Is Christianiy the best religion?

Is Christianiy the best religion?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by AvinashTyagi
I prefer eastern philosophy over western
Any particular reason?

A

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
Any particular reason?
Makes a lot more sense overall

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
30 Oct 06

Makes a lot more sense overall
Sure.

Why?

l

London

Moves
30 Oct 06

Young earth creationism, Earth center of the universe, Global Flood
None of which are core beliefs of Christianity.

l

London

Moves
30 Oct 06

Any particular reason?
Chauvinism

A

Moves
30 Oct 06
1 edit

Sure.

Why?
Lets see, you find things that support scientific theories, including the prescense of a multiverse, time as an illusion of observation, universe as being billions of years old, even evolution

A

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by lucifershammer
None of which are core beliefs of Christianity.
The garden of Eden myth, the Noah myth etc. are big parts of the bible

l

London

Moves
30 Oct 06

The garden of Eden myth, the Noah myth etc. are big parts of the bible
Sure. And various devas and asuras are big parts of the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Puranas, and the two epics -- the Ramayan and the Mahabharat.

Whats your point?

A

Moves
30 Oct 06
1 edit

Sure. And various devas and asuras are big parts of the Vedas, the Upanishads, the Puranas, and the two epics -- the Ramayan and the Mahabharat.

Whats your point?
Yeah but the "Devas and Asuras" aren't as scientifically impalusible as a global flood, or a dead guy coming back to life.

There's not enough water on earth to flood the planet for example

l

London

Moves
30 Oct 06

Yeah but the "Devas and Asuras" aren't as scientifically impalusible as a global flood, or a dead guy coming back to life.

There's not enough water on earth to flood the planet for example
Really? Somehow that doesn't stop the planet being flooded anyway in the Matsya Purana* (remember? That's where we encounter the first of Vishnu's Dashavatar).

Also, is a dead guy coming back to life more scientifically implausible than a dead guy coming back to life with an elephant's head**?

---
* http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deluge_(mythology)#India
** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha#Decapitated_and_reanimated_by_Shiva

A

Moves
30 Oct 06

Really? Somehow that doesn't stop the planet being flooded anyway in the Matsya Purana* (remember? That's where we encounter the first of Vishnu's Dashavatar).

Also, is a dead guy coming back to life more scientifically implausible than a dead guy coming back to life with an elephant's head**?

---
* http://en.wikipedia.org/ ...[text shortened]... ythology)#India
** http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ganesha#Decapitated_and_reanimated_by_Shiva
Well no more implausible than him being formed from earth in the first place😀 😉

I'm not saying there aren't fictional aspects in eastern philosophies as well, however there is also a scientific basis for much, you don't really have that in Christianity

l

London

Moves
30 Oct 06

I'm not saying there aren't fictional aspects in eastern philosophies as well, however there is also a scientific basis for much, you don't really have that in Christianity
You've only claimed "there is ... a scientific basis for much [in eastern philosophies]" -- you've yet to provide any evidence to back that claim.

Further, the examples you raised from Christianity are no more implausible than similar cases in "eastern philosophies", so I don't really see how your argument holds up.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by Penguin
Well what I meant was, there are hundreds of different religions out there (anything from around 50 to around 500 depending on how you subdivide them) and have been thousands in the history of humanity. All these religions claim to be The Truth. By definition, not more than one of these religions can be The Truth. The 'best' one is the one that really is The ...[text shortened]... true gods are the olympian ones and we're getting all the ceremonies wrong.

--- Penguin.
Well that takes this discussion away from man's beliefs and goes
strait to the question is God real or not, and if so which one. I would
argue that the God of the Bible could be real, but that would still not
mean that everyone who claims to be a Christian is getting it right
when they define Him.
Kelly

l

London

Moves
30 Oct 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
LH is rather disingenously ignoring that there were many early Gospels that denied Jesus' divinity and/or that he even existed in a flesh and blood form. These were, of course, deemed heretical. So all LH is establishing is that the Gospels that were accepted as part of the official doctrine mirror the official doctrine, a most unimpressive bit of evidence of the historicity of Jesus.
And you're not being disingenuous in ignoring that these "early Gospels" were written at least half a century (if not more) after the canonical ones (a point that is relevant when we're talking historicity)? Or that the ones "[denying] Jesus'[sic] divinity" actually still maintain that Jesus was divine (i.e. as the Logos), just of a lower order than the Father?

And which one specifically denies that Jesus existed in flesh and blood form?

A

Moves
30 Oct 06
2 edits

You've only claimed "there is ... a scientific basis for much [in eastern philosophies]" -- you've yet to provide any evidence to back that claim.

Further, the examples you raised from Christianity are no more implausible than similar cases in "eastern philosophies", so I don't really see how your argument holds up.
Like I said, there are sections which refer to there being an infinite number of universes that are born and then over time die to be replaced by new universes, very similar to Brane cosmology and the cyclic theory.

You get passages talking of species of creatures changing over time in appearance, obviously evolution, and evidence of early man referred to as (Ape-men), which is obviously a reference to now extinct species of homo.

A few Koans reference the observer effect in science, just look at the Schroedengers cat paradox. Heck there is references to Atoms and Subatomic particles