"Is Atheism a Belief or a Lack of Belief?"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
20 Jun 16

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Yes maybe you are an atheist, perhaps you are not, nothing is certain with you.
Nothing is certain for either of us.

That's the point.

rc

Moves
20 Jun 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

That's the point.
I am quite certain sir you are a sapling!

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
20 Jun 16

I have no problem with the Big Bang or most scientific theories for that matter. God spoke, and bang, it happened.
And your source for this theory?

Cape Town

Moves
20 Jun 16

Yes maybe you are an atheist, perhaps you are not, nothing is certain with you.
I find it interesting how you are having such difficulty understanding peoples positions even thought they restate them over and over. Is your deafness deliberate?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Jun 16

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine

Moves
21 Jun 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." - Thomas Paine
That about sums up what it's like to talk to you...

So having realised this, are you going to make any efforts to change?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
21 Jun 16

Originally posted by googlefudge
That about sums up what it's like to talk to you...

So having realised this, are you going to make any efforts to change?
As a Believer in Christ, I'd rather provide accurate information regarding the two options of accepting or rejecting God's Grace Gift of salvation and eternal life for all RHP Members who may be interested; as well as in discussing the ICE [Isagogics; Categories; and Exegesis from the Hebrew, Aramaic, Classical and Koine Greek Ministry of The Word of God's 66 Books beginning with Genesis 1: 1 and concluding with the Book of Revelation 22:21 "The grace of the Lord Jesus be with you all. Amen" [which means to agree] rather than "argue" over philosophical constructs and premise/antithesis/tentative conclusions and logistical minutia. My own pastor/teacher at Berachah Church in Houston, Texas since 1967 has been Robert B. Thieme, Jr. "Arrogance can be wounded, virtue can't." http://rbthieme.org/

F

Moves
21 Jun 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
As a Believer in Christ, I'd rather provide accurate information regarding the two options of accepting or rejecting God's Grace Gift of salvation and eternal life for all RHP Members who may be interested [...] rather than "argue" over philosophical constructs and premise/antithesis/tentative conclusions and logistical minutia.
With you being a calculatedly alienating, self-confessed and discourse-avoiding purveyor of memorized and regurgitated notions about supernatural things ~ which you are patently incapable of substantiating or explaining credibly, let alone persuasively ~ one wonders what you get - personally - aside from some sort of self-anointed, preening, pontification-driven ego-buffing boost - from deliberately abstaining from debate and discussion on what is, after all, a debate and discussion forum. 😛

That's my first point. My second one is to ask: why did you capitalize the first letter of the word 'believer'?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
21 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
With you being a calculatedly alienating, self-confessed and discourse-avoiding purveyor of memorized and regurgitated notions about supernatural things ~ which you are patently incapable of substantiating or explaining credibly, let alone persuasively ~ one wonders what you get - personally - aside from some sort of self-anointed, preening, pontification-driven ...[text shortened]... point. My second one is to ask: why did you capitalize the first letter of the word 'believer'?
You have so much venom in you. If you bit yourself, would you die? Or are you immune from it after all these years of such close exposure to it?

“Yes, a Jedi’s strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.” -- Yoda, Jedi Master

Hmmm... FMF, Dark Jedi. That makes so much sense, it's scary.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
21 Jun 16

Originally posted by FMF
With you being a calculatedly alienating, self-confessed and discourse-avoiding purveyor of memorized and regurgitated notions about supernatural things ~ which you are patently incapable of substantiating or explaining credibly, let alone persuasively ~ one wonders what you get - personally - aside from some sort of self-anointed, preening, pontification-driven eg ...[text shortened]... irst point. My second one is to ask: why did you capitalize the first letter of the word 'believer'?
"As a Believer in Christ" should have been lower case: "As a believer in Christ..."

F

Moves
21 Jun 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
You have so much venom in you. If you bit yourself, would you die? Or are you immune from it after all these years of such close exposure to it?

“Yes, a Jedi’s strength flows from the Force. But beware of the dark side. Anger, fear, aggression; the dark side of the Force are they. Easily they flow, quick to join you in a fight. If once you start down ...[text shortened]... it will.” -- Yoda, Jedi Master

Hmmm... FMF, Dark Jedi. That makes so much sense, it's scary.
Oh. You didn't like my self-deprecatingly breathless, all-in-one-sentence, tongue-in-cheek hyperbole? Oh what a pity. Because I quite liked your comparison-to-an-awfully-bad-baddie-in-a-popular-movie and animal-secreted-toxin referencing reply. 😛

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

That's the point.
You could argue that nothing is certain for you, but then that would also not be certain so it's a self defeating argument. Don't see why you are even arguing about something that isn't even certain. What's the point?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
21 Jun 16

You could argue that nothing is certain for you, but then that would also not be certain so it's a self defeating argument. Don't see why you are even arguing about something that isn't even certain. What's the point?
Ok, I'll answer for you since you seem unwilling to do so. The source for your theory of the beginning of the universe is some stories written by scientifically illiterate bronze age politicians. Doesn't basing your worldview on this seem a bit silly to you?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
21 Jun 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Ok, I'll answer for you since you seem unwilling to do so. The source for your theory of the beginning of the universe is some stories written by scientifically illiterate bronze age politicians. Doesn't basing your worldview on this seem a bit silly to you?
And your belief system is based on the belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything, and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs. Makes perfect sense.

Suppose there was no intelligence behind the universe, .... In that case, nobody designed my brain for the purpose of thinking. ... when the atoms inside my skull happen for physical or chemical reasons to arrange themselves in a certain way, this
gives me, as a by-product, the sensation I call 'thought'. But if so, how can I trust my own thinking to be true? It's like upsetting a glass of milk and hoping that the way the splash arranges itself will give you a map of London. But if I can't trust my own thinking, of course I can't trust the arguments leading to atheism; therefore I have no reason to be an atheist, or anything else. Unless I believe in God, I can't believe in thought, so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God. - C.S. Lewis

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
21 Jun 16

And your belief system is based on the belief that there was nothing and nothing happened to nothing and then nothing magically exploded for no reason, creating everything, and then a bunch of everything magically rearranged itself into self-replicating bits which then turned into dinosaurs. Makes perfect sense.

Suppose there was no intelligence behind ...[text shortened]... ve in God, I can't believe in thought, so I can never use thought to disbelieve in God. - C.S. Lewis
Ditto.