"Christian" Trump supporters

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
04 Oct 18

@tom-wolsey said
The choice Christians had were (a) Vote for a scoundrel with some policies we support, or (b) vote for a scoundrel who is openly hostile to anything Christian.
Sounds like an excuse, frankly.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
04 Oct 18

@tom-wolsey said
Most Conservative Christians see some level of value in Trump's positions on

Abortion
The LGBTQP agenda and special interest groups
Tax rates
Strong borders
The threat of radical Islam
The size of government and government intervention in our personal lives
The need to diminish the power and presence of career status quo crony politicans (a.k.a. "the swamp"😉
The ...[text shortened]... success
Personal liberty
Certain international and diplomatic policies
Country and citizens first
how can you use the term Conservative Christian in the same sentence , an oxymoron for sure.

T

Moves
04 Oct 18
2 edits

@suzianne said
Sounds like an excuse, frankly.
Exactly.

As I wrote earlier:
If it were primarily about stopping women from having abortions, there were any number Republican presidential candidates available who had much stronger anti-abortion stances...

If in fact it were only about the abortion issue, then they would denounce Trump, his behavior and the majority of his policies. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

Of course if it were only about the abortion issue, they would also denounce the majority of the policies of the Republican party. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

[People] speak of "Christian values" as if they were the values espoused by Christ. As evidenced by the political climate in the US, "Christian values" have drifted so far from the values espoused by Christ so as to be antithetical to them.

Conservative Christians misuse the Bible as a weapon to further their own values. They misuse the Bible to create God in their own image.

K

Germany

Moves
04 Oct 18

@fmf said
What's it all about?

Is it just about stopping women from having abortions?

Is that all it is, or is there some other reason for "Christian" fealty to Trump?
Throughout most of human history, people lived in small tribes, and as such people have an innate loyalty towards people they feel as belonging to their tribe (modern civilization is extremely young, biologically speaking). The political system of the United States fosters precisely such a tribal mentality, even if not intentionally so. The resulting urge towards conformism to the tribal leaders' wishes is so strong that people will generally prefer their tribe's leader over a rival tribe's leader, even if "their" leader is a demented reality TV star.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
05 Oct 18

@thinkofone said
Exactly.

As I wrote earlier:
[quote]If it were primarily about stopping women from having abortions, there were any number Republican presidential candidates available who had much stronger anti-abortion stances...

If in fact it were only about the abortion issue, then they would denounce Trump, his behavior and the majority of his policies. But of course they don't ...[text shortened]... ble as a weapon to further their own values. They misuse the Bible to create God in their own image.
I fully agree with this.

I have a real problem imagining Jesus as a Trump supporter.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Oct 18

You think Jesus would place any one of us above another, wouldn't we all be just
a bunch of sinners? What I do know is that there are scriptures on how we are to
treat those in authority over us.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Oct 18

@wittywonka said
Why does my criticism of many (certainly not all) churches for the way they read the Bible without regard for historical context, translational accuracy, or theological nuance lead you to believe that I have a "secular" view of the Church?
You left out the most important part of being a Christian.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
05 Oct 18

@thinkofone said
Conservative Christians misuse the Bible as a weapon to further their own values. They misuse the Bible to create God in their own image.
Do you think you “misuse the bible” to “further your own values” when you promote “the words of Jesus” selectively, and talk about the “gospel of Jesus” and yet won’t discuss what this “gospel”, this good news, actually is?

S. Korea

Moves
05 Oct 18

@kazetnagorra said
Throughout most of human history, people lived in small tribes, and as such people have an innate loyalty towards people they feel as belonging to their tribe (modern civilization is extremely young, biologically speaking). The political system of the United States fosters precisely such a tribal mentality, even if not intentionally so. The resulting urge towards conform ...[text shortened]... ir tribe's leader over a rival tribe's leader, even if "their" leader is a demented reality TV star.
I find this to be an interesting sentiment...

I am not sure what to say about it.

Let me just ask then...

How does your German system differ?

S. Korea

Moves
05 Oct 18

@badradger said
how can you use the term Conservative Christian in the same sentence , an oxymoron for sure.
How so?

K

Germany

Moves
05 Oct 18

@philokalia said
I find this to be an interesting sentiment...

I am not sure what to say about it.

Let me just ask then...

How does your German system differ?
It is not "my" system, but anyway...

Multi-party systems differ in that people are encouraged to think more carefully about their vote. Having multiple parties generally assures that if you don't like a certain party, there will be another one not too different, as opposed to a two-party system where the opposing party is viewed as radically different. Hence, the tribal mentality, while not completely eliminated, is somewhat suppressed, and political representatives are a more faithful reflection of the political views of the electorate.

Secret RHP coder

on the payroll

Moves
05 Oct 18

@fmf said
What's it all about?

Is it just about stopping women from having abortions?

Is that all it is, or is there some other reason for "Christian" fealty to Trump?
My cousin-in-law voted for Trump precisely because of the "wedge issue" of abortion ... the same hoped Trump would get impeached within 1 month.

w

Moves
05 Oct 18

@bigdoggproblem said
My cousin-in-law voted for Trump precisely because of the "wedge issue" of abortion ... the same hoped Trump would get impeached within 1 month.
If it were not for the entire DNC using abortion as one of the pillars of their foundation, Trump more than likely would not be President.

Funny that.

T

Moves
05 Oct 18

@whodey said
If it were not for the entire DNC using abortion as one of the pillars of their foundation, Trump more than likely would not be President.

Funny that.
If the issue were primarily about stopping women from having abortions as many Christians try to pretend, Trump would never had made it out of the primary since there were any number Republican presidential candidates available who had much stronger anti-abortion stances.

Funny that.

If in fact it were only about the abortion issue, then they would denounce Trump, his behavior and the majority of his policies. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

Of course if it were only about the abortion issue, they would also denounce the majority of the policies of the Republican party. But of course they don't. People like people like themselves.

[People] speak of "Christian values" as if they were the values espoused by Christ. As evidenced by the political climate in the US, "Christian values" have drifted so far from the values espoused by Christ so as to be antithetical to them.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
05 Oct 18

@thinkofone said
If the issue were primarily about stopping women from having abortions as many Christians try to pretend, Trump would never had made it out of the primary since there were any number Republican presidential candidates available who had much stronger anti-abortion stances.

Funny that.

If in fact it were only about the abortion issue, then they would denounce Trump, hi ...[text shortened]... ian values" have drifted so far from the values espoused by Christ so as to be antithetical to them.
Trump was not my first pick, second pick, even sixth pick. I was never going to vote
for Hillary, mainly because I didn't trust her, I think she had done so many things
wrong and gotten away with them, because I felt she was protected by those in
power.

I think the thing that separated Trump from the rest, was he wasn't one of the
good ole boys in the Republican party. He was/is vulgar with a colorful mouth,
but actually said what he meant. This was not well received by many, but enough
to win an election.

I think outside of the personal attacks which are non-stop 24/7 from most of the
major news outlets, his appeal is getting stronger, when looking at jobless
numbers for Women, Black, and Hispanics they are at record lows. The personal
attacks are non-stop now, I don't even hear them any more like I did at the very
beginning, now they just blend into a long procession of hate Trump over and
over, there is always some new reason to hate Trump, it is near pathological.

It wouldn't be so bad, except that things that other Presidents gotten away with
and were defended for, are worse than the things Trump has said and done, in my
opinion. Take Clinton for example, he had a trail of women who accused him of
assaulting them, but he was given a pass, and defended by a lot of people who are
mad at Trump. With some of these same people are now, calling for blood!