Christianity based on teachings of Jesus?

Christianity based on teachings of Jesus?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
yeah that's right, so you have. Perhaps you can provide any other book from antiquity which has as diverse a selection of authors and covers a similar period of time and still manages to remain harmonious. Perhaps you can provide any other book which has such effective hygiene and dietary laws, in fact, if i am not mistaken, it was not until the Cr ...[text shortened]... yet there it was, in the Bible, for thousands of years prior. Yeah that's right, so you did.
Give Hippocrates a whirl why don't you?

rc

Moves
02 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Give Hippocrates a whirl why don't you?
Shall we relate some interesting Greek medicinal practices, I was reading it only the other day with my kid in the Horrible histories series.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Feb 13

Shall we relate some interesting Greek medicinal practices, I was reading it only the other day with my kid in the Horrible histories series.
No let's look at some interesting biblical advice instead. How about Ezekiel 4:12? Mmmm, healthy. Or we could consider the cure for leprosy from Leviticus...

rc

Moves
02 Feb 13

No let's look at some interesting biblical advice instead. How about Ezekiel 4:12? Mmmm, healthy. Or we could consider the cure for leprosy from Leviticus...
another epic FAIL, that was not the normal practice it was used as a prophetic drama, perhaps you would like to relate what was usually done with human excrement? hmmm, now that you have brought it up?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Feb 13

another epic FAIL, that was not the normal practice it was used as a prophetic drama, perhaps you would like to relate what was usually done with human excrement? hmmm, now that you have brought it up?
No I'm not really interested in your blind alleys. The fact is there is far more good information regarding diet and health in the writings of Hippocrates than in the bible.

So why would a supposedly rational man such as yourself buy into the 'divinely inspired' nonsense?

rc

Moves
02 Feb 13

No I'm not really interested in your blind alleys. The fact is there is far more good information regarding diet and health in the writings of Hippocrates than in the bible.

So why would a supposedly rational man such as yourself buy into the 'divinely inspired' nonsense?
so you produce a complete anomaly and when called out upon it, you resort to this, bwhahahah, sure thing, another epic fail, the hygiene and dietary laws are not easily explained in any other terms.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 13

Yeah, like leeches and trepanning? I'm glad science is a bit further along than that these days.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Feb 13

so you produce a complete anomaly and when called out upon it, you resort to this, bwhahahah, sure thing, another epic fail, the hygiene and dietary laws are not easily explained in any other terms.
So you think Hippocrates was divinely inspired too? And going back to your god-given scripture, what's the problem with camel meat? And why does god think hares chew the cud? And why does he allow chickens? They scavenge among and eat dung you know. Plus they're usually riddled with salmonella and listeria. And didn't you previously argue that the advice and strictures from the old testament were wiped away by the 'new covenant' anyway? Crikey, I hope you supplement your hygiene and dietary laws with advice from a more reputable source such as oooh maybe the ancient greeks or romans.

I dunno, you crazy people are hard to have a rational discussion with...

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Yeah, like leeches and trepanning? I'm glad science is a bit further along than that these days.
Actually there are current lines of research into benefits of phlebotomy, so maybe the leeches are a good thing. Probably more useful than the hole-in-the-head anyway!

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 13

Actually there are current lines of research into benefits of phlebotomy, so maybe the leeches are a good thing. Probably more useful than the hole-in-the-head anyway!
Not to mention research into using maggots to eat away dead flesh to contain infection.

But doing this sort of thing without the research to back it up still seems rather dangerous.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Feb 13

Originally posted by Suzianne
Not to mention research into using maggots to eat away dead flesh to contain infection.

But doing this sort of thing without the research to back it up still seems rather dangerous.
Oh the maggots is more than research, it's regularly practiced - check these guys out:

http://www.monarchlabs.com/

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
02 Feb 13

Oh the maggots is more than research, it's regularly practiced - check these guys out:

http://www.monarchlabs.com/
Yeah, I ran across this on 60 Minutes or Nova or something. Fascinating.

rc

Moves
02 Feb 13
2 edits

So you think Hippocrates was divinely inspired too? And going back to your god-given scripture, what's the problem with camel meat? And why does god think hares chew the cud? And why does he allow chickens? They scavenge among and eat dung you know. Plus they're usually riddled with salmonella and listeria. And didn't you previously argue that the ad eeks or romans.

I dunno, you crazy people are hard to have a rational discussion with...
Hippocrates thought that bleeding was a cure, any reason why we should assign it to divine inspiration? He tested for lung disease by shaking the patient and listening for splashing inside? He tested vomit, ear wax, tears, phlegm, urine and infected wounds by tasting, again, why should we assign divine inspiration to such clearly unhygienic and dangerous practices? Yeah i can see the similarity with the Bibles reliable advice for quarantine, pity that you cannot bring yourself to acknowledge its greatness.

Hippo and his followers also practised cutting into the skull to drain off fluids to the brain, horrible histories, the groovy greeks, p.94,

yeah why don't we give Hippo a whirl?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
02 Feb 13

Hippocrates thought that bleeding was a cure, any reason why we should assign it to divine inspiration? He tested for lung disease by shaking the patient and listening for splashing inside? He tested vomit, ear wax, tears, phlegm, urine and infected wounds by tasting, again, why should we assign divine inspiration to such clearly unhygienic and dan ...[text shortened]... e brain, horrible histories, the groovy greeks, p.94,

yeah why don't we give Hippo a whirl?
There are sixty books in the Hippocratic collection. If one couldn't find a few bits of dodgy advice it would be truly astonishing. He's still known as the father of modern medicine, the bulk of his advice on hygiene and diet is still better than that in the bible, and you're still ignoring my previous post on the shortcomings of your scripture. Camels? Chickens? Cud-chewing goats? New covenant? But then, that's your discussion technique isn't it? Obfuscation, distraction, avoidance and mud-slinging. You've not resorted to insult yet though, so that's something.

rc

Moves
02 Feb 13
2 edits

There are sixty books in the Hippocratic collection. If one couldn't find a few bits of dodgy advice it would be truly astonishing. He's still known as the father of modern medicine, the bulk of his advice on hygiene and diet is still better than that in the bible, and you're still ignoring my previous post on the shortcomings of your scripture. Came voidance and mud-slinging. You've not resorted to insult yet though, so that's something.
Why do I hear the sound of Charlie Browns teacher, weird, kind of like a whap whap whaaa, muted trumpet sound.