Is Christianiy the best religion?

Is Christianiy the best religion?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Isn't that what you're advocating?
No, I'm advocating flexibility. If a doctrine comes to be seen as outworn and no longer meeting people's needs, it can be changed. Archaic Judaism allowed slavery; it no longer does, but you can still read about it in Deuteronomy.

An analogy would be to Roman law: the 12 Tables could not be altered, but they could be interpreted in new ways to suit new conditions. In that way, Roman law remained flexible for centuries.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
No, I'm advocating flexibility. If a doctrine comes to be seen as outworn and no longer meeting people's needs, it can be changed. Archaic Judaism allowed slavery; it no longer does, but you can still read about it in Deuteronomy.

An analogy would be to Roman law: the 12 Tables could not be altered, but they could be interpreted in new ways to suit new conditions. In that way, Roman law remained flexible for centuries.
What do you mean by "people's needs"? Clearly we're not talking physical needs like food, water and shelter here. What needs do religions satisfy, in your view?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06
1 edit

What do you mean by "people's needs"? Clearly we're not talking physical needs like food, water and shelter here. What needs do religions satisfy, in your view?
In my view, the purpose of a religion is to provide a framework for spiritual growth.

Get to your point, anyway.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06
1 edit

In my view, the purpose of a religion is to provide a framework for spiritual growth.

Get to your point, anyway.
While I broadly agree with "the purpose of a religion is to provide a framework for spiritual growth", I think it is still too vague (what does 'spiritual growth' mean?).

My point is simple -- if the purpose of religion is to help people grow spiritually (setting aside some ambiguity for the moment as to what that means) then it must have some tenets that are inflexible. We can call these 'core doctrines' or 'dogma' or whatever.

By analogy, one can consider raising a child (this one comes up quite a bit, doesn't it?🙂). Parents set certain rules that can be relaxed over time (e.g. "Be home by ten." ) but certain other rules that cannot be (e.g. "No stealing from your mother's purse" ) no matter how much the child grows.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Oct 06

He isn't talking about the Bible. He's talking about the Vedas and Upanishads.

Does that change your argument?
Sorry, didn't read the whole thread. If he was however claiming that the the Vedas and Upanishads contains genuine references to reality that are only now being discovered by physicists then yes my argument still stands. It is similar to prophesy.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06

My point is simple -- if the purpose of religion is to help people grow spiritually (setting aside some ambiguity for the moment as to what that means) then it must have some tenets that are inflexible. We can call these 'core doctrines' or 'dogma' or whatever.
Sure. The Golden Rule is probably an irreducible doctrine for most if not all religions. If some dogma comes to conflict with the spiritual well-being of the community, though, it can be changed.

An interesting discussion point in this regard might be the issue of gay Christians (or adherents of any other religion that proscribes active homosexuality).

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Sure. The Golden Rule is probably an irreducible doctrine for most if not all religions. If some dogma comes to conflict with the spiritual well-being of the community, though, it can be changed.

An interesting discussion point in this regard might be the issue of gay Christians (or adherents of any other religion that proscribes active homosexuality).
What does 'spiritual well-being' mean? It's not the same thing as just being happy. Religions not only act as frameworks to improve spiritual well-being, they also define what spiritual well-being means. Wouldn't you say that definition is a core doctrine?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06

What does 'spiritual well-being' mean? It's not the same thing as just being happy. Religions not only act as frameworks to improve spiritual well-being, they also define what spiritual well-being means. Wouldn't you say that definition is a core doctrine?
I don't know about that, really. Some spiritual states are beyond definition. "Harmony inside and out" would be my working definition. It corresponds to the Golden Rule, so I guess it is a core doctrine. Maybe you'd like to say more about this.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

I don't know about that, really. Some spiritual states are beyond definition. "Harmony inside and out" would be my working definition. It corresponds to the Golden Rule, so I guess it is a core doctrine. Maybe you'd like to say more about this.
Going back to our child-raising analogy, a child can be in "harmony inside and out" (or at least think it is) if it had chocolates and ice-cream for every meal. Why would you not expect parents to condone such a habit?

A core tenet of Buddhism is the renunciation of worldy (all?) desires. Yet a person can apparently be perfectly happy being greedy and working his socks off making millions on Wall Street. How would Buddhism assess the spiritual well-being of that person?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06
1 edit

Going back to our child-raising analogy, a child can be in "harmony inside and out" (or at least think it is) if it had chocolates and ice-cream for every meal. Why would you not expect parents to condone such a habit?
You must be joking if you think a child who's just had a big dose of sugar is harmonious.

With spirituality, I prefer not to be pushy. So the guy on Wall Street is happy--let him be. If he comes to sense some sort of spiritual lack at some point, no doubt he'll do something about it. Growth is a choice, not an imposition.

Re Buddhism: I don't think the concept of "detachment" exactly equates with "renunciation of all worldly desires". Buddha didn't join the saddhus. He advocated a middle way.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06
1 edit

With spirituality, I prefer not to be pushy. So the guy on Wall Street is happy--let him be. If he comes to sense some sort of spiritual lack at some point, no doubt he'll do something about it. Growth is a choice, not an imposition.

Re Buddhism: I don't think the concept of "detachment" exactly equates with "renunciation of all worldly desires". Buddha didn't join the saddhus. He advocated a middle way.[/b]
You must be joking if you think a child who's just had a big dose of sugar is harmonious.

I said the child can seem to be or think he/she is.

Growth is a choice, not an imposition.

Yes and no. As with physical and intellectual growth, sometimes a little "pruning" or boundary-setting is in order.

Re Buddhism: I don't think the concept of "detachment" exactly equates with "renunciation of all worldly desires". Buddha didn't join the saddhus. He advocated a middle way.

I said "renunciation of all worldly desires" -- not renouncing the world!

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06
1 edit

I said the child can seem to be or think he/she is.

Growth is a choice, not an imposition.

Yes and no. As with physical and intellectual growth, sometimes a little "pruning" or boundary-setting is in order.

Re Buddhism: I don't think ]

I said "renunciation of all worldly desires" -- not renouncing the world!
Our conversation seems to have drifted away from any point. Unless you'd care to make one, concisely.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Our conversation seems to have drifted away from any point. Unless you'd care to make one, concisely.
Okay, I'll summarise:

All religions try to help people grow spiritually according to certain criteria set by the religion itself. Those criteria will be, and need to be, constant.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06

Okay, I'll summarise:

All religions try to help people grow spiritually according to certain criteria set by the religion itself. Those criteria will be, and need to be, constant.
Fair enough. What are your church's criteria?

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Fair enough. What are your church's criteria?
Quite simply -- living in a state of grace. Positively (i.e. in terms of 'do's) it means cultivating and developing the virtues of faith, hope and charity. Negatively, it means avoiding mortal sin.