1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Mar '21 17:35
    @sonship said
    I heard you. I wrote and stand with -

I would rather focus, avalanche, on how you may be thoroughly cleansed from your sins of evil speaking in this realm and in every other realm of your life, forever.
    I shall conclude from that second obvious dodge that you do think so, but you're either unable to back it up with a bunch of shoddily edited quotes or simply lack the courage to stand by your aspersions. Why on earth do you think any thinking being would take YOUR advice on how to improve themselves?
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    22 Mar '21 19:403 edits
    @avalanchethecat
    I am not giving advise on how to improve yourself.
    I was not discussing self improvement but advising you to seek forgiveness and regeneration.

Do you think I have said evil things about Jesus?

Yes, occasionally.

I find the concept of an all-knowing god thoroughly abhorrent.

That rather depends on what god said to me. If it turns out to be the god of the bible... well, that'd be a tricky one, because I've got some issues with that fella.

I understand that to mean God has done evil things for which you want to scold Him.

I don't regard the bible as reliable source material.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Mar '21 20:38
    @sonship said

Do you think I have said evil things about Jesus?

Yes, occasionally.

I find the concept of an all-knowing god thoroughly abhorrent.

That rather depends on what god said to me. If it turns out to be the god of the bible... well, that'd be a tricky one, because I've got some issues with that fella.

I understand that t ...[text shortened]... ich you want to scold Him.

I don't regard the bible as reliable source material.
    Absolutely none of those comments refer in any way to Jesus though. That's the best you could come up with?
  4. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    22 Mar '21 20:413 edits
    @sonship
    You've made an extraordinarily - in your estimation at least - scurrilous assertion, and the best evidence you can come up with to support your clearly untrue insult is quite obviously completely unrelated to the subject. Doesn't your scripture say something about bearing false witness?

I think I now feel ready to add a comment to your ego thread.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 01:11
    @avalanchethecat

Absolutely none of those comments refer in any way to Jesus though. That's the best you could come up with?

You saying the concept of God is "abhorrent" is certainly calling Jesus either mad or a liar or history's greatest charlatan.

He was all about God.
  6. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 02:27
    @sonship said
    You saying the concept of God is "abhorrent" is certainly calling Jesus either mad or a liar or history's greatest charlatan.
    Jesus has been stone dead for 2,000+ years. You don't appear to have any credible information about "God" or a creator entity. Instead, you offer an ideology based on your subjective opinions based on your own speculation about supernatural things. What is being rejected and critiqued is your ideology.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 10:34
    @sonship said
    Find me a post written by you with "Lord Jesus" in it.
    That will really make me have to apologize.
    So you start a thread to ask me a question and then don’t believe my answer.

If I went and found a post where I said that, and I could, you wouldn’t apologise. You NEVER apologise when you’re proved wrong, you just brazen it out or disappear for a week or so.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 10:35
    @sonship said
    @divegeester

I don’t recognise “owning Jesus” as being in the bible, so I’ll add that to the list.

Now this is curious. You say you called Him Lord Jesus. But you do not say that you have anything to do with "OWNING JESUS".

How does that work?
    There is no mention of “owning Jesus” in the bible.
    It’s very simple sonship.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 10:36
    @sonship said
    @divegeester
    I don’t think I’ve ever heard “evil things” spoken about the person of Jesus Christ, in fact FMF in particular is a promoter in this forum of the words and values of Jesus.

This thread is not about evil things anyone said.
    Then why did YOU bring it into the thread then?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 10:39
    @sonship said
    @divegeester
    Now unless I miss something, you said you did call Jesus Lord but you do not own Jesus. Why not?
    I did not say that I didn’t own Jesus, I pointed out to you that YOUR term “owning Jesus” is not in the bible, it’s another one of your made up phrases, like “Jesus flowing” or “fountain of blood” or “trinity”.

Or indeed people on other worlds witnessing the eternal suffering as a warning to them....

Remember that gem?
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 12:252 edits
    You poster yourself like you are very dedicated to textural purity.

Like you will ONLY use phrases EXACTLY as they are written in the text of Scripture.
    This has an appearance to some as being strict and true to the Bible.
    However, this TOO can be something taken overboard and to an extreme.

Now I agree that we should be careful of extra-biblical terms.
    But your examples are not good. The saints who uttered such phrases as you complain about were quite faithful and experienced in living out the Christian life.

The experience of living in God is too rich. Human language cannot exhaust its benefits. Suppose we were not able to speak of the joys of marriage except with some exact set vocabulary with no poetic license permitted? How many thousands of love poems might be "disqualified" ?
  12. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 12:251 edit
    While I empathize with not wanting to be deceived by overly fanciful expressions, I would say the opposite of legalization, small mindedness, and a artificial "orthodoxy" is not helpful.

There use to be a group I knew called "The Navigators". These were very good Christian brothers. The few that I met I was impressed with. But they had a quirk. They had some rule that Navigators were not allowed to read commentaries on the Bible. They had this legalistic rule that Navigators were ONLY allowed to read the Bible.

This was extreme. Biographies, autobiographies of believers and fellowship and some notes and teachings of those having gone before can be helpful.

Having said all this, I realize that I gave provocative titles to some threads only to spark some interest. This left the door open for critics to complain about "That phrase is not in the Bible. Danger! Danger!"
  13. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 12:51
    @sonship said
    You poster yourself like you are very dedicated to textural purity.

Like you will ONLY use phrases EXACTLY as they are written in the text of Scripture.
    This has an appearance to some as being strict and true to the Bible.
    However, this TOO can be something taken overboard and to an extreme.

Now I agree that we should be careful of extra-biblical terms.
    But your e ...[text shortened]... abulary with no poetic license permitted? How many thousands of love poems might be "disqualified" ?
    Who are you talking to?
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 12:51
    @sonship said
    While I empathize with not wanting to be deceived by overly fanciful expressions, I would say the opposite of legalization, small mindedness, and a artificial "orthodoxy" is not helpful.

There use to be a group I knew called "The Navigators". These were very good Christian brothers. The few that I met I was impressed with. But they had a quirk. They had some rule that ...[text shortened]... left the door open for critics to complain about "That phrase is not in the Bible. Danger! Danger!"
    Who are you talking to?
  15. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    23 Mar '21 12:582 edits
    @divegeester
    The last two posts were written with you and your complaint in mind.

The brothers in the past who came up with the phrase "Triune God" probably would not have HAD to do so except for severe attacks against the Person of Christ.

If it was the totality of the NT that we just get our ticket to heaven and wait to go off to a merry place, then some deeper Christians would not have had to explore the Scritpures to see "God-men" is really what the NT teaches.

In cases of terms being used it is often the case that the deficiency of superficial explanations of salvation must be corrected.

So while I empathize somewhat with the attitude of caution, I recognize the need to really bring out for people more of what the Bible actually reveals, especially on the positive side.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree