"Having the indwelt Holy Spirit"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

When believers claim to "have the indwelt Holy Spirit", what should non-believers be able to witness in the words and deeds of such people ~ here in this online environment ~ that might confirm or illustrate that their claims are true?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @fmf
When believers claim to "have the indwelt Holy Spirit", what should non-believers be able to witness in the words and deeds of such people ~ here in this online environment ~ that might confirm or illustrate that their claims are true?
Great question!

When one receives God’s Holy Spirit after accepting Christ, he or she has gained salvation and everlasting life.

The Holy Spirit’s work in a believer is to make that believer more Christ like, and it is a gradual process because the believer is still living in the flesh, not to mention in a sinful world, and retains free will that God gave man.

“For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

But if ye be led of the Spirit, ye are not under the law.“

(Galatians 5:17-18)

But one who has God’s Holy Spirit will begin to exhibit the “fruits of the Spirit.”

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith,

Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.

If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.“

(Galatians 5:22-25)

That said, I would suggest your criteria for “judging” may be a bit off as people in online communities, particularly on forums concerning politics and religion, are often subject to attacks and false accusations and may respond “in the flesh,” particularly if they are not reading God’s Word and praying on a regular basis. Just as the body needs food, the Spirit needs to be fed with the Holy Bible and fellowship with Christ.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
14 Feb 18

A clear demo of how life works

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

Originally posted by @romans1009
That said, I would suggest your criteria for “judging” may be a bit off as people in online communities, particularly on forums concerning politics and religion, are often subject to attacks and false accusations and may respond “in the flesh,” particularly if they are not reading God’s Word and praying on a regular basis. Just as the body needs food, the Spirit needs to be fed with the Holy Bible and fellowship with Christ.
The lengthy copy paste of Galatians 5:22-25 doesn't answer the question, and the text I have quoted above makes as if to - but then doesn't really produce the goods.

The OP question is intended to be very practical and what happens here could act as supporting evidence of whatever you suggest. So, perhaps you could have another stab at the question?

What should non-believers be able to see in the ways that people claiming to "have the indwelt Holy Spirit" conduct themselves on this forum that substantiates their claims? What might we see in you, for example, that might be an indicator to non-Christians that you "have the indwelt Holy Spirit" - as you have claimed you have?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 18

The lengthy copy paste of Galatians 5:22-25 doesn't answer the question, and the text I have quoted above makes as if to - but then doesn't really produce the goods.

The OP question is intended to be very practical and what happens here could act as supporting evidence of whatever you suggest. So, perhaps you could have another stab at the question?

Wha ...[text shortened]... icator to non-Christians that you "have the indwelt Holy Spirit" - as you have claimed you have?
You really don’t think Galatians 5:22-25 addresses your question? Verses 22 and 23 directly answer it.

Why is it that people think Christians have to rescue people from fires once a day, scale tall buildings with a single bound and come up with the “theory of everything” that eluded Einstein to prove they are saved?

Yes, Jesus Christ performed miracles but He did so to prove to Jews that He was their Messiah. Other than rebuking the Pharisees and overturning the tables of money changers in the Temple, He embodied and continues to embody the fruits of the Spirit.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

You really don’t think Galatians 5:22-25 addresses your question? Verses 22 and 23 directly answer it.
Galatians 5:22-25 was written by people who had no experience of internet message boards, let alone this one, which is what the OP is about.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

Why is it that people think Christians have to rescue people from fires once a day, scale tall buildings with a single bound and come up with the “theory of everything” that eluded Einstein to prove they are saved?
Take this up with people who think these things. Ask them why they think these things about Christians.

T

Moves
14 Feb 18
1 edit

The lack of evidence of "the indwelt Holy Spirit" in many Christians isn't surprising given the gospel preached by Jesus during His ministry.

John 14
15“If you love me, keep my commands. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another advocate to help you and be with you forever— the Spirit of truth...
21Whoever has my commands and keeps them is the one who loves me. The one who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love them and show myself to them.”

Being given "the Spirit of Truth" is clearly conditional. One must first KEEP His commands.

For those who hold the self-defeating belief that it is impossible for anyone to stop committing sin, this must serve as a major stumbling block. As does the self-defeating belief that it isn't required to live in the kingdom - to have eternal life. This helps explain the lack of evidence of "the indwelt Holy Spirit" in many Christians.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18
1 edit

Yes, Jesus Christ performed miracles but He did so to prove to Jews that He was their Messiah. Other than rebuking the Pharisees and overturning the tables of money changers in the Temple, He embodied and continues to embody the fruits of the Spirit.
The OP specifically asks for evidence of "having the indwelt Holy Spirit" that can be seen in the words and deeds of those who claim to have it here in this community.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 18

Galatians 5:22-25 was written by people who had no experience of internet message boards, let alone this one, which is what the OP is about.
You don’t think it’s possible for someone to exhibit the qualities identified in Galatians 5:22-23 on an Internet message board?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
14 Feb 18

Take this up with people who think these things. Ask them why they think these things about Christians.
What I wrote in the post you quoted was obviously an exaggeration, but people who think Christians are justified (made righteous) by good works often have that mindset, the mindset of viewing good works on a scale, and the bigger the better!

F

Moves
14 Feb 18
1 edit

You don’t think it’s possible for someone to exhibit the qualities identified in Galatians 5:22-23 on an Internet message board?
The OP is asking you for evidence that they do, and on this message board in particular.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18

What I wrote in the post you quoted was obviously an exaggeration, but people who think Christians are justified (made righteous) by good works often have that mindset, the mindset of viewing good works on a scale, and the bigger the better!
I would like, once again, to draw your attention to the OP.

Moves
14 Feb 18

I would like, once again, to draw your attention to the OP.
Do you believe love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance can be displayed on an internet forum? Your answer to this question will answer your OP.

F

Moves
14 Feb 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Do you believe love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness and temperance can be displayed on an internet forum? Your answer to this question will answer your OP.
Is there any evidence of Christians "having the indwelt Holy Spirit" on this forum, or is there simply no evidence of it?