Desert Island

Desert Island

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rain

Moves
09 May 16
2 edits

Originally posted by googlefudge
You're evidently not paying close enough attention 😛
I made that joke already.
Lord help us.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
09 May 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
The words root refers to an abandoned place empty of people. Both desserts and dessert islands fit that description, but for different reasons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert#Etymology
I live in the Sonoran Desert, one of the largest deserts in NA. There are quite literally millions of people here. I think I can be excused for not conflating "desert" with "deserted". A desert is a climate zone, irrespective of population.

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
10 May 16

Originally posted by vivify
I was wondering when someone would use this joke. Took you long enough.

Next time a thread about dolphins is made, please respond with a "porpoise" pun in a more timely manner.
I was wondering when someone would complain about this.

Next thread, give us a little more fabric to start with and the puns will be more elegantly woven, too.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
10 May 16

Originally posted by moonbus
I was wondering when someone would complain about this.

Next thread, give us a little more fabric to start with and the puns will be more elegantly woven, too.
Hey, are you saying my thread was lacking fabric?

Sir, remove yourself from my island.

😠

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
10 May 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke

😠
You know the going rate....

Cape Town

Moves
10 May 16

There is sufficient food, fresh water and shelter to sustain life...

Clearly no mention of clothes or other fabrics.

Just as soon as the rescue party arrives. I'd rather be naked than try to swim for it.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
10 May 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
There is sufficient food, fresh water and shelter to sustain life...

Clearly no mention of clothes or other fabrics.

[b]Sir, remove yourself from my island.

Just as soon as the rescue party arrives. I'd rather be naked than try to swim for it.[/b]
You and Moonbus are very welcome to stay a while on my island.

Now, regarding the island tax...

Cape Town

Moves
10 May 16

Who would last longer, a republican or a democrat?

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
10 May 16
1 edit

You and Moonbus are very welcome to stay a while on my island.

No taxation without representation. We will make ourselves ungovernable unless we have a say in government.

EDIT: can I be the postmaster?

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
10 May 16

Originally posted by vivify
A Buddhist, a Christian and an atheist are each stranded by themselves on a remote desert island. The Buddhist learns to find peace with his new life, the atheist studies the land to build a raft and go home, and the Christian drowns trying to walk back to civilization.
A Hindu has been stranded on this island a thousand lifetimes before and will be stranded on this island a thousand lifetimes again. It makes no difference whether he stays or goes this time.

D

Moves
10 May 16
1 edit

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
10 May 16

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Hey, not a bad question. Will attempt to answer tomorrow after my morning coffee.

Ãœber-Nerd

Moves
11 May 16

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Interesting. I should think not only strong leadership, but strong and wise leadership, made the difference. Otherwise it degenerates into "Lord of the Flies" syndrome (i.e., the leader and his thugs bullying the weaker ones).

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 May 16
1 edit

Originally posted by moonbus
Interesting. I should think not only strong leadership, but strong and wise leadership, made the difference. Otherwise it degenerates into "Lord of the Flies" syndrome (i.e., the leader and his thugs bullying the weaker ones).
Seeing as you are in the company of intellectual heavy weights, I can only assume your elaboration on "Lord of the Flies" syndrome was for the benefit of Robbie Carrobie?

Personally, I think there is more chance of the theist losing their religion on the island than the atheist finding God.

Cape Town

Moves
11 May 16

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutiny_on_the_Bounty

Christian's group remained undiscovered on Pitcairn until 1808, by which time only one mutineer, John Adams, remained alive. Almost all his fellow mutineers, including Christian, had been killed, either by each other or by their Polynesian companions.

Only two men died of natural causes, but nine women survived. I don't know when they got converted to Christianity, or how it was pursuasive given the very unchristian like conduct of the men.