Christianity based on teachings of Jesus?

Christianity based on teachings of Jesus?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by galveston75
Lol. I believe I am addressing the thread.

We read in the bible what Jesus said only on a small level of what he no doubt spoke to these men who followed him.
There were many, many hours of conversation on many things that they no doubt had in their many hours of travel and associations with each other.
Not ever word spoken between them was writt ...[text shortened]... o ones such as Paul who would have written down these deeper explinations and thoughts of Jesus.
Do you believe that Revelation was Jesus taking to someone in a dream? If so, why?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
Do you believe that Revelation was Jesus taking to someone in a dream? If so, why?
The entire Bible was inspired by God, Jehovah. Jesus did not direct the writing of the Bible.

T

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
In order to fully understand what is taught, several things are first required.

Who?
Said what?
To whom?
How was it conveyed?
Where?
When?
Why?

If any part of these requirements are missing, the cake will end up tasting like something other--- usually not pleasant.

The sayings of the Lord Jesus Christ are so often misconstrued, misapplied ...[text shortened]... ng, padded cell and adequate caregiving--- assuming such a person makes it out alive, of course.
Seems like you agree that the claim quoted in the OP is false.

Care to answer the question given in the OP?
Seems like Christians often make statements like the one quoted above. What's the reason for this when it's clearly not true?

Moves
01 Feb 13

But where did Paul learn what he wrote?
he learnt the same way homer learnt the illiad.

F

Moves
01 Feb 13

The entire Bible was inspired by God, Jehovah. Jesus did not direct the writing of the Bible.
So you say, but why do you believe Revelation was Jesus taking to someone in a dream? What is your justification for holding that belief?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
So you say, but why do you believe Revelation was Jesus taking to someone in a dream? What is your justification for holding that belief?
Jesus was not talking to anyone in a dream.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Seems like you agree that the claim quoted in the OP is false.

Care to answer the question given in the OP?
Seems like Christians often make statements like the one quoted above. What's the reason for this when it's clearly not true?
It's speculation, of course.

I would venture to say that most believers have un-examined faith, and (for them), the Lord Jesus Christ is thought of in iconic terms: He is the token that gets them entrance to the fun house, and they wouldn't recognize Him without His posse of angels around Him.

For others, there is a conscious disconnect between what He said and what the rest of the NT says... and they simply trust that Paul and the other writers have spun gold thread from the gold nuggets, even if they don't know how it was done.

Others still see that the Lord Jesus Christ said some of the hardest to understand things ever uttered by a man of flesh. They understand that some things were meant for some people in certain times, others for others at different times and only a few things for everyone at all times.
These folks also understand that the other writers in the NT speak almost exclusively to those who are in the Church Age, informed as they were by the Holy Spirit to convey the mystery doctrine for this esteemed group of believers.
This doesn't make them any more or any less Christian for getting their cues from the apostles; they're simply following protocol.

F

Moves
01 Feb 13

Jesus was not talking to anyone in a dream.
To whom is the content of Revelation attributed to?

T

Moves
01 Feb 13
1 edit

Lol. I believe I am addressing the thread.

We read in the bible what Jesus said only on a small level of what he no doubt spoke to these men who followed him.
There were many, many hours of conversation on many things that they no doubt had in their many hours of travel and associations with each other.
Not ever word spoken between them was writt ...[text shortened]... o ones such as Paul who would have written down these deeper explinations and thoughts of Jesus.
Sounds like wild speculation.

What isn't speculative is that Jesus emphasized the importance of HIS words. For example:
John 14
23Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our abode with him. 24“He who does not love Me does not keep My words; and the word which you hear is not Mine, but the Father’s who sent Me.

Jesus explicitly states that it is HIS words that need to be kept.

If Paul had access to words of Jesus that were not quoted elsewhere in the Bible, then they should have been quoted. Why wouldn't Paul have quoted Jesus given the emphasis Jesus gives to HIS words?

T

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by FreakyKBH
It's speculation, of course.

I would venture to say that most believers have un-examined faith, and (for them), the Lord Jesus Christ is thought of in iconic terms: He is the token that gets them entrance to the fun house, and they wouldn't recognize Him without His posse of angels around Him.

For others, there is a conscious disconnect between what ...[text shortened]... less Christian for getting their cues from the apostles; they're simply following protocol.
But why make the claim?
Christianity is based upon the teachings of Christ, a Christian is one who adopts and applies those teachings.

Why not just acknowledge that "Christianity is based upon the teachings [of the Bible on the whole], a Christian is one who adopts and applies those teachings"?

Beyond that, why don't they just acknowledge that "Christianity is based upon [various subsets and/or extrapolations of] the teachings [of the Bible on the whole], a Christian is one who adopts and applies [one of the subsets and/or extrapolations of] those teachings.
"?

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by FMF
To whom is the content of Revelation attributed to?
I already answered this in my previous post. Here is my answer again. Jehovah God was the author of the bible which would include Revelation.
Jesus, Jehovah's son was not the author of the Bible.

F

Moves
01 Feb 13

I already answered this in my previous post. Here is my answer again. Jehovah God was the author of the bible which would include Revelation.
Jesus, Jehovah's son was not the author of the Bible.
The claim that Revelation is "the testimony of Jesus Christ" is mentioned repeatedly at the beginning of Revelation.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
01 Feb 13

That's a pretty crazy thing to believe.

rc

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
That's a pretty crazy thing to believe.
why is it crazy? Christ stated that he did nothing of his own initiative.

F

Moves
01 Feb 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
why is it crazy? Christ stated that he did nothing of his own initiative.
Is Revelation "the testimony of Jesus Christ" as the book itself states?