Desert Island

Desert Island

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
06 May 16

Okay, a Buddhist, a Christian and an Atheist are each stranded by themselves on a remote desert island. (Hey, it could happen). There is sufficient food, fresh water and shelter to sustain life, but little chance of rescue.

Who would stay mentally strong the longest, and why?

Cape Town

Moves
06 May 16

But is there internet?
And are they all the same sex?

Moves
06 May 16

Originally posted by twhitehead
But is there internet?
And are they all the same sex?
No internet, but there are coconuts. (Plenty of coconuts).

They're all men, aged 27 and Sagittarius.

Cape Town

Moves
06 May 16

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
No internet, but there are coconuts. (Plenty of coconuts).

They're all men, aged 27 and Sagittarius.
To be honest I don't think knowing their religion is enough to make a reasonable guess as to how they will take it. There is just so much more to people than their religion.

w

Moves
06 May 16

Okay, a Buddhist, a Christian and an Atheist are each stranded by themselves on a remote desert island. (Hey, it could happen). There is sufficient food, fresh water and shelter to sustain life, but little chance of rescue.

I think I heard this joke once but can't remember the punch line. 😞

rain

Moves
06 May 16

Assuming they were all fervent in their beliefs, had similar personalities, etc., I'd say the Christian. The Christian would have some sort of hope of something greater than himself rescuing him, and/or the belief that God is testing him and will reward him for his faith. That could keep him going longer than the other two whose beliefs are don't include miracles.

That said, the Christian would probably fair the worst in a world full of ever-progressing scientific knowledge and social acceptance.

rain

Moves
06 May 16
6 edits

Originally posted by whodey
I think I heard this joke once but can't remember the punch line. 😞
A Buddhist, a Christian and an atheist are each stranded by themselves on a remote desert island. The Buddhist learns to find peace with his new life, the atheist studies the land to build a raft and go home, and the Christian drowns trying to walk back to civilization.

Moves
06 May 16

http://www.pewforum.org/2015/04/02/main-factors-driving-population-growth/pf_15-04-02_ch1graphics_lifeexpectancyreligion310px/

Buddhists > Unaffiliated > Christian

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
06 May 16

Probably the atheist.
He has more "invested" in being rescued in that he knows that this life is the only life.

Also - statistically - he is more intelligent and better educated than the other two.

D

Moves
06 May 16
1 edit

D

Moves
07 May 16
1 edit

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
07 May 16

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Probably the atheist.
He has more "invested" in being rescued in that he knows that this life is the only life.

Also - statistically - he is more intelligent and better educated than the other two.
I wouldn't bet on that, I looked up the statistics on College education in the US a couple of years ago for a thread in this forum. From memory the grouping most likely to have a college (i.e. university) education were the Unitarians.

Immigration Central

tinyurl.com/muzppr8z

Moves
07 May 16
2 edits

The post that was quoted here has been removed
More recently, a Colombian man survived two months stranded on a raft.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/05/politics/pacific-rescue-after-two-months-at-sea/index.html

Survivor Type is a creepy short story by Stephen King which is about being stranded on a raft.

http://www.newsbusters.org/blogs/melissa-mullins/2015/05/31/hollywood-diversity-white-actresses-getting-asian-roles

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 May 16

That wouldn't be very Christian would it?
Or Buddhist presumably??
😀

Moves
07 May 16

What if the atheist, void as he is of morality, decides to eat the Buddhist and Christian and use that extra protein to build a raft?