1. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 17:592 edits
    @kellyjay said
    Jesus told us how to receive the Spirit of God, for those that belong to Him, ask.

Luke 11:13
    If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him!”

It isn't difficult, nor is the Spirit someone God wants us to be kept from.
    In the following Jesus provided more detail on what's required to receive the Spirit of Truth: One must KEEP His commandments.

John 14
    15“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16“I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him or know Him, but you know Him because He abides with you and will be in you.

21“He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

23Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24“He who does not love Me does not keep My words...

This is consistent with the concept that one must be righteous to receive the Spirit of Truth: Those who truly KEEP His commandments ARE righteous.

This has been pointed out countless times, yet you disingenuously continue to ignore what Jesus explicitly stated. How many different ways does Jesus need to say it for you to believe Him?
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 18:07
    @thinkofone said
    In the following Jesus provided more detail on what's required to receive the Spirit of Truth: One must KEEP His commandments.

John 14
    15“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16“I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him ...[text shortened]... pointed out countless times, yet you disingenuously continue to ignore what Jesus explicitly stated.
    Who denies we must keep His Commandments? As I said Jesus was talking about those who belong to God, those who can call God, Father.
  3. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 18:08
    @thinkofone said

John 14
    15“If you love Me, you will keep My commandments. 16“I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may be with you forever; 17that is the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it does not see Him ...[text shortened]... pointed out countless times, yet you disingenuously continue to ignore what Jesus explicitly stated.
    You have it backwards Jesus makes us righteous we cannot improve upon His work.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 18:15
    @kellyjay said
    Who denies we must keep His Commandments? As I said Jesus was talking about those who belong to God, those who can call God, Father.
    Who denies we must keep His Commandments?

You keep ignoring the fact that Jesus explicitly states that keeping His commandments is required to receive the Spirit of Truth in the passages cited from John 14.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 18:271 edit
    @kellyjay said
    How did you manage to get that out of what Jesus said in the passages cited from John 14?
  6. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 19:48
    @kellyjay said
    You are denying the correct order of these events as stated by Jesus Christ.

First keep the commandments. Why? because this demonstrates that your profession of faith and professed love for Christ is true

THEN Jesus will ask God to send the Comforter/Holy Spirit.

In addition IF you keep the commandments it is THEN you will be loved by God and loved by Christ.
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 19:501 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I see... profess your faith and you are made righteous.
    That is the core of the mouth worshipers doctrine.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 20:47
    @thinkofone said

You keep ignoring the fact that Jesus explicitly states that keeping His commandments is required to receive the Spirit of Truth in the passages cited from John 14.
    I don’t ignore that, you just leave out the entire rest of the Bible.
  9. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 21:07
    @kellyjay said
    Substitute "improve" with "emulate" and you're good.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 21:311 edit
    @kellyjay said
    I don’t ignore that, you just leave out the entire rest of the Bible.
    Then what do YOU call what YOU do with the fact that in the passages cited earlier from John 14, Jesus explicitly states that keeping His commandments is required to receive the Spirit of Truth?
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 22:301 edit
    @thinkofone said
    Then what do YOU call what YOU do with the fact that in the passages cited earlier from John 14, Jesus explicitly states that keeping His commandments is required to receive the Spirit of Truth?
    How do you deflect the passage, "23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God," hmmm?
  12. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 23:02
    @rajk999 said
    Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled. (Matthew 5:6 KJV)

That is step 1. You have to hunger and thirst after righteousness. YOU. Not Jesus. Not God. YOU. This means that you want to do good works and live righteously. This is done by following the commandments of Christ.

Step 2. If you hunger and thirst for righ ...[text shortened]... ng water with a long drawn out analysis and explanation, but its all irrelevant unbiblical nonsense.
    If one isn't born again, then his or her good works are of no value.

As Jesus said, "you must be born again". That is the first step.

Being born again is an act that God, and only God, can do on behalf of the one that hungers and thirsts after righteous because he know he's a sinner.

The sinner believes that Jesus died for his sins. And the sinner knows that he needs forgiveness, that there is nothing he can do to have righteousness in his own strength, that Jesus died for his sins so that the righteousness of Christ can be "imputed" to him.

But the heretic teaches that one can earn salvation and the righteousness of Christ by doing good works. He is confused. He thinks the gift of eternal life is a reward.

Romans 3:24
    Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:

Revelation 21:6b,c
    I am Alpha and Omega, I will give unto him that is athirst of the fountain of the water of life freely.

Freely- dōrean - undeservedly. You can't earn grace.

He paid a debt He didn't owe, I owed a debt I couldn't pay.
  13. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 23:31
    @thinkofone said

John 14:16,17
    And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

What you said above is not said by the scriptures. No where in chapter 14 does Jesus say "keeping His commandments is required to receive the Spirit of Truth".

It's not even inferred.

One will never receive the Spirit of Truth unless they are born again. In the passage above Jesus is talking about a future event, Pentecost, when the "Comforter" is sent.

Notice in the verses I quoted that Jesus said that the Spirit "dwelleth" with his disciples, and "shall be in you".

That "shall be in you" began at Pentecost. There were 120 believers present when the Spirit indwelt them. By the end of the day there were 3000 more Spirit indwelt believers.

They were born again when they were indwelt by the Spirit after they believed. Not after they kept any commandments.
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 23:321 edit
    @secondson said
    If one isn't born again, then his or her good works are of no value.

As Jesus said, "you must be born again". That is the first step.

Being born again is an act that God, and only God, can do on behalf of the one that hungers and thirsts after righteous because he know he's a sinner.

The sinner believes that Jesus died for his sins. And the sinner knows tha ...[text shortened]... undeservedly. You can't earn grace.

He paid a debt He didn't owe, I owed a debt I couldn't pay.
    Absolute nonsense and totally contrary to the teachings of Christ. So here is a a question that you will try to ignore. Jesus in all His teachings to the many thousands, please show where Jesus preached being born again? Never did. If he did please quote it. Are you therefore saying that Jesus is wrong to not preach about being born again? If thatis the case then we have no common ground on which to discuss anything.

The born again statement was made privately to Nicodemus by night. The man came to Jesus secretly and Jesus told HIM ALONE. Jesus never preached that stuff to anyone. Here is the passage

There was a man of the Pharisees, named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews: The same came to Jesus by night, and said unto him, Rabbi, we know that thou art a teacher come from God: for no man can do these miracles that thou doest, except God be with him. Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit. (John 3:1-8 KJV)

So this was a secret meeting with Nicodemus and not any public preaching by Jesus. The next thing is you have failed to understand what being born of the Spirit is all about. There is nobody in any church who is born of the Spirit. NOBODY. You jokers are deluding yourselves. Born of the Spirit happens only at the regeneration when Jesus returns and the righteous are transformed in the spirit beings who can move like the wind.

Your doctrine is complete nonsense. As for all that stuff about grace, that is another topic where you have failed.
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Jun '19 23:412 edits
    @secondson said
    John 14:16,17
    And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
    Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

What you said above is not said by the scriptures. No where in chapter 14 does Jesu ...[text shortened]... en they were indwelt by the Spirit after they believed. Not after they kept any commandments.
    More deceitful nonsense from professed Christians.

You quote John 14: 16 and 17. and left out verse 15. Your statement from Jesus starts with the word AND? No sentence starts with AND.

So here is the whole passage which was quoted by ToO

If ye love me, keep my commandments. And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever; (John 14:15-16 KJV)

IF YOU LOVE CHRIST
    THEN [implied here but stated elsewhere] KEEP THE COMMANDMENTS
    THEN JESUS WILL ASK GOD TO SEND THE HOLY SPIRIT.

Another passage
    And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him. (1 John 2:3-4 KJV)

Thats the whole story. Stop with the lies.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree