"Is Atheism a Belief or a Lack of Belief?"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Jun 16

Originally posted by googlefudge
Some choose to learn from their mistakes and take pains to do so.

Others choose to make the same mistakes over and over and over again...

Guess which camp you belong to.
Over the years, both. Only two ways to go: 1) Live and learn which is painful or 2) Learn and then live.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
14 Jun 16

Originally posted by googlefudge
That doesn't even make sense.

The problem of hard solipsism isn't something that you are 'for or against'...

Which leads me to ask YOU if you know what the problem of hard solipsism is?
Again, you deride my intelligence. This is ALWAYS your 'opening shot' to me. And then ypu engage in semantics. I wish for once you'd just answer a question I pose without insinuating that I don't even have the brains to even post in the same thread as you. This insinuating tactic is employed by those in this thread who are so busy looking to 'score points' they lose sight of their argument. I'd 'name names' but I myself do not wish to insult you by associating you with them.

So, one final time, do you accept the premise of this HS argument, or do you not? It's a rather simple question, requiring only a 'yes' or a 'no'.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Jun 16
1 edit

"Solipsism (Listeni/ˈsɒlᵻpsɪzəm/; from Latin solus, meaning "alone", and ipse, meaning "self" )[1] is the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist. As an epistemological position, solipsism holds that knowledge of anything outside one's own mind is unsure; the external world and other minds cannot be known and might not exist outside of the mind. As a metaphysical position, solipsism goes further to the conclusion that the world and other minds do not exist." Wikipedia

"the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist"
seems rather self limiting: the "mind" is a thing; what about places and persons?

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jun 16

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"the philosophical idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist"
seems rather self limiting: the "mind" is a thing; what about places and persons?
Do places and persons in a computer game really exist? In 50 years or so, you will not be able to tell whether or not you are in reality or a virtual reality game. If a child were brought up with a virtual reality headset on at all times, would it be able to tell?

Cape Town

Moves
14 Jun 16

Originally posted by Suzianne
Again, you deride my intelligence.
No, actually, he didn't. Why are you so sensitive? Why do you always assume that every one is out to get you? This is at least in part, a debate forum, expect tough dialog. He did question your knowledge of 'the problem of hard solipsism', but that is perfectly reasonable given your post. I myself did not know what the 'the problem of hard solipsism' was prior to looking it up, so it is hardly what one would call 'common knowledge'.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
14 Jun 16
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Do places and persons in a computer game really exist? In 50 years or so, you will not be able to tell whether or not you are in reality or a virtual reality game. If a child were brought up with a virtual reality headset on at all times, would it be able to tell?
Yes once the childs hands tried to touch its face it would feel a foreign object.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
14 Jun 16

Human life is not a "game".

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
15 Jun 16

No, actually, he didn't. Why are you so sensitive? Why do you always assume that every one is out to get you? This is at least in part, a debate forum, expect tough dialog. He did question your knowledge of 'the problem of hard solipsism', but that is perfectly reasonable given your post. I myself did not know what the 'the problem of hard solipsism' was prior to looking it up, so it is hardly what one would call 'common knowledge'.
https://www.phy.duke.edu/~rgb/Philosophy/axioms/axioms/node43.html

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
15 Jun 16

Maybe it is, how would you know?

Cape Town

Moves
15 Jun 16

And you know this how?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jun 16

And you know this how?
Have the members of the pyramidal food chain, which is comprised of all manner of creatures in the air and on the land and sea, received a human soul imputed by God the Holy Spirit ant the moment of birth?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
15 Jun 16

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Maybe it is, how would you know?
"Our minds are finite, and yet even in these circumstances of finitude we are surrounded by possibilities that are infinite, and the purpose of life is to grasp as much as we can out of that infinitude." ~Alfred North Whitehead

F

Moves
15 Jun 16

Have the members of the pyramidal food chain, which is comprised of all manner of creatures in the air and on the land and sea, received a human soul imputed by God the Holy Spirit ant the moment of birth?
Hang on. You haven't yet established that humans receive a so called "soul" that is "imputed by God the Holy Spirit at the moment of birth". You're getting ahead of yourself.

Cape Town

Moves
15 Jun 16

I see the question was totally lost on you. My guess is that you have never played a computer game.

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
15 Jun 16

And you know this how?
If you are going to make the claim that life is a game, the burden of proof is on you.