Dawkins vs Pell

Dawkins vs Pell

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
11 Apr 12

I don't know if this video is viewable outside Australia. It's a one-hour debate between Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion etc) and Cardinal George Pell (top man in the Catholic Church in Australia). Two very intelligent men and a discussion free from the non sequiturs that usually surface in these debates.
The whole video is at http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/series/3421606 and if you can't see that there's a short clip at http://media.smh.com.au/news/national-news/god-v-science-pell-and-dawkins-go-headtohead-3200957.html

rc

Moves
11 Apr 12

Originally posted by Kewpie
I don't know if this video is viewable outside Australia. It's a one-hour debate between Richard Dawkins (The God Delusion etc) and Cardinal George Pell (top man in the Catholic Church in Australia). Two very intelligent men and a discussion free from the non sequiturs that usually surface in these debates.
The whole video is at http://www.abc.net.au/ivie ...[text shortened]... edia.smh.com.au/news/national-news/god-v-science-pell-and-dawkins-go-headtohead-3200957.html
(2 Corinthians 6:14-16) . . .Or what sharing does light have with darkness?  Further,
what harmony is there between Christ and Belial? Or what portion does a faithful
person have with an unbeliever?

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
11 Apr 12

and your point is?

rc

Moves
11 Apr 12
1 edit

and your point is?
I think its self evident, but that's just me, so let me spell it out, what is there to debate with an unbeliever?

Please note its not an attack on non believers, its simply a matter of practicality, for
shall they understand the teaching of the torture stake of the Christ, no, it simply
foolishness to them, but to us, its a matter of salvation, shall we be convinced that our
beliefs are a delusion, no, for nothing can separate a Christian from the love of God.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
11 Apr 12
1 edit

I wonder if Dawkins felt the same way? Personally, I don't see any point in debating the differences between reason and faith, they're not in opposition. Still, not everyone agrees with us - the show drew a record audience from all over Australia.

rc

Moves
11 Apr 12
1 edit

I wonder if Dawkins felt the same way? Personally, I don't see any point in debating the differences between reason and faith, they're not in opposition. Still, not everyone agrees with us - the show drew a record audience from all over Australia.
sure thing, i guess its a matter of personal taste. Isn't like your PM an openly
professed atheist, and a woman 😲, one of the few heads of state to declare her
atheism, a very dangerous combination I hasten to add 😛

t

Moves
11 Apr 12

who in their right mind would call George Pell intelligent

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
11 Apr 12
1 edit

The whole video is at http://www.abc.net.au/ivie edia.smh.com.au/news/national-news/god-v-science-pell-and-dawkins-go-headtohead-3200957.html
You know, the only person who comes out of this debate with any sense of integrity is the chairman! Both Dawkins and Pell come across as rather bumbling characters, albeit of immense intellectual stature. Dawkins is clearly harassed and on the defensive, Pell is rather too smug and laid back and we, the audience, know there will never be any consummation of the union. These are always interesting to watch as they sharpen and define our own views, but I doubt whether anyone onthe audience, or indeed watching, will have had a conversion!

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Apr 12

Originally posted by Pianoman1
]consummation of the union.
Unfortunate turn of phrase. For what it's worth, I would tune in to watch that.

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
11 Apr 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
sure thing, i guess its a matter of personal taste. Isn't like your PM an openly
professed atheist, and a woman 😲, one of the few heads of state to declare her
atheism, a very dangerous combination I hasten to add 😛
Are you condemning her because of her lack of religious belief, or her lack of testicles?

rc

Moves
11 Apr 12
1 edit

Are you condemning her because of her lack of religious belief, or her lack of testicles?
both will do nicely 🙂

Australian cat

Australia

Moves
11 Apr 12

So you prove yourself sexist as well as bigoted, it seems.

rc

Moves
11 Apr 12
1 edit

So you prove yourself sexist as well as bigoted, it seems.
Difficult as it is to determine emotions from an internet text, given lack of tone in voice,
lack of facial expression, lack of gestures etc etc, the use of emoticons may prove to
be a step for a hint! although it takes a degree of discernment on the part of the
recipient to gauge to what extent the proposer is utilising them and in what manner. If
my jocular approach and general light-heartedness has been misconstrued then so be
it, in the immortal words of Dylan, call me anything you like, I will never deny it. If on
the other hand you prefer something more meaty to chew upon, may i suggest a bar of
French nougat, rather than remonstrate with this jester!

F

Moves
11 Apr 12

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Difficult as it is to determine emotions from an internet text, given lack of tone in voice,
lack of facial expression, lack of gestures etc etc, the use of emoticons may prove to
be a step for a hint! although it takes a degree of discernment on the part of the
recipient to gauge to what extent the proposer is utilising them and in what manne ...[text shortened]... to chew upon, may i suggest a bar of
French nougat, rather than remonstrate with this jester!
But you do have women elders and leaders in your JW Kingdom Hall communities, right?

rc

Moves
11 Apr 12
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
But you do have women elders and leaders in your JW Kingdom Hall communities, right?
Bible forbids it. 😲