Case for Christ (Not Strobel)

Case for Christ (Not Strobel)

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
09 Mar 05
1 edit

To not want to be with God is to want eternal torment. They're synonymous.

Darfius,

Are you seriously stating that everybody who doesn't wish to share your view of God (the correct one, of course) WISHES to go to hell, a place of eternal torment, because that IS THE SAME THING AS not wishing to share your view of God?

Are you seriously stating that my dread of going to hell there is an illusion, and I am truly WISHING for it, WANTING it, and WELCOMING the idea of it?

🙂

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
09 Mar 05

Originally posted by Darfius
On the contrary, His infinite love shows in His constant need to give us a choice. They chose to have an imperfect world. He granted their choice.
That is biblically incorrect Darfius. Adam and Eve wanted to eat a forbidden fruit, not to live in an imperfect world.

Cite a passage from the bible where it shows that Adam an Eve wanted to live outside paradise. Bet you can't.

You can't because God never told them that an imperfect world would be the result of their disobedience. Given that he didn't inform them, how could they have wished for it?

Here is your general error, stated formally. Someone wishes for X. However, X leads to Y. Therefore, they wanted Y, because X and Y are the same thing.

As I stated earlier, if X leads to Y, it can't be the same as Y, because the statement X causes X, or Y causes Y, is nonsensical.

The Apologist

Moves
09 Mar 05

Originally posted by Pawnokeyhole
[b]
To not want to be with God is to want eternal torment. They're synonymous.

Darfius,

Are you seriously stating that everybody who doesn't wish to share your view of God (the correct one, of course) WISHES to go to hell, a place of eternal torment, because that IS THE SAME AS not wishing to share your view of God?

Are you seriously ...[text shortened]... e is an illusion, and I am truly WISHING for it, WANTING it, and WELCOMING the idea of it?

🙂[/b]
If it were only my view, it would be illogical.

However, if my view is correct (have you exhaustively studied it and come to a different conclusion? Have you asked God to come into your life to test the claim that He will?) then yes, I am saying you are welcoming hell, since you know it is the only other option to accept Christ.

The Apologist

Moves
09 Mar 05

That is biblically incorrect Darfius. Adam and Eve wanted to eat a forbidden fruit, not to live in an imperfect world.

Cite a passage from the bible where it shows that Adam an Eve wanted to live outside paradise. Bet you can't.

You can't because God never told them that an imperfect world would be the result of their disobedience. Given that h ...[text shortened]... Y, it can't be the same as Y, because the statement X causes X, or Y causes Y, is nonsensical.
You're right, He said they would die. Are you suggested death is perfect?

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
09 Mar 05

If it were only my view, it would be illogical.

However, if my view is correct (have you exhaustively studied it and come to a different conclusion? Have you asked God to come into your life to test the claim that He will?) then yes, I am saying you are welcoming hell, since you know it is the only other option to accept Christ.
Well, actually, I don't know that the only option to going to hell is to accept Christ.

Not only do I not know it, I don't believe it.

But that's beside the point really. You are still falling victim to the logical fallacy I have outlined.

I mean logical in the strict sense of "deductively unsound", not in the loose sense of "rationally, empirically, or pragmatically unjustified" that you use in your last post.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
09 Mar 05
1 edit

You're right, He said they would die. Are you suggested death is perfect?
Well, I guess death does imply an imperfect world.

That still wouldn't mean that they wished to die, or live in an imperfect world, which is my main point. The serpent led them to suspect that they would not die.

The Apologist

Moves
09 Mar 05
1 edit

Well, I guess death does imply an imperfect world.

That still wouldn't mean that they wished to die, or live in an imperfect world, which is my main point. The serpent led them to suspect that they would not die.
Would you have believed the serpent or God?

The Apologist

Moves
09 Mar 05

Well, actually, I don't know that the only option to going to hell is to accept Christ.

Not only do I not know it, I don't believe it.

But that's beside the point really. You are still falling victim to the logical fallacy I have outlined.

I mean logical in the strict sense of "deductively unsound", not in the loose sense of "rationally, empirically, or pragmatically unjustified" that you use in your last post.
Yes, you know that's the only other option because I just told you, and because it says so in the Bible.

In other words, not believing and not knowing are two different things.

Will you be completely surprised if you wake up in hell after you die? Or will a small piece of you be prepared?

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
09 Mar 05

Would you have believed the serpent or God?
I don't think I would believe anything a talking snake told me, unless he told me I was using hallucinogens.

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
09 Mar 05
1 edit

Yes, you know that's the only other option because I just told you, and because it says so in the Bible.

In other words, not believing and not knowing are two different things.

Will you be completely surprised if you wake up in hell after you die? Or will a small piece of you be prepared?
No Darfius,

I don't think that because you told me, or because the bible says so, that I know.

Nor, indeed, do you know. I know you think you know, but I think you don't know (though you probably know I think your don't know). We endorse diverging epistemological criteria.

But the only fact that is relevant here to our previous discussion is the fact that I think I don't know.

More specifically, given that I don't think I am going to hell, there is no way on that you can plausibly argue, without falling into the incoherence I spelled out multiple times, that I want to go to hell, even if I really do go to hell as a result.

The Apologist

Moves
09 Mar 05

I don't think I would believe anything a talking snake told me, unless he told me I was using hallucinogens.
Precisely. They weren't coerced. They chose to do it. Eve for power. Adam for love of Eve.

The Apologist

Moves
09 Mar 05

No Darfius,

I don't think that because you told me, or because the bible says so, that I know.

Nor, indeed, do you know. I know you think you know, but I think you don't know (though you probably know I think your don't know). We endorse diverging epistemological criteria.

But the only fact that is relevant here to our previous discussion is ...[text shortened]... elled out multiple times, that I want to go to hell, even if I really do go to hell as a result.
I don't think you understand the concept of hell. Hell is just the name for a place away from God completely.

Do you or do you not reject God?

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
09 Mar 05

Actually, I want to ask you a question I once asked Muslim fundamentlist, who thought I was going to hell as a result of too much freethinking.

(Note that he thinks you are going to hell and you think he is going to hell, and either one or both of you is going to be wrong.)

How do you feel personally about my going to hell? Do you think it is a good thing that God sends me there?

If you had a child, who later in life decided knowingly not to believe what you do about God, would it be a good thing that God sends him or her to hell?

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
09 Mar 05

Precisely. They weren't coerced. They chose to do it. Eve for power. Adam for love of Eve.

So, let me get this straight. Billions of OTHER people, including innocents, have had since to put up with an imperfect world filled with suffering because of God decided that if Adam and Eve freely chose eat some fruit of a tree he would make the world imperfect thereafter, even though He has, at any moment, the power to make the world perfect again?

Krackpot Kibitzer

Right behind you...

Moves
09 Mar 05

I don't think you understand the concept of hell. Hell is just the name for a place away from God completely.

Do you or do you not reject God?
Is hell, however you define it, the same thing as not accepting God, as you understand it, in the here and now?

This is what you said above, I believe.