anti-intellectualism

anti-intellectualism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14
3 edits

Originally posted by divegeester
Jeremiah 31:33-34

But this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall ...[text shortened]... t, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”
So God does what in your estimation, miraculously puts the 'Law of God', into a believers heart? Have you any evidence that this process is more efficacious than personal study as a medium for getting to know the God of the Bible?

ENGLAND

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
So God does what in your estimation, miraculously puts the 'Law of God', into a believers heart? Have you any evidence that this process is more efficacious than personal study as a medium for getting to know the God of the Bible?
What a strange question; I'm making no such claim just posting some scripture for the readers consideration. My "personal" view is surely irrelevant.

ENGLAND

Moves
24 Apr 14

My friends i do not claim to be an intellectual, far from it, however it appears to me that there is not a small swathe of our Christian friends here who seem to prize a kind of sentimentality over knowledge, as if sentiment of itself can provide the basis for a meaningful faith. This could be for a number of reasons and I hesitate to speculate, nev ...[text shortened]... w with suspicion a sentimentality that cannot provide a solid and rational basis for your faith.
Can I just ask a clarifying question: is this OP about "anti-intellectualism" or not?

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14
4 edits

What a strange question; I'm making no such claim just posting some scripture for the readers consideration. My "personal" view is surely irrelevant.
sorry so you cited a scripture and its not entirely clear why you cited that particular scripture, can you explain why it has any relevance here? If its not relevant then why have you cited it?

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Can I just ask a clarifying question: is this OP about "anti-intellectualism" or not?
a small swathe of our Christian friends here who seem to prize a kind of sentimentality over knowledge, as if sentiment of itself can provide the basis for a meaningful faith.

that is what this thread is about

ENGLAND

Moves
24 Apr 14

a small swathe of our Christian friends here who seem to prize a kind of sentimentality over knowledge, as if sentiment of itself can provide the basis for a meaningful faith.

that is what this thread is about
Can you give some quoted examples from these boards so we can see specifically what you are talking about?

ENGLAND

Moves
24 Apr 14

sorry so you cited a scripture and its not entirely clear why you cited that particular scripture, can you explain why it has any relevance here? If its not relevant then why have you cited it?
What do you think it refers to robbie carrobie?

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14
3 edits

Can you give some quoted examples from these boards so we can see specifically what you are talking about?
If you dont know what I am talking about then perhaps this is not the thread for you.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

What do you think it refers to robbie carrobie?
I have no idea that is why I am asking you, although i fear we shall receive no answer. Perhaps this is not the thread for you after all.

ENGLAND

Moves
24 Apr 14

I have no idea that is why I am asking you...
I'm sure it will mean something to others.

ENGLAND

Moves
24 Apr 14

If you dont know what I am talking about then perhaps this is not the thread for you.
I know exactly what you are talking about I just don't see the evidence to support your claim about the "Christians" you accuse in your OP. If you cannot provide any evidence to support your claim then I suggest your claim is false.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
24 Apr 14
3 edits

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (Page 4)
To glorify God in time is the plan for all believers: realizing the tranquility, peace, happiness and contentment that comes from learning Bible doctrine and advancing to spiritual maturity. Romans 12:2 New American Standard Bible: "And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the w ...[text shortened]... n eternity: becoming "shipwrecked", as Paul said, preoccupied with instant gratification diversions.
Philippians Chapter 2 Standard King James Version (Pure Cambridge):

"1 If there be therefore any consolation in Christ, if any comfort of love, if any fellowship of the Spirit, if any bowels and mercies, 2 Fulfil ye my joy, that ye be likeminded, having the same love, being of one accord, of one mind. 3 Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. 4 Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others.

5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

(Quoted from Page 4): Romans 12:2 New American Standard Bible: "And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Otherwise there's no way for the absolute truth of God's Word to become the standard of your conscience, relevant to your daily thought or the basis of your mental attitude. Bible doctrine is the mind of Christ. Learning who and what He is makes it possible to share His thinking and for God's purpose to be fulfilled in your life.

P

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
None of us can "love" anyone until we first get to know them. Love at first sight is a destructive myth: it's more likely than not physical or personality attraction or carnal lust on the hoof. We have no capacity to love God from ignorance.
I disagee with you totally. My love for people is vast, and unconditional. God's love lives in me, and flows threw me.

P

Moves
24 Apr 14
1 edit

I have not claimed that there is anything wrong with study, my claim is that Christians substitute emotionalism for it the result being that they utter forth platitudes like, 'God is simple', 'all you need is love' and have an emotional rather than a rational basis for their faith. It is still not apparent to me how one can get to know God except for study, perhaps you can explain how its possible?
Knowing the bible is a great thing, but it isn't in knowing the word that gives you life in God. It is in living in God that gives us life. If God lives in you and you live in God you will live forever. And what is God? Scripture states, God is love. God living in you is Love, unconditional love.

It is written, in scripture, that we are the vessels. It is God that fills us, and it will be God who flows threw us.

It is written, don't put your lamp under a basket, but put your lamp out for all to see. The light of the lamp is God within us.

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by Pudgenik
I disagee with you totally. My love for people is vast, and unconditional. God's love lives in me, and flows threw me.
can you explain how its possible to love someone without knowing them? and how is possible to know God without study.