How many here want freedom FROM religion?

How many here want freedom FROM religion?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
11 Aug 12

Originally posted by RJHinds
Just as I suspected, there was no contradiction. 😏
Only in your pathetically and profoundly propagandized brain.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
11 Aug 12
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Only in your pathetically and profoundly propagandized brain.
I hae noticed that many things that seem to be contradictions are simply the authors emphasizing different aspects of a subject or presenting the ideas from opposite points of view. There may also be a few copiest errors that do not change theology, but can still be reconciled from other statements from the Holy Bible. I am not indoctrinated by a religious cult like the JWs. So, that charge is false.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Aug 12

I hae noticed that many things that seem to be contradictions are simply the authors emphasizing different aspects of a subject or presenting the ideas from opposite points of view. There may also be a few copiest errors that do not change theology, but can still be reconciled from other statements from the Holy Bible. I am not indoctrinated by a religious cult like the JWs. So, that charge is false.
Are you kidding? Christianity is just as much a cult as ANY other religion. There is zero difference. You are all propagandized by the BS they have been handing down in the biggest ponzi scheme in 4000 years.

And I have just as much disdain for almost all other religion like Islam, the religion of war, not peace, where it is embedded into men that women are inferior.

The only religion I have found that professes equality is Sikh. Don't know if it is really true or not.

The other religion that professes equality is Bahai. The problem there is my daughter and her husband were Bahai until they figured out they were really hypocritical when it came to women and after they learned that, they quit.

Christianity (Should be called Paulism) is also a religion of female supression and only in the 21st century are they beginning to make appearances in the clergy as practicing priests. The suppression of women in America has been going on since the Mayflower days and if you don't believe that you should read your early American history.

Women couldn't even vote till last century. That only took 200 years and we are a young republic.

It is a male dominated society and always has been.

Largely brought about by your so-called religion. It starts there and is only ending due to the smaller and smaller congregations in the US over time, even in the bible belt.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Aug 12

Christianity (Should be called Paulism) is also a religion of female supression and only in the 21st century are they beginning to make appearances in the clergy as practicing priests. The suppression of women in America has been going on since the Mayflower days and if you don't believe that you should read your early American history.
If you think the suppression of women is an invention of Christianity in America, then step outside, please, and take a look at the rest of the world.

By the way, my priest happens to be a woman. Neither she nor I have a huge problem with the Bible. Probably because we "get" the larger truths the Bible contains and we don't get tangled up/confused by the small stuff.

Also, by the way, stop calling Christianity Paulism. I know that Paul seemingly tried to make it all about him, but no, it's not. Christ is the center of our religion, not Paul.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
12 Aug 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
If you think the suppression of women is an invention of Christianity in America, then step outside, please, and take a look at the rest of the world.

By the way, my priest happens to be a woman. Neither she nor I have a huge problem with the Bible. Probably because we "get" the larger truths the Bible contains and we don't get tangled up/confused by t ...[text shortened]... to make it all about him, but no, it's not. Christ is the center of our religion, not Paul.
Neither she nor I have a huge problem with the Bible.

So does than mean you have a 'small' problem with the Bible?

Probably because we "get" the larger truths the Bible contains and we don't get tangled up/confused by the small stuff.

Is that another way of saying you ignore some parts?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Aug 12
3 edits

By the way, my priest happens to be a woman. Neither she nor I have a huge problem with the Bible. Probably because we "get" the larger truths the Bible contains and we don't get tangled up/confused by t ...[text shortened]... to make it all about him, but no, it's not. Christ is the center of our religion, not Paul.
So in other words, the fact that some women are now priests totally negates all the centuries of suppression? A woman is a priest at the methodist church we used to go to but I ask you this: How many men are in charge of your church's money? How many women get to pick and choose where that money is spent?

What percentage of women are there in your church that can have an active role in routing money from your church? My guess is less than 10 or 20 percent and the rest are men.

My daughter and her Indian husband were both Bahai, which is how they met. Both devout and so forth. Then one day they noticed there were no women in the upper ranks. Both being genius level, they put two and two together and realized the gender bias inherent in the Bahai faith. They both left as a result.

Gender bias is not something that would come from a real god. Gender bias goes to the heart of the religion.

Look at Islam, they openly suppress women, just like early christians did.

Do you think 1900 years of suppression is wiped out by the progress made by women in the last 100 years? That had nothing to do with a god, it had EVERYTHING to do with women fighting for their rights, which I heartily applaud.
Look at what christians did to cultures around the world. Look at what happened in Mexico and South America 400 or 500 years ago. Do you think a real god would have condoned such brutal murders and forced conversions to your faith?

The fact that suppression of women was there in christianity for nearly 2000 years, is still there in the Catholic church, with the control they place on women's reproductive rights and the total lack of women priests and in Islam the total disdain men have for women, who are considered property, all of this screams man made religions.

A god would NEVER set up a religion in which one gender is inferior to the other.
The fact you overlook that nagging detail shows how profoundly brainwashed you personally are just like the rest of the billions of people mired in religion.

And that is aside from all the contradictions in your bible and I imagine, in the Quran also.

If the bible was inspired by god, god's word and so forth, your god would have been observant enough to have inspired all those writers to get their act together and have a common story, not one riddled with contradictions.

Again, screaming man made religion.

Show me your god, have it talk to me, maybe I would believe then.

Till then, humans telling me how to conduct my spirituality is not going to happen.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
12 Aug 12

it is based largely on the writings of paul. ergo, it's more accurate to call it paulism.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Aug 12
1 edit

So in other words, the fact that some women are now priests totally negates all the centuries of suppression? A woman is a priest at the methodist church we used to go to but I ask you this: How many men are in charge of your church's money? How many women get to pick and choose where that money is spent?

What percentage of women are there in your churc then.

Till then, humans telling me how to conduct my spirituality is not going to happen.
There are no priests in the Methodist church. The clergy are called ministers. Christianity is not responsible for mistreatment of women. During the time my wife was the Church secretary or administrative assistant, as it was called, the women had control of all the money donated to the church and any money paid out.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Aug 12
1 edit

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
it is based largely on the writings of paul. ergo, it's more accurate to call it paulism.
The apostle Paul was a Christian and his teachings are just as much Christian as are the others. We just happen to have more lettters from Paul preserved than from Peter, James, John or any of the other followers of Christ. Many of the teachings from Christ are also recorded by Matthew, Mark, and Luke and they do not contradict anything the apostle Paul has written. All those teaching are based on the teachings of Christ and are all Christian teachings.

V

Windsor, Ontario

Moves
12 Aug 12

The apostle Paul was a Christian and his teachings are just as much Christian as are the others. We just happen to have more lettters from Paul preserved than from Peter, James, John or any of the other followers of Christ. Many of the teachings from Christ are also recorded by Matthew, Mark, and Luke and they do not contradict anything the apostle Paul ha ...[text shortened]... itten. All those teaching are based on the teachings of Christ and are all Christian teachings.
christianity is based largely on the writings of paul. ergo, it's more accurate to call it paulism.

s

Moves
12 Aug 12

Originally posted by josephw
That's exactly what I'm saying. Religion is a scourge.
That's funny. I've heard a lot of this lately. Religious people saying 'I dont like religion, but I do like my faith'.

Perhaps they subconciously smell the coffee? It does take time to waken to childhood conditioning after all. . .

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
12 Aug 12

There are no priests in the Methodist church. The clergy are called ministers. Christianity is not responsible for mistreatment of women. During the time my wife was the Church secretary or administrative assistant, as it was called, the women had control of all the money donated to the church and any money paid out.
Ok, they are ministers. Semantics. And good on you the women control the money.

The persecution and suppression of women was rationalized by the bible. And the Quran. Women were property, long and short of it. Till the 20th century in christanity and still, it Islam.

The fact they were suppressed for 1900 years in christianity and 1500 odd years in Islam says pretty clearly both religions were made up by men, no god required.

The sooner those billions of people figure that one out, the sooner we can actually start to mature as a race. Till then, we are mired in intellectual childhood.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Aug 12

Originally posted by VoidSpirit
christianity is based largely on the writings of paul. ergo, it's more accurate to call it paulism.
The writings of all the New Testatment writers are about Christ, therefore, it is more accurate and inclusive to call it Christianity, rather than just Paulism. Apparently, there are more people who agree with me than with you, because it is called Christianity.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Aug 12

Ok, they are ministers. Semantics. And good on you the women control the money.

The persecution and suppression of women was rationalized by the bible. And the Quran. Women were property, long and short of it. Till the 20th century in christanity and still, it Islam.

The fact they were suppressed for 1900 years in christianity and 1500 odd years in Is ...[text shortened]... er we can actually start to mature as a race. Till then, we are mired in intellectual childhood.
I think it is Christianity that is responsible for the liberation of women from the persecution and suppression by men. I am not talking about all religions or governments. Do you believe women would not have been persecuted or suppressed under atheism? If so, do you have any proof?

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
13 Aug 12
2 edits

I think it is Christianity that is responsible for the liberation of women from the persecution and suppression by men. I am not talking about all religions or governments. Do you believe women would not have been persecuted or suppressed under atheism? If so, do you have any proof?
The fact that some women are free from active suppression now does not give religion a bye for thousands of years of suppression. Your own god condoned the owning of women and slavery.

The rational was 'it's in the bible', god ordained it such. Besides, Eve was the original sinner so she deserves punishment.

That alone screams man made. No god would countenance such cruelty.

A real god would lay it on the line, none of this free will crap, you better treat your women as equals or else. A real god would make that clear.

A real god would NEVER say a man is worth 50 shekels but a woman 35. That is about as man made a statement as could be made. Being in the bible, it was supposedly inspired by your so-called god.

The fact that there were thousands of years of suppression of women is clear evidence for the man made nature of your religion and Islam in the bargain.