Is Christianiy the best religion?

Is Christianiy the best religion?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

l

London

Moves
30 Oct 06
1 edit

Originally posted by AvinashTyagi
Like I said, there are sections which refer to there being an infinite number of universes that are born and then over time die to be replaced by new universes, very similar to Brane cosmology and the cyclic theory.

You get passages talking of species of creatures changing over time in appearance, obviously evolution, and evidence of early man referr ...[text shortened]... ook at the Schroedengers cat paradox. Heck there is references to Atoms and Subatomic particles
Besides the fact that the Cyclic model of Steinhardt and Turok is a highly controversial one within the physicist community, you're still only claiming that these sections and passages exist -- you haven't shown them yet.

EDIT: Don't take my aggressive style personally (since you're not no1marauder). I'm just pointing out that your argument is incomplete in its present form.

A

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
Besides the fact that the Cyclic model of Steinhardt and Turok is a highly controversial one within the physicist community, you're still only claiming that these sections and passages exist -- you haven't shown them yet.

EDIT: Don't take my aggressive style personally (since you're not no1marauder). I'm just pointing out that your argument is incomplete in its present form.
It may be controversial, but heck so much in modern physics is still theoretical, we still haven't confirmed the existence of Superstrings/Branes

No I know I haven't shown the passages, i've read them in the past but I don't have them on me to show (if I can find them online I'll post them later), so I know my argument is incomplete, and don't worry I don't take it personally as long as you don't launch personal insults.

J

Sydney

Moves
30 Oct 06

Further, the examples you raised from Christianity are no more implausible than similar cases in "eastern philosophies", so I don't really see how your argument holds up.
Wow. It's almost like you're both wrong.

l

London

Moves
30 Oct 06

It may be controversial, but heck so much in modern physics is still theoretical, we still haven't confirmed the existence of Superstrings/Branes
It's worse than that. Several aspects of superstrings/branes cannot be empirically verified which means that, strictly speaking, these are not scientific theories.

l

London

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by JRambo
Wow. It's almost like you're both wrong.
Or the assumption that religious books are read as history textbooks is wrong.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
30 Oct 06
1 edit

And you're not being disingenuous in ignoring that these "early Gospels" were written at least half a century (if not more) after the canonical ones (a point that is relevant when we're talking historicity)? Or that the ones "[denying] Jesus'[sic] divinity" actually still maintain that Jesus was divine (i.e. as the Logos), just of a lower order ...[text shortened]... Father?

And which one specifically denies that Jesus existed in flesh and blood form?
As you well know, the dating of the Gospels are imprecise. And you have claimed that other writings like those of Josephus and Tacitus written a "Half century after the Gospels" as proof of Jesus' existence. Now hypocritically you are suggesting that writings written around the same time are now totally useless in determining the exact same question!

The "divinity" point is semantic nitpicking. They deny Jesus was God, period (everything is "divine" according to some early Christian writings).

I don't exactly remember, though I have read some. I'll try to locate them, though it's surely a waste of time unless you are denying their existence.

EDIT: Ignatius was writing against the "heresy" of Docetism by 100 AD wasn't he?

A

Moves
30 Oct 06

It's worse than that. Several aspects of superstrings/branes cannot be empirically verified which means that, strictly speaking, these are not scientific theories.
Well we might be able to verify the existence of Supersymmetric partners with the Hadron Collider

P

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by KellyJay
Well that takes this discussion away from man's beliefs and goes
strait to the question is God real or not, and if so which one. I would
argue that the God of the Bible could be real, but that would still not
mean that everyone who claims to be a Christian is getting it right
when they define Him.
Kelly
Well any God could be real, including the FSM. Either
1 There are no Gods and all religions are wrong
2 There are Gods but no human religion is anywhere near the truth
3 There are Gods and some religions are closer to the truth than others (they're all still wrong though because they all claim to be right!)
4 There are Gods and one of our religions is True.

Assuming that theists position is 3 or 4 (mine is 1 or possibly 2), they must have reasons for believing that their religion is the closest to the truth. If they thought otherwise they would change religions. So I'd just like to know your reasons for believing that your religion is the most true.

--- Penguin.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
As you well know, the dating of the Gospels are imprecise. And you have claimed that other writings like those of Josephus and Tacitus written a "Half century after the Gospels" as proof of Jesus' existence. Now hypocritically you are suggesting that writings written around the same time are now totally useless in determining the exact same question!

...[text shortened]...

EDIT: Ignatius was writing against the "heresy" of Docetism by 100 AD wasn't he?
As you well know, the dating of the Gospels are imprecise.

I was using the conservative estimates.

And you have claimed that other writings like those of Josephus and Tacitus written a "Half century after the Gospels" as proof of Jesus' existence.

Different kind of literature.

Now hypocritically you are suggesting that writings written around the same time are now totally useless in determining the exact same question!

Nothing hypocritical about it. Different genres of literature have different weightage when it comes to evaluating historicity.

The "divinity" point is semantic nitpicking.

Not at all. If you asked an Arian whether Jesus was "divine", he would say yes. If you asked him whether Jesus was God, he would say no.

Cape Town

Moves
31 Oct 06

No I know I haven't shown the passages, i've read them in the past but I don't have them on me to show (if I can find them online I'll post them later), so I know my argument is incomplete, and don't worry I don't take it personally as long as you don't launch personal insults.
The problem is that as new theories are developed and old ones are discarded the passages in the Bible will magically take on new meaning or be revealed as never meaning that at all.
Unless you can present passages with significantly specific and indisputable meaning in the oldest known version of the text then there is no reason to assume that any similarity to a scientific theory is anything other than coincidence.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
The problem is that as new theories are developed and old ones are discarded the passages in the Bible will magically take on new meaning or be revealed as never meaning that at all.
Unless you can present passages with significantly specific and indisputable meaning in the oldest known version of the text then there is no reason to assume that any similarity to a scientific theory is anything other than coincidence.
He isn't talking about the Bible. He's talking about the Vedas and Upanishads.

Does that change your argument?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by twhitehead
I don't see why religious doctrine, the interpretation and application of religious texts to daily practice, shouldn't be as flexible as scientific thought in order to serve the communities that use them to order their lives. Religion should serve humanity, not vice-versa, and the same goes for science.

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
I don't see why religious doctrine, the interpretation and application of religious texts to daily practice, shouldn't be as flexible as scientific thought in order to serve the communities that use them to order their lives. Religion should serve humanity, not vice-versa, and the same goes for science.
How can communities order their lives by religion if all tenets of that religion are up for a popular vote?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
31 Oct 06

How can communities order their lives by religion if all tenets of that religion are up for a popular vote?
Is that how religions adapt over time--by popular vote?

l

London

Moves
31 Oct 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Is that how religions adapt over time--by popular vote?
Isn't that what you're advocating?