Christmas...

Christmas...

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Nov 15
1 edit

Originally posted by roigam
(Proverbs 10:19) When words are many, transgression cannot be avoided, But whoever controls his lips acts discreetly.
He who conceals hatred has lying lips, And he who spreads slander is a fool.

(Proverbs 10:18)

rc

Moves
28 Nov 15

It's called a Kingdom Hall because we preach the Good News of the Kingdom.
We honor the son by carrying out his command to preach and teach.
Most so called Christians listen to a clergyman in a church.
At best some will try to get the message out to a friend or neighbor.
We preach and teach in over 850 languages worldwide.
btw we are Jehovah's Christian Witnesses as opposed to Jehovah's Jewish Witnesses.
yes indeed Jehovahs Christian Witnesses and we are beautiful.

rc

Moves
28 Nov 15

Originally posted by RJHinds

say wah?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
28 Nov 15

You just shot yourself in the foot.
Or possibly the head.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Nov 15
1 edit

Originally posted by divegeester
Because the Bible tells us that kings are set by God, it tells us that we are to fear God but honour the king, it tells us that we are to pay our taxes.

You are not "Christians" you are "Jehovah's Witnesses" there is a chasm of difference in the mind of the "Christian" between you and us.

When you say "we choose to do gods will, what will you cho ...[text shortened]... to do God's will"?

Stop knocking on doors because you are told to, and seek God for yourself.
I would have gone more with:

"Then saith he unto them, Render therefore unto Caesar the things which are Caesar's; and unto God the things that are God's." -- Matthew 22:21, KJV

but I'm guessing that's pretty much what you were referencing.

But then again, I'm guilty of referring the JWs back to the KJV just because I think it's kinda funny, like how you hold up a cross to a vampire. πŸ™‚

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
28 Nov 15

The question is: are those who do not go door to door and bring the Good News of God's Kingdom to people, are they really Christian, are they really doing God's will.

Judge for yourself.
Some of us have different ministries.

Together, all Christians serve the will of God.

But not if we get in each others' way.

y

Moves
28 Nov 15

A little off my friend...

Proverbs 10:18New International Version (NIV)

18 Whoever conceals hatred with lying lips and spreads slander is a fool.

A big difference.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
28 Nov 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yes indeed Jehovahs Christian Witnesses and we are beautiful.
Jehovah's Christian Witnesses. That's a new one. LOL.

You, beautiful!

Pure forum comedy gold.

rc

Moves
28 Nov 15

mmm looking forward to some mince pies πŸ˜€

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
29 Nov 15

Originally posted by yoctobyte

A big difference.
The Jehovah's Witnesses NWT (2013 edition) puts it like this:
The one who conceals his hatred speaks lies, And the one spreading malicious reports is stupid.

The Greek Septuagint has been translated as follows:
Righteous lips cover enmity; but they that utter railings are most foolish.

So what do you make of this?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Nov 15

Originally posted by yoctobyte

A big difference.
And the KJV says, "He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool."

Pretty close.

rc

Moves
29 Nov 15

Originally posted by Suzianne
And the KJV says, "He that hideth hatred with lying lips, and he that uttereth a slander, is a fool."

Pretty close.
Yeah if you are living in 1605. I am reading all about James VI or I as you will have it. His mother Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots and dowager Queen of France was a devout Catholic, as was his wife who converted to Catholicism although was educated as a Lutheran.

Anne of Denmark had tried to come to Scotland but the North sea was too tempestuous and she ended up in Norway so James decided to sail to Norway with 300 men.

In October he was again informed that the Danes were staying in Norway for the winter, afraid of the autumn seas. James must have thought “weather be damned” because he himself, along with three-hundred men, set out for Norway. Upon arrival he had to travel some distance over land to meet his bride but upon reaching her dwelling-place presented himself to her “in boots and all” and kissed her, in the Scottish fashion. It must have been a great shock to her, such showings of affection were, at the Danish court, passed in private and only after the wedding. Although, other sources do claim that she was wildly in love with him, having herself embroidered shirts for him back home, so maybe the kiss wasn’t quite so unwelcome, though it shocked her mother and sister, and the rest of the Danish delegation.

They were formally married the 23rd of November, at the Old Bishop’s Palace in Oslo. “With all the splendour possible at the time and place” probably means that the wedding party was slightly subdued. It is unclear whether it was before or after the wedding ceremony, but as a precaution against future storms James ordered the burning of up to ten witches that he believed had caused the storms that made it impossible for Anne to meet her husband in Norway.

https://historiful.wordpress.com/2010/12/12/anne-of-denmark/

Yes indeed, what have you to say of this King James now?

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
29 Nov 15

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Yeah if you are living in 1605. I am reading all about James VI or I as you will have it. His mother Mary Stuart, Queen of Scots and dowager Queen of France was a devout Catholic, as was his wife who converted to Catholicism although was educated as a Lutheran.

Anne of Denmark had tried to come to Scotland but the North sea was too tempestuous ...[text shortened]... ress.com/2010/12/12/anne-of-denmark/

Yes indeed, what have you to say of this King James now?
No, not only if you are living in 1605. All you have to have to understand it is a brain educated beyond the sixth grade.

As far as the politics of a tiny nation goes, King James is just the name of the translation, not an endorsement. Get a grip.

rc

Moves
29 Nov 15
3 edits

Originally posted by Suzianne
No, not only if you are living in 1605. All you have to have to understand it is a brain educated beyond the sixth grade.

As far as the politics of a tiny nation goes, King James is just the name of the translation, not an endorsement. Get a grip.
here is the foreword to your cherished Bible,

To the most high and mightie Prince, James by the grace of God King of Great Britaine, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, &c. The translators of The Bible, wish Grace, Mercie, and Peace, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Great and manifold were the blessings (most dread Soveraigne) which Almighty GOD, the Father of all Mercies, bestowed upon us the people of ENGLAND, when first he sent your Majesties Royall person to rule and raigne over us

Now if thats not more bull than a herd of Texan longhorns then I don't know what is. King James just the name of the translation? clearly the translators thought otherwise and in fact they see it as a divine directive from God that this monster was sent to rule them. Clearly your translators were suck ups to a superlative degree.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
29 Nov 15
1 edit

Originally posted by Rajk999
We all know that getting involved with Christmas is one of the 141 things that you cannot do. Here is a complete list of the things that JWs cannot do:

71.Celebrate Christmas – Why?
72.Celebrate New Years Eve – Why?
73.Celebrate Easter – Why?
74.Celebrate Mother’s Day – Why?
75.Celebrate Father’s Day
76.Celebrate birthdays – Why?
77.Celebrate Thanks ...[text shortened]... ath of Jesus – Why?

124.Believe in good luck or say things such as ‘Good luck to you’. Why?
I think these make sense, at least within the logic the JW's use. Christmas is a Pagan festival subborned by the Roman Church over 1,000 years ago to facilitate the conversion of the Pagans. Similarly All Hallow's eve, that was the Pagan new year, so I can see why the JW's disavow it. Hannukah is an odd one to have in the list, since I don't know of a Christian group that celebrates it.

Things like Veteran's day comemorate war so they aren't going to want to celebrate that. Given their anti-state participation they're not going to celebrate Independence Day.

If they have a system of belief where God ordains everything then "luck" doesn't exist, only God's will. So the form of words "Good luck" in their minds would be to deny God's control over the fates of men.

I don't think they deserve criticism for refusing to celebrate these things, it's all a little dour, but I think valid criticisms of JW's lie elsewhere.