel

Moves
15 Oct 14

Any religion that imposes slavery, crucifies children, and kills those who don't convert should be treated with intolerance.

Or do you disagree?
How should this intolerance towards Islam look in practice? What actions need to be taken?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Oct 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
I am fairly sure I am right. Its right there in black and white in their holy book.

[b]Intolerance? Since when is it wrong to be intolerant of that which is wrong?

I fully agree. Your nonsensical beliefs are wrong and I am intolerant of them.

Wasn't it you that said we live in a dog eat dog world?
Nope, I have never said that. Nor have ...[text shortened]... ng. How can I be more intolerant of your ignorance so that you actually go and get an education?[/b]
Originally posted by josephw
Wasn't it you that said we live in a dog eat dog world?

"Nope, I have never said that. Nor have I ever seen a dog eat another dog."

In another thread you said the following:

"Evolution encourages competition.

It depends on which suffering in particular, but yes, most suffering can be explained in terms of evolution, but you'll have to be more specific.
War, is largely a result of competition amongst humans - very well explained by evolution.
Disease is a result of the evolution of various pathogens etc.
Cancer, is well known to be a result of evolution.
Old age is well known to be a result of evolution.
Even religion and the suffering it results in can be explained in terms of evolution."

Followed by this by wolfgang:

Originally posted by wolfgang59
"Evolution is dog eat dog. The best survive. Kill or be killed."

For all intents and purposes evolution is exemplified by what we see in nature, which is savage and brutal. It is "dog eat dog" out there at all levels of human activity. That you've never seen a dog eat a dog only tells me you've never been in the wild. Dogs will eat anything.

"How can I be more intolerant of your ignorance so that you actually go and get an education?"

Don't underestimate me T. I wish you well in all your endeavors. May your education provide you with achievement and success.

Cape Town

Moves
15 Oct 14

Originally posted by josephw
Originally posted by wolfgang59
"Evolution is dog eat dog. The best survive. Kill or be killed."
So, it wasn't me.

That you've never seen a dog eat a dog only tells me you've never been in the wild. Dogs will eat anything.
I have spent quite a lot of time in the wild, but where I come from, there are no wild dogs (around Livingstone, Zambia that is). There are stray dogs, but I have not seen them eat each other.
Here in Cape Town, I saw a poisonous snake a few weeks a go on Table Mountain. But again, no dogs eating dogs.

Don't underestimate me T. I wish you well in all your endeavors. May your education provide you with achievement and success.
I also hope it provides me achievement and success, but a large part of my education is not obtained with that in mind. I just think it is important to know about the world around me instead of living in a world of delusions as you do.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
15 Oct 14

So, it wasn't me.

[b]That you've never seen a dog eat a dog only tells me you've never been in the wild. Dogs will eat anything.

I have spent quite a lot of time in the wild, but where I come from, there are no wild dogs (around Livingstone, Zambia that is). There are stray dogs, but I have not seen them eat each other.
Here in Cape Town, I saw a ...[text shortened]... important to know about the world around me instead of living in a world of delusions as you do.[/b]
Wolfgang's post was in reply to the same post you replied to. Your reply has the same intent. Competition, or dog eat dog, in the context of evolution has the same meaning.

"I just think it is important to know about the world around me instead of living in a world of delusions as you do."

You're the one who says there's no God. Don't you think that qualifies you as delusional? Be that as it may, we live in the same world. You want to belittle me? Go ahead. I've been called worse.

I don't believe education or intelligence has anything to do with our respective perceptions. It's about what is spiritual. You have the same capacity as I to know God, but you engage your senses in perceiving the material world as having come into existence by chance.

Not possible!

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
16 Oct 14

Arguing about a very common English idiomatic phrase!
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/dog+eat+dog

Have you heard anyone say "That's the dog's bollocks"?
You will be disappointed if you take it literally.

w

Moves
16 Oct 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
What Christians today advocate slavery?

The argument is disingenuous.