Brother Prince is gone - RIP

Brother Prince is gone - RIP

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
22 Apr 16

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Ok I was unaware.
How do you think Prince's lyrics ~ since he joined the JWs in 2001 ~ were seen by his fellow brothers at his local Kingdom Hall? If you reckon they would have been deemed appropriate and acceptable, I think it would be very interesting to hear you explain why

rc

Moves
22 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
How do you think Prince's lyrics ~ since he joined the JWs in 2001 ~ were seen by his fellow brothers at his local Kingdom Hall? If you reckon they would have been deemed appropriate and acceptable, I think it would be very interesting to hear you explain why
I have no idea what the brothers thought, sorry.

F

Moves
22 Apr 16

I have no idea what the brothers thought, sorry.
Would the elders have been able to exert any authority over him or do you think his fame made that difficult? Why was he not in danger of being disfellowshipped for not giving up his lyrics and video art? Your insight as a fellow brother would be interesting.

D

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

rc

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Would the elders have been able to exert any authority over him or do you think his fame made that difficult? Why was he not in danger of being disfellowshipped for not giving up his lyrics and video art? Your insight as a fellow brother would be interesting.
It depends, entertainment is a subjective matter, so is art and I really honestly don't know anything about his music other than I have read in the media. In a Guardian article I think in 2004? he states that he produced some albums that were influenced by the brothers and his new religion 'the rainbow children'? or something, but I was not a fan of his music so I could not say for sure. What he did prior to being a brother is of no consequence and he could not be held responsible for it for he was living by different set of principles so apart from that I could not say.

His fame could have been both a hindrance and a kind of advantage especially in the house to house ministry because people would be focusing on him personally rather than his message maybe, on the other hand it may have opened some doors for him that would be closed to others.

F

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

It depends, entertainment is a subjective matter, so is art and I really honestly don't know anything about his music other than I have read in the media. In a Guardian article I think in 2004? he states that he produced some albums that were influenced by the brothers and his new religion 'the rainbow children'? or something, but I was not a fan of ...[text shortened]... ible for it for he was living by different set of principles so apart from that I could not say.
The "Rainbow Children" came out in 2001. There were something in the region of 15 albums since then that are similar in many ways to his pre-2001 output. He also continued to perform his pre-2001 material in concert after joining the JWs. If you earned your living doing something akin to what Prince did, would you expect the elders at your Kingdom Hall to confront you about it?

rc

Moves
22 Apr 16
5 edits

Originally posted by FMF
The "Rainbow Children" came out in 2001. There were something in the region of 15 albums since then that are similar in many ways to his pre-2001 output. He also continued to perform his pre-2001 material after joining the JWs. If you earned your living doing something akin to what Prince did, would you expect the elders at your Kingdom Hall to confront you about it?
Confront him? no. First of all he would need to qualify to become a Jehovahs witnesses and to do that he would need to study the Bible and be able to answer questions on it. (people typically study from about six months to two sometimes three years depending on their aptitude for learning and personal circumstances). He would have been asked if there was anything that might hinder his ability to act as a representative of Jehovahs Witnesses (his lifestyle for example) and if there was anything (like he smoked tobacco, or took drugs) he would be helped to overcome it but I doubt the brothers would have pried very much into his personal affairs leaving it to his conscience whether his art and work brought any kind of reproach on his standing as a Witness.

Did you appreciate his music just out of interest?

F

Moves
22 Apr 16

I doubt the brothers would have pried very much into his personal affairs leaving it to his conscience whether his art and work brought any kind of reproach on his standing as a Witness.
So whether or not his lyrics and video art were consistent with JW principles and standards was completely up to him and simply none-of-their-business as far as his elders and his Kingdom Hall were concerned, is that what you mean?

rc

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
So whether or not his lyrics and video art were consistent with JW principles and standards was completely up to him and simply none-of-their-business as far as his elders and his Kingdom Hall were concerned, is that what you mean?
Well it depends on whether the content has any bearing on his ability to act as a representative of Jehovahs witnesses, whether it is contrary to Biblical standards. There is nothing wrong with making music videos, its what they contain.

F

Moves
22 Apr 16

Well it depends on whether the content has any bearing on his ability to act as a representative of Jehovahs witnesses, whether it is contrary to Biblical standards. There is nothing wrong with making music videos, its what they contain.
And whether or not it was "contrary to Biblical standards" was entirely his decision and none of the JW organisation's business? This is what you appeared to say in your previous post. They would have asked him but the decision about his own art would have been deemed to be among "his personal affairs", is that right?

F

Moves
22 Apr 16

Did you appreciate his music just out of interest?
Some of it yes. He was prolific and, perhaps, had a bit of an issue when it came to quality control. I probably have his whole catalogue and I think he was a brilliant song writer and arranger ~ and instrumentalist too. But I also thought a lot of his lyrics and videos ~ and his salacious obsession with sex and relentless objectification of women ~ detracted from his what he did.

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
23 Apr 16

Originally posted by FMF
Some of it yes. He was prolific and, perhaps, had a bit of an issue when it came to quality control. I probably have his whole catalogue and I think he was a brilliant song writer and arranger ~ and instrumentalist too. But I also thought a lot of his lyrics and videos ~ and his salacious obsession with sex and relentless objectification of women ~ detracted from his what he did.
A role-model Jehovah's Witness.

Cape Town

Moves
23 Apr 16

The post that was quoted here has been removed
I didn't miss your point nor disagree with it. I just thought it worth noting that a not particularly good looking Korean guy had managed to become popular world-wide with the combination of a catchy tune, a catchy silly dance, comedy and uniqueness.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by FMF
Ok, i never really understood the appeal to be honest. I think I did see Purple rain and wondered what all the fuss was about. I certainly would never have paid to go and listen to him in concert and if i had won tickets I think I would have given them away to someone that would appreciate them. Other people seem to really like his music though.

It would be interesting to note any changes in his music after he became a brother in 2001.

F

Moves
23 Apr 16

Ok, i never really understood the appeal to be honest. I think I did see Purple rain and wondered what all the fuss was about. I certainly would never have paid to go and listen to him in concert and if i had won tickets I think I would have given them away to someone that would appreciate them. Other people seem to really like his music though.

It would be interesting to note any changes in his music after he became a brother in 2001.
Do you assume that his post-2001 lyrics and video art are in accordance with "Biblical standards" and JW principles?