Christmas...

Christmas...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
29 Nov 15
2 edits

Originally posted by DeepThought
I think these make sense, at least within the logic the JW's use. Christmas is a Pagan festival subborned by the Roman Church over 1,000 years ago to facilitate the conversion of the Pagans. Similarly All Hallow's eve, that was the Pagan new year, so I can see why the JW's disavow it. Hannukah is an odd one to have in the list, since I don't know of a ...[text shortened]... ebrate these things, it's all a little dour, but I think valid criticisms of JW's lie elsewhere.
Romans chapter 14 deals with pettiness. Organisations and people can be petty, choosing rather to focus on trivial matters rather than weightier matters which Jesus spoke of. Paul here deals with those who tried to separate themselves or show their superiority by claiming they did not eat certain things or did not celebrate certain occasions .. its all petty mumbo-jumbo according to Paul.

One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks. (Rom 14:5-6)

JWs are seriously mistaken if they really believe that Jesus Christ is interested in who eats what or celebrates what day and when and how .. garbage doctrines.

rc

Moves
29 Nov 15

Originally posted by Rajk999
Romans chapter 14 deals with pettiness. Organisations and people can be petty, choosing rather to focus on trivial matters rather than weightier matters which Jesus spoke of. Paul here deals with those who tried to separate themselves or show their superiority by claiming they did not eat certain things or did not celebrate certain occasions .. its all pett ...[text shortened]... ist is interested in who eats what or celebrates what day and when and how .. garbage doctrines.
Are you speaking for Jesus now?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
29 Nov 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Are you speaking for Jesus now?
I quoted Paul who was speaking for Jesus. Let me know if you need me to quote where Paul said that he was sent to the Gentiles by Christ himself.

rc

Moves
29 Nov 15

I quoted Paul who was speaking for Jesus. Let me know if you need me to quote where Paul said that he was sent to the Gentiles by Christ himself.
You stated that you seem to think you know what Jesus himself thinks. I was just wondering how you got that knowledge.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
29 Nov 15

You stated that you seem to think you know what Jesus himself thinks. I was just wondering how you got that knowledge.
What Jesus requires of us as followers, and for entry into the Kingdom of God, is very clearly stated by him throughout his teachings. Nowhere does he mention matters like birthdays, celebrations days and things of that nature. In Romans 14 Paul makes it clear that these things [and other petty matters] are of no consequence.

So the answer to your question is Yes, I do know what Jesus himself thinks about these matters under discussion.

rc

Moves
29 Nov 15
5 edits

What Jesus requires of us as followers, and for entry into the Kingdom of God, is very clearly stated by him throughout his teachings. Nowhere does he mention matters like birthdays, celebrations days and things of that nature. In Romans 14 Paul makes it clear that these things [and other petty matters] are of no consequence.

So the answer to your question is Yes, I do know what Jesus himself thinks about these matters under discussion.
he doesn't mention sniffing glue or shooting people with guns either and in fact the Christian is counselled to use their power of discernment to distinguish between right and wrong because as Paul tells us solid food belongs to mature people, who through use can distinguish between right and wrong. It seems to me that what you are advocating is nothing less than a spiritual laziness. I reject the idea that using ones powers of discernment to distinguish what is right and wrong is of no consequence.

But solid food belongs to mature people, to those who through use have their powers of discernment trained to distinguish both right and wrong. Hebrews 5:14

I don't think you know what Jesus himself thinks, i think you are talking nonsense.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
29 Nov 15

he doesn't mention sniffing glue or shooting people with guns either and in fact the Christian is counselled to use their power of discernment to distinguish between right and wrong because as Paul tells us solid food belongs to mature people, who through use can distinguish between right and wrong. It seems to me that what you are advocating is not ...[text shortened]... sequence.

I don't think you know what Jesus himself thinks, i think you are talking nonsense.
Sniffing glue is self destruction, and the other one is clearly murder. Are you saying that you need some special power of discernment to realise that?

The Pharisees used their powers of discernment and the resultant doctrine which Jesus condemned in the strongest possible language, was burdensome to people. Read Matt chapter 23.

The discernment of the Watchtower goes far beyond the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles and way into the realm of false doctrine.

rc

Moves
29 Nov 15
1 edit

Sniffing glue is self destruction, and the other one is clearly murder. Are you saying that you need some special power of discernment to realise that?

The Pharisees used their powers of discernment and the resultant doctrine which Jesus condemned in the strongest possible language, was burdensome to people. Read Matt chapter 23.

The discernment of the ...[text shortened]... oes far beyond the teachings of Jesus and the Apostles and way into the realm of false doctrine.
What I am saying is that your argument that Jesus does not mention anything specifically is pants. The Pharisees did not use their powers of discernment they were not guided by conscience! they were guided by rules and decrees and laws which forbade their use of their powers of discernment. Nothing you have said is true and we are free to dismiss your words as those of a madman.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Nov 15

Obviously, he did not get that knowledge from the Watchtower Society or their Awake magazine. 😏

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
30 Nov 15

here is the foreword to your cherished Bible,

To the most high and mightie Prince, James by the grace of God King of Great Britaine, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, &c. The translators of The Bible, wish Grace, Mercie, and Peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Great and manifold were the blessings (most dread Soveraigne) which Almig ...[text shortened]... monster was sent to rule them. Clearly your translators were suck ups to a superlative degree.
Then take it up with them, Clyde.

At least they derived their dogma from the scripture, instead of writing their scripture to fit their already-made dogma.

And by the way, if you don't like all the "Rule Britainnia" hoopla, then move. I notice your countrymen decided to all stay rather than make their own country. I guess they were suck ups too.

rc

Moves
30 Nov 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
Then take it up with them, Clyde.

At least they derived their dogma from the scripture, instead of writing their scripture to fit their already-made dogma.

And by the way, if you don't like all the "Rule Britainnia" hoopla, then move. I notice your countrymen decided to all stay rather than make their own country. I guess they were suck ups too.
More empty assertions and nothingness. How banal!

r

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by RJHinds
This was before telecommunications. There was no radio, telephone, television, or internet. I am sure Jesus would want Christians today to take advantage of mass communication means to spread the good news of His kingdom.
go to JW.org on the internet

r

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by FMF
What happens to members of your organisation who don't go door to door?
They become inactive and we work to encourage them.

r

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by divegeester
Because the Bible tells us that kings are set by God, it tells us that we are to fear God but honour the king, it tells us that we are to pay our taxes.

You are not "Christians" you are "Jehovah's Witnesses" there is a chasm of difference in the mind of the "Christian" between you and us.

When you say "we choose to do gods will, what will you cho ...[text shortened]... to do God's will"?

Stop knocking on doors because you are told to, and seek God for yourself.
Anybody can do God's will. We just need to learn what that will is first.
That's part of why Jesus came to Earth, to show us what God's will is.

F

Moves
01 Dec 15

Originally posted by roigam
They become inactive and we work to encourage them.
But you said "true Christians have been commissioned by Jesus to go door to door." So if they are not doing that, how does it work? Are they "true Christians"?