Brother Prince is gone - RIP

Brother Prince is gone - RIP

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infidel

Moves
22 Apr 16

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
Read my first post on this topic. It should give you some idea.
[b]For the most part, pop artists are in it for the money. Prince certainly made a lot of it.

So true. Not sure why so many seem to be ripping you.

Though pop performers ("artists" is a misnomer the vast majority of the time) are often lauded as "musical geniuses", for the most part they are instead "entertainment geniuses". It's really about the "show" (dance, lighting, pyrotechnics, etc.) rather than a demonstration of a deep understanding of music or instrumental virtuosity. LIke McDonald's, it's like so much pablum doled out to the masses.[/b]

This is your first post. You aren't explaining at all what makes a musical genius, at best you're trying to explain - albeit poorly - why people like Prince aren't musical geniuses.

So, what makes a musical genius?

T

Moves
22 Apr 16

Originally posted by Great King Rat
[b][b]For the most part, pop artists are in it for the money. Prince certainly made a lot of it.

Though pop performers ("artists" is a misnomer the vast majority of the time) are often lauded as "musical geniuses", for the most part they are instea ...[text shortened]... it poorly - why people like Prince aren't musical geniuses.

So, what makes a musical genius?[/b]
"... rather than a demonstration of a deep understanding of music or instrumental virtuosity."

Infidel

Moves
22 Apr 16

"... rather than a demonstration of a deep understanding of music or instrumental virtuosity."
Sooooooo... you want lectures?

T

Moves
22 Apr 16

Sooooooo... you want lectures?
What a completely illogical conclusion.

Infidel

Moves
22 Apr 16

What about this live performance?

Infidel

Moves
22 Apr 16

What a completely illogical conclusion.
No, rather what an entirely unclear explanation.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

What about this live performance? [youtube]ED8_xaxeiWk[/youtube]
Impressive drum kit....The guitar is echo tracked so you can get all kinds of effects live that way.

Look at K T Tunstall, Black Horse and the Cherry Tree, live, you can see what she does, which is all her:

Pretty impressive I thought.

T

Moves
22 Apr 16

No, rather what an entirely unclear explanation.
Would I be correct to assume that the link you provided in you previous post was as a " demonstration of a deep understanding of music or instrumental virtuosity"?

Seems like you figured it out.

Given the context in which it was written. seems like it would have been logical to dismiss out of hand the thought that I was speaking of "lectures" - especially the part about "a demonstration...of instrumental virtuosity".

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
22 Apr 16

[b][b]For the most part, pop artists are in it for the money. Prince certainly made a lot of it.

Though pop performers ("artists" is a misnomer the vast majority of the time) are often lauded as "musical geniuses", for the most part they are instea ...[text shortened]... it poorly - why people like Prince aren't musical geniuses.

So, what makes a musical genius?[/b]
One thing I think that defines genius, and this criteria shows in people like Andre Segovia: Do you start a whole school of similar music? Segovia and Prince both did I think anyway, I know Segovia did, I assume you know who Segovia is. How many imitators are there of a style, how did a person effect the next generation of musicians.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

No, it doesn't take "musical genius" to create popular music. For the most part what makes popular music popular is that it's easy to understand and easy to follow. In short, it's easy to digest (think pablum).
And it takes genius to create. There is a reason they make the big bucks. If it was easy, everyone would do it.

Do you similarly believe that it takes a culinary genius to create popular food? Was Ray Kroc a culinary genius?
I don't know who Ray Kroc is, but yes, it takes culinary genius (or natural selection, ie getting recipies from around the world and picking the ones that go down best) to create popular food.

An "entertainment genius", but I have no reason to believe that he was a "musical genius".
Not even the fact that he created a large collection of great music?

You keep removing the distinction I was making in order to try to make your argument. Do you think that valid?
The distinction is not as clear cut as you would like. Music is only good if it entertains. It is an entertainment.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
Impressive drum kit....The guitar is echo tracked so you can get all kinds of effects live that way.

Look at K T Tunstall, Black Horse and the Cherry Tree, live, you can see what she does, which is all her
She clearly has a guitar. It is not 'all her'.

T

Moves
22 Apr 16

Originally posted by sonhouse
One thing I think that defines genius, and this criteria shows in people like Andre Segovia: Do you start a whole school of similar music? Segovia and Prince both did I think anyway, I know Segovia did, I assume you know who Segovia is. How many imitators are there of a style, how did a person effect the next generation of musicians.
Here's a great quote on genius:

"When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him." - Jonathan Swift

T

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
She clearly has a guitar. It is not 'all her'.
Well, it's really not difficult to understand what sh meant by that comment.

But this is the level on which you seem to like to argue.

It also seems to be the level on which you view the arts if not the world, so I'll leave you to it.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Apr 16

Well, it's really not difficult to understand what sh meant by that comment.
Yes, it most certainly is, and I most certainly did. Did you understand what I meant by my comment?

But this is the level on which you seem to like to argue.
Yes, a bit too sophisticated for you apparently.

Since you missed it, sonhouse is partial to unmodified 'natural' guitars. He presumably believes that music made with an unmodified guitar is somehow harder to do, and presumably therefore more skilful. My point is that he is talking nonsense. Both artists have used the instruments available to them to create great music. One is not superior to the other just because of sonhouse's personal preference in music. If I was to create wonderful music solely with the use of a computer program and had no guitar skills whatsoever, I could still claim musical genius if my music was great.

Infidel

Moves
22 Apr 16
1 edit

Would I be correct to assume that the link you provided in you previous post was as a " demonstration of a deep understanding of music or instrumental virtuosity"?

Seems like you figured it out.

Given the context in which it was written. seems like it would have been logical to dismiss out of hand the thought that I was speaking of "lectures" - especially the part about "a demonstration...of instrumental virtuosity".
Did you look at the link?

And no, seeing how you wrote "demonstration of a deep understanding of music or instrumental virtuosity"? It is not at all logical to dismiss out of hand the thought you were talking about lectures.