Christianity based on teachings of Jesus?

Christianity based on teachings of Jesus?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
31 Jan 13

From a poster on another thread:

Christianity is based upon the teachings of Christ, a Christian is one who adopts and applies those teachings.

From what I've seen, Christianity is based upon the teachings of the Bible, on the whole, rather than upon the teachings of Jesus. For that matter, the basic tenets of Christianity seem to be based much more upon the teachings of Paul and his followers rather than the teachings of Jesus.

Seems like Christians often make statements like the one quoted above. What's the reason for this when it's clearly not true.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
31 Jan 13

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Christianity is based upon the teachings of Christ, a Christian is one who adopts and applies those teachings.

From what I've seen, Christianity is based upon the teachings of the Bible, on the whole, rather than upon the teachings of Jesus. For that matter, the basic tenets of Christianity seem to be b ...[text shortened]... statements like the one quoted above. What's the reason for this when it's clearly not true.
But where did Paul learn what he wrote?

T

Moves
31 Jan 13
8 edits

Originally posted by galveston75
But where did Paul learn what he wrote?
Many of the teachings of Paul do not reflect the teachings of Jesus. For example, Jesus did not teach that man is incapable of stopping from committing sin, but from what I gather, many people believe that Paul teaches them that. It is easy to cite many more examples.

For the most part, it seems that Christians quote Paul, the OT and others much more than they quote Jesus. This indicates that it is not the teachings of Jesus that is the basis of their beliefs and is not the teachings that they actually "adopt and apply".

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
31 Jan 13

Many of the teachings of Paul do not reflect the teachings of Jesus. For example, Jesus did not teach that man is incapable of stopping from committing sin, but from what I gather, many people believe that Paul teaches them that. It is easy to cite many more examples.

For the most part, it seems that Christians quote Paul, the OT and others much more ...[text shortened]... t is the basis of their beliefs and is not the teachings that they actually "adopt and apply".
I'd like to hear more examples if you can?

T

Moves
31 Jan 13
2 edits

Originally posted by galveston75
I'd like to hear more examples if you can?
Are you kidding? I suggest you read the teachings of Jesus and then read the teachings of Paul.

You'll want to pay particular attention when Jesus teaches time and again the importance of following HIS word (in case you need it spelled out for you, that does not include the word of Paul).

Any chance you might actually address the topic of this thread?

Cape Town

Moves
01 Feb 13

Seems like Christians often make statements like the one quoted above. What's the reason for this when it's clearly not true.
You have to remember that theists in general believe and preach things that are clearly not true. (clear to us atheists anyway). So you should be asking the more general question.

F

Moves
01 Feb 13
1 edit

Welcome back twhitehead!

Cape Town

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
Welcome back twhitehead!
Thank you. I took a break from RHP while I was in Zambia over Christmas, and have this year decided to generally cut down on my time spent here.

rc

Moves
01 Feb 13

Are you kidding? I suggest you read the teachings of Jesus and then read the teachings of Paul.

You'll want to pay particular attention when Jesus teaches time and again the importance of following HIS word (in case you need it spelled out for you, that does not include the word of Paul).

no he is not joking, where is your evidence that Pauls teachings are incongruous with those of the Christ and yo are quite wrong there is no mention in the text of following the teaching of Christ exclusively while ignoring all other Biblical principles, such a view leads to a distorted perspective.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
Thank you. I took a break from RHP while I was in Zambia over Christmas, and have this year decided to generally cut down on my time spent here.
That is a good New Year's decision. I should do the same, I think.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
01 Feb 13

From what I've seen, Christianity is based upon the teachings of the Bible, on the whole, rather than upon the teachings of Jesus. For that matter, the basic tenets of Christianity seem to be b ...[text shortened]... statements like the one quoted above. What's the reason for this when it's clearly not true.
In order to fully understand what is taught, several things are first required.

Who?
Said what?
To whom?
How was it conveyed?
Where?
When?
Why?

If any part of these requirements are missing, the cake will end up tasting like something other--- usually not pleasant.

The sayings of the Lord Jesus Christ are so often misconstrued, misapplied and generally misunderstood, as to render them nearly useless for most applications.
That is not to say they ought to be discarded, but for the timid, Christianity is made more palatable with Paul and the other apostles as the filter.
Amazingly, even with such a qualified filter as Paul, people still bungle the hell out of the messages!
For the literalist who eschews the writings of the apostles and determines to live strictly by the words of the Lord Jesus Christ, there awaits a calming, padded cell and adequate caregiving--- assuming such a person makes it out alive, of course.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
In order to fully understand what is taught, several things are first required.

Who?
Said what?
To whom?
How was it conveyed?
Where?
When?
Why?

If any part of these requirements are missing, the cake will end up tasting like something other--- usually not pleasant.

The sayings of the Lord Jesus Christ are so often misconstrued, misapplied ...[text shortened]... ng, padded cell and adequate caregiving--- assuming such a person makes it out alive, of course.
Many of the most educated teachers of Judaism of the time could not understand the teachings of Jesus and even the disciples of Jesus had a hard time understanding all His messages. So are we expected to be any different. We can only expect to understand in part, some a little more and some a little less.

T

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by twhitehead
You have to remember that theists in general believe and preach things that are clearly not true. (clear to us atheists anyway). So you should be asking the more general question.
That's not what this thread is about. If you'd like to see an answer to the "more general question" then start another thread.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
01 Feb 13

Lol. I believe I am addressing the thread.

We read in the bible what Jesus said only on a small level of what he no doubt spoke to these men who followed him.
There were many, many hours of conversation on many things that they no doubt had in their many hours of travel and associations with each other.
Not ever word spoken between them was written down.
And these many thousands of hours of discussions no doubt had deeper explinations to teach them his thoughts and these would have been passed along to ones such as Paul who would have written down these deeper explinations and thoughts of Jesus.

T

Moves
01 Feb 13
1 edit

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
no he is not joking, where is your evidence that Pauls teachings are incongruous with those of the Christ and yo are quite wrong there is no mention in the text of following the teaching of Christ exclusively while ignoring all other Biblical principles, such a view leads to a distorted perspective.
If G75 is not joking then he can address the example I gave in my second post.

Beyond that, it's clear that Paul taught many things that were not taught by Jesus. Even a cursory reading of the teachings of Jesus and the teachings of Paul reveals this.

such a view leads to a distorted perspective.

The view can only be viewed as 'distorted' if one believe that Christianity is based on the teachings of the Bible as a whole.

The topic is of this thread is that Christians often claim that Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus and that a Christian is one who adopts and applies those teachings even when it's apparent that their faith is based upon the teachings of the Bible as a whole. Why do you think they make this false claim?