"Former Christians"

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Mar 13

Originally posted by Rank outsider

No, I think I made it pretty clear that I cannot rationally chose between the rival claims made by people as to why I should follow their religion as opposed to any other.

Nor, it appears, can you. Or indeed anyone on this forum, as I have asked this question in varying ways a number of times.
Respectfully, if you're that convinced that god is a figment and bad joke, why then do you persist in wasting your time and energies on emotionally charged expressions in protest against the opinions and points of view of other members? Why not spend the discretionary hours of your days messing around elsewhere on this or some alternative, competitive site? On the surface, you appear to pose as a paradox in ink.

Ro

Moves
20 Mar 13
1 edit

Originally posted by checkbaiter
This is known as the 2nd death, there will be as RJ says a trial or judgement. We Christians have as our defense attorney, Jesus Christ, who has already paid for our sins.
Your first death will be by accident, sickness or just a natural death...you have not answered for your sins until the judgement.
Your opinion of God is irrelevant, the judgement wil ...[text shortened]...
When ressurected we will have bodies just like Jesus. We will be whole and full of great joy.
I am amazed you would feel such great joy when your God is busy tossing millions of people into a Lake of Fire simply for believing in another God, or no God.

And that it is a good advert for him.

Ro

Moves
20 Mar 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
Respectfully, if you're that convinced that god is a figment and bad joke, why then do you persist in wasting your time and energies on emotionally charged expressions in protest against the opinions and points of view of other members? Why not spend the discretionary hours of your days messing around elsewhere on this or some alternative, competitive site? On the surface, you appear to pose as a paradox in ink.
I notice that you haven't challenged anything I have said and offered a refutation.

And, in case you hadn't notice, this is a forum for debate on the topic of religion. Which is what I was doing.

F

Moves
20 Mar 13

Respectfully, if you're that convinced that god is a figment and bad joke, why then do you persist in wasting your time and energies on emotionally charged expressions in protest against the opinions and points of view of other members?
This is a debate and discussion forum. One could tweak the question and respectfully toss it back to you: "...if you're so sure that god is real and that you will live for eternity. then why do you persist in wasting your time and energies on arguing against the points of view of other members who have different beliefs from you?"

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Mar 13

Originally posted by FMF

This is a debate and discussion forum. One could tweak the question and respectfully toss it back to you: "...if you're so sure that god is real and that you will live for eternity. then why do you persist in wasting your time and energies on arguing against the points of view of other members who have different beliefs from you?"
hmm... perhaps for the same reason you visit the general forum to argue
against others who hold opinions and views radically opposite your own.

F

Moves
20 Mar 13

hmm... perhaps for the same reason you visit the general forum to argue
against others who hold opinions and views radically opposite your own.
Your earlier content-avoiding retort was almost as flimsy weak as the one we non-Americans get from Americans from time to time on the Debate Forum, especially from those who have difficulty processing disagreement or diversity of viewpoints: 'Hey take a hike, why are you debating America-related topics? You're not even American'.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
20 Mar 13

I am amazed you would feel such great joy when your God is busy tossing millions of people into a Lake of Fire simply for believing in another God, or no God.

And that it is a good advert for him.
Actually, in the book of Revelations when it says God will wipe away every tear, it is after unbelievers are tossed in the Lake of Fire. We as Christians have to watch people we knew and could not convince. This will be a sad event to watch. So much so, that God will have to wipe away our tears...The joy comes soon after.
The penalty for sin must be dealt with in one form or another. You can disbelieve all you want, you can laugh at Christians till the cows come home....but in the end we will shed tears for your unbelief.
God is Holy and cannot co-exist with sin. Sin is like a cancer and must be cut out, dealt with, paid for. The price is blood. Jesus will have paid the price for you, if you do one thing...believe...He is the ransom for the sins of the whole world. The price has been paid. All you have to do is receive it.

Cape Town

Moves
20 Mar 13

..you have not answered for your sins until the judgement.
And does answering for my sins, serve any purpose other than entertainment for the malicious God you believe in? This is another question I find theist are unable or unwilling to discuss.

It is not too late to receive Jesus Christ as Lord and be forgiven for your sins now.
And I couldn't care less if there is no benefit to me. So far, it seems that some illusion of me will be called up at some future time and burnt for the entertainment of some malicious entity. You are yet to convince me that that entity that suffers concerns me at all. After all, I will have died prior to that.

When ressurected we will have bodies just like Jesus. We will be whole and full of great joy.
So what is this 'we' you refer to? A different body is a different you, surely? What stays the same so that we will know its you? And which you? The you now, or the you on your death bed? Or the 5 year old you?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Mar 13

Originally posted by FMF

Your earlier content-avoiding retort was almost as flimsy weak as the one we non-Americans get from Americans from time to time on the Debate Forum, especially from those who have difficulty processing disagreement or diversity of viewpoints: 'Hey take a hike, why are you debating America-related topics? You're not even American'.
> avoidance interspersed with voids in graphic font point spades, how sad.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
20 Mar 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
And does answering for my sins, serve any purpose other than entertainment for the malicious God you believe in? This is another question I find theist are unable or unwilling to discuss.
And does answering your questions, serve any other purpose than entertainment for YOU? When we do give you an answer, you (and others) merely reply you don't believe 'any of that hogwash' and so you simply 'poo-poo' the answer. And then you sit there and claim we never discussed the issue with you, because our answer didn't jive with what you wanted to hear. Well too bad.

This is another question I find theist are unable or unwilling to discuss.

Again, stop distorting what happens so that you can portray people in whatever derogatory light you want. You don't believe the answer, so why even try to explain anything to you when you don't listen? Most times, I'd rather eat nails than try to have an intelligent discussion with people like you. Because you never listen, all you want to do is distort, deny, disassociate and derail. If you want real answers, then be prepared for answers you may not believe in. Oh, and maybe you could try treating us like humans, too. We're not here just for your entertainment.

Ro

Moves
20 Mar 13
1 edit

Actually, in the book of Revelations when it says God will wipe away every tear, it is after unbelievers are tossed in the Lake of Fire. We as Christians have to watch people we knew and could not convince. This will be a sad event to watch. So much so, that God will have to wipe away our tears...The joy comes soon after.
The penalty for sin must be dea ...[text shortened]... nsom for the sins of the whole world. The price has been paid. All you have to do is receive it.
I didn't laugh at you.

I also didn't introduce the concept of sin. In the post where you introduced this topic, you said 'unbelievers' and I took it at that.

I merely expressed amazement that you are so accepting of the fact that a person, born in a time and place where the predominant religion is not Christianity, and therefore statistically speaking highly likely to not be a Christian, and taught from birth that some other religion is the true one, can nonetheless be tossed into a Lake of Fire even though the odds were stacked against them from birth.

In any other human context, these acts would be considered random, barbaric and cruel. I don't see why being a superhuman entity negates any consideration of this.

God could just let people who do not believe in him die and stay dead. But instead he wakes them up again and kills them one more time. That is a very odd concept of mercy, which I think was something Jesus advocated.

Ro

Moves
20 Mar 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
And does answering your questions, serve any other purpose than entertainment for YOU? When we do give you an answer, you (and others) merely reply you don't believe 'any of that hogwash' and so you simply 'poo-poo' the answer. And then you sit there and claim we never discussed the issue with you, because our answer didn't jive with what you wanted to he ...[text shortened]... u could try treating us like humans, too. We're not here just for your entertainment.
I am very happy for you to give me an answer, I will listen to it and I will give it serious consideration.

The question is:

How can anyone who was not born into a Christian family or society be expected to determine that Christianity is the one true faith, as opposed to the hundreds of others that exist or have existed in the past?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
20 Mar 13

I didn't laugh at you.

I also didn't introduce the concept of sin. In the post where you introduced this topic, you said 'unbelievers' and I took it at that.

I merely expressed amazement that you are so accepting of the fact that a person, born in a time and place where the predominant religion is not Christianity, and therefore statistically s ...[text shortened]... re time. That is a very odd concept of mercy, which I think was something Jesus advocated.[/b]
"God could just let people who do not believe in him die and stay dead."

Once again you've fallen into the ever popular trap of humanizieg deity.
We routinely manufacture disposable commercial and personal goods.
He doesn't. His Person, Impeccable; His Plan, Perfect; His Work, Flawless.
God doesn't do things half way. Soul Life He Created is Permanent.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
20 Mar 13

I am a former Christian
tellin' you no lie.
Thought I would be so,
until the day I die.

But then as common sense came
I began to question all I saw.
No answers were forthcoming
from my ma or pa.

The deeper that I dug
it made no sense at all.
Religion was only a comfort
like a baby sleeping with a doll.

It's time to put it all aside
and live for what is real.
There's no spirit in the sky
gonna make you a special deal.

What matters most is to live right
and give your love to others.
If you are upright and honest
people treat you like their brothers.

But if you choose an evil path
and then pray for salvation yet.
Remember there's no proof of God
all there is ........is death.

Ro

Moves
20 Mar 13
1 edit

"God could just let people who do not believe in him die and stay dead."

Once again you've fallen into the ever popular trap of humanizieg deity.
We routinely manufacture disposable commercial and personal goods.
He doesn't. His Person, Impeccable; His Plan, Perfect; His Work, Flawless.
God doesn't do things half way. Soul Life He Created is Permanent.
Well, Suzianne, you complain that people unfairly say that Christians don't give proper answers to their questions, and then I have to read this type of thing.