God Bless America?

God Bless America?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
12 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Oh I'm not defining anything chum.

Just remembering some school learning from way back - wasnt Alfred known
as the originator of the Royal Navy? - and apart from being a crap pastry chef
he kept those Vikings in check!

They had great epithets back then.
Like Edward Longshanks
Can you imagine Charles III being called Charles Big Ears?
😀
He is in most of the tabloids...

However it's a system that does have possibilities...

Being named for what your most famous for... That's incentive.

Of course that did tend to lead to people being famous for being the father to, or son of, someone more famous.
Hence all the "something"son's around...

F

Moves
12 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Suzianne
How on earth would it be "Bible-based"?

Have you ever read the words "United States of America" in the Bible?
My point exactly. You seem to be using, instead, a "stretch of the imagination" that involves a "motto", "every U.S. coin", what "most Americans think" and your freestanding, unsubstantiated claim that "God gave America full right to all land clear to the Pacific Ocean". If your view is not Bible-based, on what basis are you asserting that it's valid as a Christian perspective, as opposed to being merely a patriotic, nationalistic or even a just plain jingoistic perspective?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
12 Feb 13

So I'll ask this again: "If God did or does bless America, why would he choose this country over another? What would be the qualifications he would look for to bestow his blessings?"

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Feb 13

Originally posted by galveston75
So I'll ask this again: "If God did or does bless America, why would he choose this country over another? What would be the qualifications he would look for to bestow his blessings?"
Because of the promise God made to Abraham that was past on to the tribes of Israel.

http://www.tomorrowsworld.org/node/290

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Feb 13

Originally posted by googlefudge
How are you defining "English origins"?

My home town, for example, pre-dates the Romans...

Also one of my favourites from back then was Æthelred the Unready...
You do know that it was "Unræd" rather than "Unready", dontcha? He wasn't really turning up late with his pyjama bottoms still on and shaving foam all over his face.

My favourite early 'English' king (not really English, alas, but close) was Penda of Mercia. Unfortunately history hasn't gifted him an epithet which has firmly stuck, but these days he's often known as Penda the Psycho...

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
12 Feb 13

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
You do know that it was "Unræd" rather than "Unready", dontcha? He wasn't really turning up late with his pyjama bottoms still on and shaving foam all over his face.

My favourite early 'English' king (not really English, alas, but close) was Penda of Mercia. Unfortunately history hasn't gifted him an epithet which has firmly stuck, but these days he's often known as Penda the Psycho...
As the ash is not part of the English alphabet GF used the usual English spelling.
(Although "Unraed" or even "Unread" I suppose are an alternatives)

Aethelred the Ill-Advised doesnt have the same ring to it! 😉

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
12 Feb 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
As the ash is not part of the English alphabet GF used the usual English spelling.
(Although "Unraed" or even "Unread" I suppose are an alternatives)

Aethelred the Ill-Advised doesnt have the same ring to it! 😉
You're not wrong. I still always picture him (as I did as a kid) coming running out of his castle with his armour only half-on hurriedly finishing a slice of toast and mug of tea!

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
12 Feb 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
Because of the promise God made to Abraham that was past on to the tribes of Israel.

http://www.tomorrowsworld.org/node/290
What promise would that be? And are you purposing that the USA is somehow the seed of Abraham? If you are I wonder where you could possibly get that from?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
12 Feb 13
1 edit

What promise would that be? And are you purposing that the USA is somehow the seed of Abraham? If you are I wonder where you could possibly get that from?
No, that is not what I am saying. I was not referring to the seed of Abraham. Did you read the reference -- there are two physical fulfillments of the promise through the two sons of Joseph by the blessing given to them by Jacob (Israel).

You are referring to the spiritual fulfilling of the blessing by Abraham. Here is an answer to that question:

"Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ." Galatians 3:16

"For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." Galatians 3:27-29

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/bible/prophecy/seed-of-abraham.php

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
My point exactly. You seem to be using, instead, a "stretch of the imagination" that involves a "motto", "every U.S. coin", what "most Americans think" and your freestanding, unsubstantiated claim that "God gave America full right to all land clear to the Pacific Ocean". If your view is not Bible-based, on what basis are you asserting that it's valid as a Chris ...[text shortened]... being merely a patriotic, nationalistic or even a just plain jingoistic perspective?
You're not from around here, are you?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Feb 13

I think the Bible which would include Pauls words who were also inspired by God, say nothing at all about God being partial to any countries then or in the future.
And the Bible also cleary says that Jesus said that God's Kingdom is NO part of the world. If the USA were somehow set apart from that scriptures meanings, it would be clearly stated somewhe ...[text shortened]... untry would survive because of some special relationship God has over it as compared to others.
You assume much.

Never did I say that the US would survive to the end of the age.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Feb 13

You assume much.

Never did I say that the US would survive to the end of the age.
Why not if it has been blessed or favored by God as you feel it has as opposed to other countries that you feel he doesn't?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
13 Feb 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
No, that is not what I am saying. I was not referring to [b]the seed of Abraham. Did you read the reference -- there are two physical fulfillments of the promise through the two sons of Joseph by the blessing given to them by Jacob (Israel).

You are referring to the spiritual fulfilling of the blessing by Abraham. Here is an answer to that questio ...[text shortened]... se." Galatians 3:27-29

http://www.letgodbetrue.com/bible/prophecy/seed-of-abraham.php[/b]
So exactly how do you feel this applies the USA?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
13 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
You're not wrong. I still always picture him (as I did as a kid) coming running out of his castle with his armour only half-on hurriedly finishing a slice of toast and mug of tea!
😀

I had the same image until a couple of years ago. From somewhere
(a mis-informed teacher?) I'm sure I was once told that it was because
he was unready for war. A friend decided to become a mature student
and read English history so i have become a little more educated in the past
two years!

F

Moves
13 Feb 13

You're not from around here, are you?
This retort rather lends weight to my suggestion that yours is merely a patriotic, nationalistic or jingoistic perspective, and not an authentically Christian one.