1. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Mar '20 23:11
    @kellyjay said
    Who do you think Jesus is?
    The person in revelation who is described as overseeing in his presence the burning alive of billions of people?
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Mar '20 15:05
    @kellyjay said
    “If there was a controlling power outside the universe, it could not show itself to us as one of the facts inside the universe -no more than the architect of a house could actually be a wall or staircase or fireplace in that house. The only way in which we could expect it to show itself would be inside us as an influence or a command trying to get us to behave in a certain way. And that's just what we do find inside us.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Case for Christianity
    Just when I thought we'd heard the last of C.S. Lewis when GB stopped posting.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    12 Mar '20 15:10
    @kellyjay said
    I believe that you will see that he was referring to the house. Without an encounter with the builder/creator, you only see the work, not the builder/creator. You can read Tolkien and not find him in his writings.
    I find it an extremely bad analogy.

Any student of architecture (as I was, for a time) can easily see Frank Lloyd Wright in all of his creations.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    12 Mar '20 17:10
    @suzianne said

Any student of architecture (as I was, for a time) can easily see Frank Lloyd Wright in all of his creations.
    You can test for Frank Lloyd Wright or simply see patterns of his style?
  5. Subscriberhakima
    Illumination
    The Razor's Edge
    Moves
    12 Mar '20 18:33
    @kellyjay said
    You can test for Frank Lloyd Wright or simply see patterns of his style?
    No more than you can test for a divine creator...
  6. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    12 Mar '20 22:25
    @suzianne said

Or a painter from the painting. Especially those with more distinctive styles.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 00:12
    @suzianne said
    And yet you never once complained when GB quoted him....

Interesting.
  8. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 00:43
    @divegeester said
    And yet you never once complained when GB quoted him....

Interesting.
    Would it have had any effect?

Look, as it was, too many people on this forum put a target on his back. I was comfortable agreeing to disagree with him. There is a difference between disagreeing and making his presence here a kind of hell.
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 00:58
    @suzianne said
    Would it have had any effect?
    The effect might have been an interesting debate and discussion about the shortcomings of C.S. Lewis.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 01:00
    @suzianne said
    Look, as it was, too many people on this forum put a target on his back. I was comfortable agreeing to disagree with him.
    Why have you treated KellyJay's quoting of C.S. Lewis differently?
  11. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 02:15
    @bigdoggproblem said
    Oh, I see. I misread OP. My bad.

The example is still a little weird, since Christianity also wants us to listen to other apostles and prophets. Those guys aren't just "bits of the wall", are they?

I think Tolkein did well to leave religious allegory out of LOTR. Made it more of a "different" world. that being said, Tolkein was a devout Christian. It would be a mistake to judge him less sincere than Lewis because of this one artistic choice.
    With the exception of us in the universe since we were made in the image of God, there is a divine nature to us, fallen but there nonetheless. We can communicate with God in prayer, prompted to walk this way and not that. What we cannot do is look at the sky, the water, the earth, fire, stars, rocks, cows, rabbits, goats, trees, flowers and find God only His handy work.
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 02:17
    @hakima said
    No more than you can test for a divine creator...
    Our tests are limited to the playing in and with the universe itself, our seeking God personally since He is a personal God, is something beyond the realm of the material world.
  13. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 02:19
    @suzianne said
    I love Lewis.
    There something about him or some of the things he said you dislike?
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 02:47
    @kellyjay said
    I love Lewis.
    There something about him or some of the things he said you dislike?
    Well, you must have looked into the criticism of his writing on Christianity.

What did you find?

In your 10+ years here, criticism of his writing on Christianity has come up time and time again in detail, on threads where you were involved.

What did you think of that analysis?
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    13 Mar '20 02:53
    @kellyjay said
    Our tests are limited to the playing in and with the universe itself, our seeking God personally since He is a personal God, is something beyond the realm of the material world.
    All supernatural beings perceived and worshipped by humans are beyond the realm of the material world.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree