Do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you?

Do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 Oct 17

"There is something I recognise about religion that we evangelical atheists haven’t really grappled with yet, which is that it gives people a chance to surrender. What religion says to you, essentially, is: you’re not in control. Now, that’s a very liberating idea." - Brian Eno

Moves
22 Oct 17

Originally posted by @fmf
"There is something I recognise about religion that we evangelical atheists haven’t really grappled with yet, which is that it gives people a chance to surrender. What religion says to you, essentially, is: you’re not in control. Now, that’s a very liberating idea." - Brian Eno

[youtube Ambient 2]6xxSDUeHBVw[/youtube]
Would you say you are in total control of everything? Or are there certain things you cannot control?

F

Moves
22 Oct 17
1 edit

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Would you say you are in total control of everything? Or are there certain things you cannot control?
The OP 'question' (topic) is for people who have religious beliefs. If ~ with your religious beliefs ~ you have something to offer on the OP, that would be interesting.

Moves
22 Oct 17

The OP 'question' (topic) is for people who have religious beliefs. If ~ with your religious beliefs ~ you have something to offer on the OP, that would be interesting.
Your dodge is noted.

F

Moves
22 Oct 17

Your dodge is noted.
You haven't addressed the OP. I'm not a person with religious beliefs, so your question to me ~ aside from being rather silly ~ is off-target. Furthermore, I'm not interested. So, as for this OP, do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you?

Child of the Novelty

San Antonio, Texas

Moves
22 Oct 17

You haven't addressed the OP. I'm not a person with religious beliefs, so your question to me ~ aside from being rather silly ~ is off-target. Furthermore, I'm not interested. So, as for this OP, do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you?
I am an agnostic and my religious beliefs do liberate me. 😀

Moves
22 Oct 17

My question is about the OP. As a non religious person, do you feel you are in control of everything?

F

Moves
22 Oct 17

My question is about the OP. As a non religious person, do you feel you are in control of everything?
Your question is juvenile and boringly silly. Don't bother to ask me it again. I am not interested.

If you really want to talk to people about it, start a thread called "Are you in total control of everything?" and see if anyone wants to indulge you. I don't.

Do you think Brian Eno has a point about the psychological effect of religious beliefs?

Moves
22 Oct 17

Your question is juvenile and boringly silly. Don't bother to ask me it again. I am not interested.

If you really want to talk to people about it, start a thread called "Are you in total control of everything?" and see if anyone wants to indulge you. I don't.

Do you think Brian Eno has a point about the psychological effect of religious beliefs?

How's this for a taste of your own medicine?

F

Moves
22 Oct 17

If you don't find Brian Eno's comment interesting, why have you posted 4 times on this thread about it?

Moves
22 Oct 17

If you don't find Brian Eno's comment interesting, why have you posted 4 times on this thread about it?
I was referring to your question. His quote seems to imply that we really are in control and that religion makes us think we aren't. Hence my question to you.

F

Moves
22 Oct 17

I was referring to your question. His quote seems to imply that we really are in control and that religion makes us think we aren't. Hence my question to you.
If you think Brian Eno had 'people having total control of everything' v 'people having control of nothing', then fair enough. As for me, I don't have religious beliefs. You do. Do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you... in any way... in any sense... or to any degree?

Moves
22 Oct 17

If you think Brian Eno had 'people having total control of everything' v 'people having control of nothing', then fair enough. As for me, I don't have religious beliefs. You do. Do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you... in any way... in any sense... or to any degree?
When you had religious beliefs in the past did you feel they liberated you? And if so do you now feel less 'liberated' now that you have no religious beliefs?

F

Moves
22 Oct 17

[1] When you had religious beliefs in the past did you feel they liberated you? And if so do you now feel less 'liberated' now that you have no religious beliefs?
[1] [When I had religious beliefs in the past did I feel they liberated me?] No, not really. I felt they empowered me and, in a sense, obligated me.

[2] [Do I now feel more or less 'liberated' now that I have no religious beliefs?] No. Neither. To a degree, I feel 'liberated' [although it's probably too strong a word] from the process of growing doubt and loss of faith that went on for quite a long time.

So, do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you?

Moves
22 Oct 17
1 edit

[1] [[b]When I had religious beliefs in the past did I feel they liberated me?] No, not really. I felt they empowered me and, in a sense, obligated me.

[2] [Do I now feel more or less 'liberated' now that I have no religious beliefs?] No. Neither. To a degree, I feel 'liberated' [although it's probably too strong a word] from the process of growi ...[text shortened]... ss of faith that went on for quite a long time.

So, do your religious beliefs 'liberate' you?[/b]
So then you disagree with Brian Eno's quote?

Yes I think they liberate me from quite a few things such as the fear of death and the penalty of sin.