1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 13:58
    @eladar said
    The question is if all people know God's truth and all know right from wrong, then why do we disagree on the genocide question in the original post?
    God's truth is (apparently) written on your heart. It tells you that murder is wrong, just as it tells the gentile murder is wrong.

For some bizarre reason, that only you can answer, you abandon this truth and accept human morality as it was penned by man many centuries ago. You render your own God a monster and call him good.

All genocides are justified in such a manner, that the people on the receiving end are in some way lesser humans. This is NOT Christianity.

'This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.'
  2. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 14:16
    @avalanchethecat said
    Curious that you would choose this subject to make your stand on. I wonder if it was an unreasoning hatred for homosexuality that started you on this path that led you to this point where you seem happy to believe that Jesus would have supported the murder of innocents.
    It is called reading the Bible.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 14:18
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    God's truth is (apparently) written on your heart. It tells you that murder is wrong, just as it tells the gentile murder is wrong.

For some bizarre reason, that only you can answer, you abandon this truth and accept human morality as it was penned by man many centuries ago. You render your own God a monster and call him good.

All genocides are justified in such ...[text shortened]... st and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.'
    So it is your position that people can lose that truth and that it is you who has the true belief.

It makes your original claim irrelevant since obviously everyone does not believe God's truth.
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 14:20
    @eladar said
    It is called reading the Bible.
    Do you not find it peculiar that so very many people who read the bible have drawn such starkly constrasting conclusions to those which you seem to have arrived at?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 14:58
    @avalanchethecat said
    Do you not find it peculiar that so very many people who read the bible have drawn such starkly constrasting conclusions to those which you seem to have arrived at?
    Not at all. Jesus claims that a majority of people are on the road to hell. I was be concerned if my beliefs aligned with the majority.
  6. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 16:21
    @eladar said
    Not at all. Jesus claims that a majority of people are on the road to hell. I was be concerned if my beliefs aligned with the majority.
    You're not troubled at how your interpretation is so clearly at odds with pretty much all of the teachings of Jesus, according to the Gospels?
  7. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 17:141 edit
    @eladar said
    Do we all have the same opinion about what is good as opposed to what is evil?

Case in point, I believe the genocide by the Isrselites as they entered the promised land is good. Does everyone agree with me?
    Completely.

I am totally against the practice of rape and murder of children as was practiced by the Canaanites. This was in the form of Bale worship which included the "rites of Molech", incorporating the sacrifice of babies by rolling them down a chute into a fiery deposit where they burned to death.

They also had another classic known as "the cult of the open hole", which would make the sheep in Wales feel relatively safe.
  8. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 17:201 edit
    @eladar said
    Where did Paul write it applies to all people? Obviously it was written about some gentiles, but not all.
    By the time that Paul came on the scene the prospect of everlasting life had been opened up to the gentiles. Therefore Paul's words were applicable to everyone. It isn't necessary to have the law written down to have a concept of right and wrong.
  9. Subscribermedullah
    Lover of History
    Northants, England
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 17:302 edits
    @avalanchethecat said
    You think Jesus would agree with you? You think Jesus, after whom Christianity is named, would advocate the genocide of the Palestinian Arabs?
    The Canaanites were of the line of Ham. The Arabs are Semites (as were the original Jews) from the line of Shem.

I say the original Jews as the European Jews were naturalised and descended from Ashkenaz who was of the line of Japheth.

I don't believe that Jesus would advocate the Genocide of the Arab peoples for one minute.
  10. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 18:31
    @medullah said
    The Canaanites were of the line of Ham. The Arabs are Semites (as were the original Jews) from the line of Shem.

I say the original Jews as the European Jews were naturalised and descended from Ashkenaz who was of the line of Japheth.

I don't believe that Jesus would advocate the Genocide of the Arab peoples for one minute.
    Well, I'd be the first to admit I'm no scholar of the bible, but from my reading I find it hard to credit that Jesus would condone any genocide, regardless of race.
  11. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 19:27
    @avalanchethecat said
    Well, I'd be the first to admit I'm no scholar of the bible, but from my reading I find it hard to credit that Jesus would condone any genocide, regardless of race.
    Have you actually read the Bible?
  12. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 19:59
    @eladar said
    Have you actually read the Bible?
    Of course, have you?
  13. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 20:17
    @avalanchethecat said
    Of course, have you?
    Then who told the Israelites to commit genocide upon entering the promised land?
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 20:20
    @eladar said
    So it is your position that people can lose that truth and that it is you who has the true belief.

It makes your original claim irrelevant since obviously everyone does not believe God's truth.
    Any well-adjusted person with a basic semblance of right or wrong would never describe any episode of genocide as 'good' even if it was given the thumbs up by a religious book.

This is why religious people of your ilk worry me. You would commit terrible acts if you believed your God required or validated it, happily override your own human morality. You're not even in charge of your own moral compass.
  15. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '21 20:22
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Any well-adjusted person with a basic semblance of right or wrong would never describe any episode of genocide as 'good' even if it was given the thumbs up by a religious book.

This is why religious people of your ilk worry me. You would commit terrible acts if you believed your God required or validated it, happily override your own human morality. You're not even in charge of your own moral compass.
    The question was about knowing truth. The claim that everyone knows truth is false. Hopefully you can admit that now.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree