Are Christians permitted to own slaves?

Are Christians permitted to own slaves?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Jan 13
1 edit

True Christians have no desire to own slaves, so the question is irrelevant. 😏

rc

Moves
24 Jan 13

Originally posted by RJHinds
I think you give too much credit to Paul. It is John that explains the 144,000. 😏
On the contrary Paul explains the significance of the whole temple arrangement.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
24 Jan 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
thanks but the scriptural details are somewhat self evident.
Evidently not, but I understand your reluctance to risk enlightenment should that entail alteration of your deeply held beliefs.

Z

Moves
24 Jan 13

still waiting for you to substantiate your ludicrous claims that the Bible permits a Christian to rape and engage in slavery. Indeed, its rather exemplary of the type of twaddle that we have sadly become accustomed to from you Zippy, ironic too, that you claim to have some content to your posts, all things considered for generally they resemble the emotional rantings of rampant sociopath.
oh, so let's see, you consider the laws of the old testament just, but you consider it to be ok, because 2000 years later god had a son, and a change of heart and told everyone to forget about the genocide and the raping, that they had their fun.

however, if god where too give those laws again, you would have no problem raping and killing as long as it was permitted by god?

am i right?

rc

Moves
24 Jan 13
3 edits

Originally posted by avalanchethecat
Evidently not, but I understand your reluctance to risk enlightenment should that entail alteration of your deeply held beliefs.
nothing could be further from the truth, I have a mind of my own which is honed to evaluate things for itself. I have evaluated the scripture and it clearly portrays homosexuality as unnatural and that those who practice it as facing consequences.

rc

Moves
24 Jan 13

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
oh, so let's see, you consider the laws of the old testament just, but you consider it to be ok, because 2000 years later god had a son, and a change of heart and told everyone to forget about the genocide and the raping, that they had their fun.

however, if god where too give those laws again, you would have no problem raping and killing as long as it was permitted by god?

am i right?
unworthy of serious comment.

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
24 Jan 13

unworthy of serious comment.
While you are there, will you explain something to me please.

When God said, I will give you the land of Canaan,
what about the people who already lived there?

Did God have no compassion for them when he sent the
Jews in there? Had the people of Canaan no rights?

rc

Moves
24 Jan 13
1 edit

Originally posted by johnnylongwoody

God knew long beforehand that Canaans inhabitants were headed in the wrong direction. Yet, instead of immediately wiping them out, he patiently allowed 400 years to pass until their error had “come to completion.”

(Genesis 15:16) But in the fourth generation they will return here, because the error of the Amorites has not yet come to completion.”

When the sin of the Canaanites reached the point where all hope of improvement was gone, Jehovah brought their end. Even so, he did not blindly execute all Canaanites. Why? Because not all were beyond reform. Those willing to change, such as Rahab and the Gibeonites, were shown mercy. Joshua 9:3-11, 16-27; Hebrews 11:31.

Z

Moves
24 Jan 13

they were not fit to be redeemed, or to be allowed to live. god allowed those people to get evil enough so they can be killed without god feeling sorry?

j

Dublin Ireland

Moves
24 Jan 13

God knew long beforehand that Canaans inhabitants were headed in the wrong direction. Yet, instead of immediately wiping them out, he patiently allowed 400 years to pass until their error had “come to completion.”

(Genesis 15:16) But in the fourth generation they will return here, because the error of the Amorites has not yet come to completion.” ...[text shortened]... change, such as Rahab and the Gibeonites, were shown mercy. Joshua 9:3-11, 16-27; Hebrews 11:31.
So if by your logic that is how it went,

how is it that your God seems to be invisible today
compared to his very hands on approach then?

No voices from the sky, no visions, no miracles nothing.

rc

Moves
24 Jan 13

Originally posted by Zahlanzi
they were not fit to be redeemed, or to be allowed to live. god allowed those people to get evil enough so they can be killed without god feeling sorry?
(2 Peter 3:9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.

rc

Moves
24 Jan 13
1 edit

(1 Corinthians 13:8-13) Love never fails. But whether there are [gifts of] prophesying, they will be done away with; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will be done away with. For we have partial knowledge and we prophesy partially; but when that which is complete arrives, that which is partial will be done away with. When I was a babe, I used to speak as a babe, to think as a babe, to reason as a babe; but now that I have become a man, I have done away with the [traits] of a babe. For at present we see in hazy outline by means of a metal mirror, but then it will be face to face. At present I know partially, but then I shall know accurately even as I am accurately known. Now, however, there remain faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love

We do not need miracles any more, the identifying mark of true Christians is not signs and portents, but love.

If you want change

Vote for it!

Moves
25 Jan 13

We do not need miracles any more, the identifying mark of true Christians is not signs and portents, but ad hominem attacks.
Fixed.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
25 Jan 13

God expects us today to believe based on the testimony of eye witnesses without us actually seeing.

Jesus said to him, “Thomas, because you have seen Me, you have believed. Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.”

(John 20:29 NKJV)

Z

Moves
25 Jan 13

(2 Peter 3:9) Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.
not the canaanites though, they needed to vacate the premises . to make room for his favourite people