Did Mary outlive Jesus?

Did Mary outlive Jesus?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
17 Aug 12

?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
17 Aug 12

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
?
The Bible does not tell us when or where Mary died. Church tradition records that John took her with him to Ephesus and she was buried there around 48 AD.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Aug 12

?
Hmm, so she would have had to live until roughly age 55...I wonder what the average life expectancy was at the time.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Aug 12

?
Since Mary was present at the crucifixion, yeah, I guess she did outlive Jesus.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Aug 12

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Hmm, so she would have had to live until roughly age 55...I wonder what the average life expectancy was at the time.
No, only about 46.

Jewish tradition at that time had women married off usually around age 12. If she gave birth to Jesus even a year later (it probably wasn't quite that long), she would have been 13 and Jesus died at 33, making her 46 at the time of His death.

Depending on the source, she is then believed to have lived between 11 and 24 years after that.

F

Moves
18 Aug 12

Originally posted by Suzianne
No, only about 46.

Jewish tradition at that time had women married off usually around age 12. If she gave birth to Jesus even a year later (it probably wasn't quite that long), she would have been 13 and Jesus died at 33, making her 46 at the time of His death.

Depending on the source, she is then believed to have lived between 11 and 24 years after that.
Do you think she had other children after she had Jesus?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
18 Aug 12

Originally posted by FMF
Do you think she had other children after she had Jesus?
While some Anglicans do believe in the Perpetual Virginity of Mary, it is not considered dogma. I, myself, find it rather difficult to believe, given that Jesus reportedly had siblings, children of Mary and Joseph, most notably, James.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
18 Aug 12
1 edit

I think she may have been older than 55, since Jesus was 35 when he was crucified in 31 AD.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
18 Aug 12

No, only about 46.

12? Isn't that a bit young? Was she even ovulating yet? 😕

F

Moves
18 Aug 12
1 edit

12? Isn't that a bit young?
Only if the betrothal involves Muslims, apparently.

F

Moves
18 Aug 12

While some Anglicans do believe in the Perpetual Virginity of Mary, it is not considered dogma. I, myself, find it rather difficult to believe, given that Jesus reportedly had siblings, children of Mary and Joseph, most notably, James.
What is the age difference between Jesus and James?

PH

Moves
18 Aug 12

Originally posted by FMF
What is the age difference between Jesus and James?
How do you get an age difference with a myth?

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
18 Aug 12

12? Isn't that a bit young? Was she even ovulating yet? 😕
Under certain circumstances kids will hit puberty that early.

Cape Town

Moves
18 Aug 12

Originally posted by Phil Hill
If its not recorded in the fairy tale, then you make it up. Notice how RJHinds and Suzianne give different figures yet talk about them like they are obvious facts. Either there are multiple versions of the myth, or one of them is making it up as we go along.

F

Moves
18 Aug 12

Originally posted by Phil Hill
Perhaps this is better addressed to Suzianne if she chooses to answer it.