Flat Earth Society

Flat Earth Society

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
07 Mar 19

@philokalia said
I've been called a fundamentalist on this website, lol.
Why would you find that funny?

Moves
07 Mar 19

@suzianne said
So what was the consensus? Why DO people ignore reality?
Why indeed.... 😉

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
07 Mar 19

@divegeester said
Why indeed.... 😉
Adam on Mythbusters used to say "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own."

I'm guessing that's what's going on here.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
08 Mar 19

@caljust said
The rise of the new Flat Earth movement is quite astonishing. (Check out their website!)

I have often wondered why mature and intelligent people who have at least a smattering knowledge of science still hold archaic and medieval beliefs like a Six-Day Creation, a global flood, and reject evolution.

Now at least some people have the courage to go the whole nine yards an ...[text shortened]... a three-level universe, with waters above and below the firmament, heaven above and hell below, etc?
The earth is not flat. Not exactly round either.

"Three-level universe"? I'm fairly familiar with the Bible and I've never seen that in it. Obviously you're referring to Genesis 1:6,7.

Doesn't say "flat" there.

Moves
08 Mar 19

@suzianne said
Adam on Mythbusters used to say "I reject your reality and substitute it with my own."

I'm guessing that's what's going on here.
You guessed incorrectly.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Mar 19

@sonship said
I don't follow the flat earth controversy.
Like you do not care?
Or do not have an opinion?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Mar 19

@secondson said
The earth is not flat. Not exactly round either.
What do you mean by "not exactly round"?
Would you describe a table-tennis ball as "not exactly round"?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Mar 19
2 edits

@wolfgang59 said
The Earth is not like a table-tennis ball (in the US we call it a ping-pong ball, thus "Beer Pong" ).

It's more like a pumpkin, flattened at the poles. The equatorial diameter is more than the polar diameter.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-is-not-round/

https://www.thoughtco.com/geodesy-size-shape-of-planet-earth-1435325

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Mar 19

@divegeester said
You guessed incorrectly.
Unlike you, I prefer not to think people are a-holes, contributing to a "Freaky Effect".

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Mar 19

@divegeester Freaky must be on vacation or something, hasn't moved for almost a year. I tried to see his form posts but was unable to pull any up. Anyone know what is going on with him?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
08 Mar 19

@sonhouse said
@divegeester Freaky must be on vacation or something, hasn't moved for almost a year. I tried to see his form posts but was unable to pull any up. Anyone know what is going on with him?
The search now only looks back one month. If you don't post in a month, all your old posts fall off the radar. For some people, this is convenient.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Mar 19

@suzianne said
The Earth is not like a table-tennis ball (in the US we call it a ping-pong ball, thus "Beer Pong" ).

It's more like a pumpkin, flattened at the poles. The equatorial diameter is more than the polar diameter.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/earth-is-not-round/

https://www.thoughtco.com/geodesy-size-shape-of-planet-earth-1435325
"The Earth is not like a table-tennis ball...It's more like a pumpkin..."

Let's hope some mischievous alien race doesn't decide to carve out a face.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
09 Mar 19

@wolfgang59 said
If a table-tennis ball was shaped like the earth you wouldn't be able to play with it.

Don't you know the earth is an oblate spheroid?

F

Moves
09 Mar 19

@suzianne said
The search now only looks back one month. If you don't post in a month, all your old posts fall off the radar. For some people, this is convenient.
I think the loss of the personal posting archives and the loss of the search function is a major downgrade of the website's forum life. I hope it is restored. There is word that it may be.

Moves
09 Mar 19
1 edit

@suzianne said
Unlike you, I prefer not to think people are a-holes, contributing to a "Freaky Effect".
I was referring to your comment about people living in reality, and poking fun at you because you frequently appear not to. I wasn’t calling you and a-hole or being under the influence of a “Freaky effect”. Whatever that is.