Close friendship

Close friendship

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
08 Sep 17

I saw this in the paper today:

"As Aristotle noted, close, deep friendship is one of the pinnacles of human experience."

Is it true?

What other experiences out-pinnacle it?

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
08 Sep 17

Originally posted by @fmf

"As Aristotle noted, close, deep friendship is one of the pinnacles of human experience."

Is it true?

First sir, please evidence that 'out-pinnacle' is a viable word.

w

Moves
08 Sep 17

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
First sir, please evidence that 'out-pinnacle' is a viable word.
I think it's Latin.

Moves
08 Sep 17
1 edit

"What other experiences out-pinnacle it?"

Passing off a clever remark as your own.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
08 Sep 17

Is it true?

It's definitely out-pinnacled by close, deep friendship with benefits.

Moves
08 Sep 17
2 edits

Is it true?

Having a real supernatural experience when you realise how much Jesus loves you even if you have turned your back on Him.

F

Moves
09 Sep 17

Originally posted by @dj2becker
Having a real supernatural experience when you realise how much Jesus loves you even if you have turned your back on Him.
For me personally, there were certainly some experiences related to my Christian beliefs that were pinnacles in my life. I'm not interested in describing them now but I still remember and perceive those experiences as meaningful and influential to me despite the fact that I have lost that faith and those beliefs in the meantime. Indeed, religiosity can and does permeate and affect all other pinnacle experiences.

Moves
09 Sep 17

For me personally, there were certainly some experiences related to my Christian beliefs that were pinnacles in my life. I'm not interested in describing them now but I still remember and perceive those experiences as meaningful and influential to me despite the fact that I have lost that faith and those beliefs in the meantime. Indeed, religiosity can and does permeate and affect all other pinnacle experiences.
Why do you refer to them as perceived experiences? Surely if you experienced the experience then it is a valid stand alone experience irrespective of your position on christianity today?

F

Moves
09 Sep 17

Originally posted by @divegeester
Why do you refer to them as perceived experiences? Surely if you experienced the experience then it is a valid stand alone experience irrespective of your position on christianity today?
Well, yes, that is what I was trying to say. I meant that, despite my loss of faith, and despite the major change my perception of Jesus underwent, I continue to perceive those experiences as being meaningful and influential.

Moves
09 Sep 17

Well, yes, that is what I was trying to say. I meant that, despite my loss of faith, and despite the major change my perception of Jesus underwent, I continue to perceive those experiences as being meaningful and influential.
In what way were they meaningful and influential?

F

Moves
09 Sep 17

In what way were they meaningful and influential?
In the ways and to the extent that I have already described.

Moves
09 Sep 17

In the ways and to the extent that I have already described.
In other words, leave me alone.

F

Moves
09 Sep 17

In other words, leave me alone.
No need for any "in other words" version of your own invention. The words I posted are fine. I think a person's religiosity can and inevitably does permeate and affect pretty much all pinnacle experiences that a believer has. I have no need to go into any personal detail to illustrate this uncontroversial observation.

Moves
09 Sep 17

No need for any "in other words" version of your own invention. The words I posted are fine. I think a person's religiosity can and inevitably does permeate and affect pretty much all pinnacle experiences that a believer has. I have no need to go into any personal detail to illustrate this uncontroversial observation.
Your evasiveness to most of my questions is also fine.

F

Moves
09 Sep 17

Your evasiveness to most of my questions is also fine.
Does your religiosity permeate and affect pretty much every pinnacle experience you have, and have had? It did for me - back when I was religious. I am not asking for examples. I am just asking if you agree with the observation.