Calling out ThinkOfOne

Calling out ThinkOfOne

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 19

I could be wrong about these things.

You wrong ?
What are "these things" ? Because it seems that you always cannot be wrong about many other things.
So what is the circumference of "these things" of which you humbly admit you could be wrong ?

Did you not give me two examples of the so-called imaginative linking to the Hebrew Bible by the NT authors
because you could be wrong about that ?

IF that was not one of the things you could be wrong about I don't see why you were so reluctant to provide two of your best examples of such linking.

"Its all that way" [paraphrased] seemed more like an excuse to not back up an assertion.

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
You wrong ?
What are "these things" ?
I could be wrong in my belief that Jesus is a historical figure.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 19
3 edits

FMF,

Jesus executed for sedition ?

Something caused the cult of supernatural personality to get going 2,000 years ago.

Yea.
For this post I'd be happy just to hear why your grand sedition starter refused to be forced to be the people's king.

"Then Jesus, knowing that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him King, withdrew again to the mountain, Himself alone." (John 6:15)

What happened to His eagerness to ferment a grand Roman Empire opposing sedition ?

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
Did you not give me two examples of the so-called imaginative linking to the Hebrew Bible by the NT authors
because you could be wrong about that ?
No, not two. All of them. All the supposed "prophetic links" that were incorporated into the Jesus story. Without exception. Could I be wrong about what I believe? Yes, of course, both of us could be wrong about what we believe when it comes to matters like these.

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
Jesus executed for sedition ?
Yes, I believe so.

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
"Then Jesus, knowing that they were about to come and take Him by force to make Him King, withdrew again to the mountain, Himself alone." (John 6:15)
This is part of creating the Jesus story.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 19
1 edit

@FMF

No, not two. All of them. All the supposed "prophetic links" that were incorporated into the Jesus story. Without exception.

Why did He refuse to be taken by force by the populace to be made their king ? (John 6:15)

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
What happened to His eagerness to ferment a grand Roman Empire opposing sedition ?
The perspective laid out in an account written decades after his death is one thing, but the perspective that really counts is the perspective of the people who executed him: the Romans.

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
Why did He refuse to be taken by force by the populace to be made their king ?
Who can know what actually happened?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 19

@FMF

So everything exemplary about Jesus Christ is part of the conspiracy to invent a myth ?

You DO take this personally, don't you ?
You are so sure that someone is out to deceive you.

So whatever there is striking about the level of fine morality about Jesus is the result of someone/s conspiring to deceive you?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
15 Jan 19
2 edits

FMF,

So crooked people invented a Jesus of the highest morality.

Those who wanted sedition against the Roman Imperialists invented a insurrectionist who said we should love our enemies?

So the Roman governor Pontius Pilate saying that he could find no fault in this "King of the Jews" - Jesus, was imagnitively concocted to make the seditionist difficult to accuse of sedition ?

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
@FMF

So everything exemplary about Jesus Christ is part of the conspiracy to invent a myth ?

You DO take this personally, don't you ?
You are so sure that someone is out to deceive you.

So whatever there is striking about the level of fine morality about Jesus is the result of someone/s conspiring to deceive you?
I believe he is a historical figure, but I could be wrong. I don't have any credible reason to believe in his divinity, though. "The level of fine morality about Jesus" depicted in the scriptures that the Christians wrote for themselves is a not surprising outcome of the centuries-long process of honing his hagiography/mythology. No, I don't take any of it "personally".

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
So crooked people invented a Jesus of the highest morality.
Crooked? Not necessarily. I have no doubt that all manner of emotions and motivations and other elements of human nature were in play: earnestness, hysteria, ambition, good-intentions, fervour, imagination, conjecture, melodrama, faulty memory, errors, omissions, assumptions, embellishments, fascination, zealotry, creativity and, yes, most likely deceit as well. Countless people, over many, many years. What's the upshot of 'survival of the fittest' when accounts of magical things are competing for the hearts and minds of potential subscribers?

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
Those who wanted sedition against the Roman Imperialists invented a insurrectionist who said we should love our enemies?
I think he was executed for sedition ~ or rabble-rousing, or some such ~ because it was the Romans who executed him and because the method was crucifixion.

F

Moves
15 Jan 19

@sonship said
So the Roman governor Pontius Pilate saying that he could find no fault in this "King of the Jews" - Jesus, was imagnitively concocted to make the seditionist difficult to accuse of sedition ?
Well, Jesus was going along, being a rabbi, drawing crowds, making enemies, and then he was dead. His admirers and followers had to come up with something.