anti-intellectualism

anti-intellectualism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
23 Apr 14

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
Absolutely irrelevant to the content on this thread. Please go home, this thread is not for you.
The quote is very pertinent to a thread called 'anti-intellectualism'. In fact, it couldn't be more on the money.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 14
3 edits

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
"Simply relying on emotionalism is not going to be enough." Agree.

The emotional cluster has no rational capacity for thought. This is why the worst decisions we ever make are made in the heat of the moment. Emotions are designed to appreciate (or not appreciate). "Compassion" yes. Condolences, yes. Anguishing concern, yes. All of these human experie ...[text shortened]... rds, conscience, expectations, hopes, wishes and dreams). Of course the emotions become engaged.
What I am trying to understand is why though, why it should be the case? You saw the initial reaction to this thread, it was like knowledge was a dirty word! The assertion was that knowledge could lead to nothing more than 'pride' or 'egotism', a strange phenomena indeed and yet the Bible says that its leads to everlasting life. One can ask, how is it possible to come to know God apart from study and there seems to be no readily available answer. Someone mentioned Holy spirit but failed to elaborate on how it could impart anything that study could not? Of course we can observe the natural world and draw inferences about God however the God of the Bible has a personality, it sees, has eyes and ears, feels and is motivated to action. How one can get to know this God without study remains a mystery.

rc

Moves
23 Apr 14
3 edits

Originally posted by Proper Knob
The quote is very pertinent to a thread called 'anti-intellectualism'. In fact, it couldn't be more on the money.
This thread is about Christians and the willingness to substitute emotionalism for study, this thread is not about me and i resent your attempts to make it so. If you cannot respect what the thread is about then this is not the thread for you. All further attempts to make the thread personal will be ignored.

Moves
23 Apr 14

This thread is about Christians and the willingness to substitute emotionalism for study, this thread is not about me and i resent your attempts to make it so. If you cannot respect what the thread is about then this is not the thread for you. All further attempts to make the thread personal will be ignored.
are you not a perfect example of a person who puts their emotions before thought and reason? you base all your beliefs on a leaps of faith.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
23 Apr 14

I'm not making it personal, merely throwing a quote out there. Have fun.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
23 Apr 14
2 edits

What I am trying to understand is why though, why it should be the case? You saw the initial reaction to this thread, it was like knowledge was a dirty word! The assertion was that knowledge could lead to nothing more than 'pride' or 'egotism', a strange phenomena indeed and yet the Bible says that its leads to everlasting life. One can ask, how i ...[text shortened]... s and is motivated to action. How one can get to know this God without study remains a mystery.
To glorify God in time is the plan for all believers: realizing the tranquility, peace, happiness and contentment that comes from learning Bible doctrine and advancing to spiritual maturity. Romans 12:2 New American Standard Bible: "And do not be conformed to this world but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect." Otherwise there's no way for the absolute truth of God's Word to become the standard of your conscience, relevant to your daily thought or the basis of your mental attitude. Bible doctrine is the mind of Christ. Learning who and what He is makes it possible to share His thinking and for God's purpose to be fulfilled in your life.

Continued spiritual growth from Bible doctrine in your soul expands capacity for life and love and happiness. Philippians 4:11-13 11 "Not that I speak [according to] from want, for I have learned to be [or self-sufficient] content in whatever circumstances I am. 12 I know how to get along with humble means, and I also know how to live in prosperity; in any and every circumstance I have learned the secret of being filled and going hungry, both of having abundance and suffering need. 13 I can do all things [literally in] through Him who strengthens me." Footnotes: Philippians 4:11 Lit according to. b.Philippians 4:11 Or self-sufficient. c.Philippians 4:13 Lit in. New American Standard Bible

However, God will not coerce anyone. Believers in Christ who ignore God's Will for their lives suffer loss of blessings in this life and loss of reward in eternity: becoming "shipwrecked", as Paul said, preoccupied with instant gratification diversions.

P

Moves
24 Apr 14

My friends i do not claim to be an intellectual, far from it, however it appears to me that there is not a small swathe of our Christian friends here who seem to prize a kind of sentimentality over knowledge, as if sentiment of itself can provide the basis for a meaningful faith. This could be for a number of reasons and I hesitate to speculate, nev ...[text shortened]... w with suspicion a sentimentality that cannot provide a solid and rational basis for your faith.
You can study till the cows come home. Have all the knowlege of the universe. Know everything, but it won't get you any closer to God.

Now the strange thing about God is that he is simple. Simple to follow, simple to be with. It is quite easy, just have to love. Yep that is it, Love. That is the key to everything with God.

Jesus (Rob, Jesus said this not me) "Love God with all your heart" , "love your neighbor as yourself" and when you read a little further in the same Gospel, Jesus states, "this is what all of the scripture is based upon."

Now if all the scripture is based on love, then it must be the basis for all the other knowledge of scripture.

Paul states, "faith, hope, and love. And the greatest of these is love."

Sure knowledge is great, but without love it is nothing more than what Satan has. God is love, and Satan rejected God. Therefore Satan rejected love.

P

Moves
24 Apr 14

Umm the Hebrews had been making copies of the scriptures for three thousand years, you think they might have had a few lying around? just sayin.

how does any of what you have said even address a single point that I made? Does the Bible state that knowledge is important? yes it does, it states that it leads to everlasting life? The scripture does ...[text shortened]... ll, but the price for doing so is a faith based on emotion and sentiment with no rational basis.
The scriptures were never set into a book set till the Catholic monks in the third century compiled them. Up until that time all the writings were done on scrolls.

P

Moves
24 Apr 14

What I am trying to understand is why though, why it should be the case? You saw the initial reaction to this thread, it was like knowledge was a dirty word! The assertion was that knowledge could lead to nothing more than 'pride' or 'egotism', a strange phenomena indeed and yet the Bible says that its leads to everlasting life. One can ask, how i ...[text shortened]... s and is motivated to action. How one can get to know this God without study remains a mystery.
There is nothing wrong with study. Your agruement began because you disagreed with me about how simple God is. When i told you loving God was all that was needed.

w

Moves
24 Apr 14

[b] The assertion was that knowledge could lead to nothing more than 'pride' or 'egotism', a strange phenomena indeed and yet the Bible says that its leads to everlasting life.
I have pointed out that the religious leaders during the time of Jesus were just such examples. Why did it not help them do you suppose?

The Bible does say that his people perish for a lack of knowledge, therefore, I have no problem with knowledge in and of itself. The question from me, rather, is why does it save some and seem to damn others?

w

Moves
24 Apr 14

Indeed you did, Jesus condemned the Pharisees for failing to apply the spirit of the law, for adding to it and making it burdensome on the people. I dont think he ever condemned them for studying it. Now you will tell us in view of John 17:3 why study is not paramount to a Christians faith.
So why did their studying the scripture cause them to burden down the people? What went wrong?

P

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by whodey
I have pointed out that the religious leaders during the time of Jesus were just such examples. Why did it not help them do you suppose?

The Bible does say that his people perish for a lack of knowledge, therefore, I have no problem with knowledge in and of itself. The question from me, rather, is why does it save some and seem to damn others?
knowledge without love is meaningless

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by Pudgenik
knowledge without love is meaningless
None of us can "love" anyone until we first get to know them. Love at first sight is a destructive myth: it's more likely than not physical or personality attraction or carnal lust on the hoof. We have no capacity to love God from ignorance.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
24 Apr 14

My friends i do not claim to be an intellectual, far from it, however it appears to me that there is not a small swathe of our Christian friends here who seem to prize a kind of sentimentality over knowledge, as if sentiment of itself can provide the basis for a meaningful faith. This could be for a number of reasons and I hesitate to speculate, nev ...[text shortened]... w with suspicion a sentimentality that cannot provide a solid and rational basis for your faith.
I always admired the Scot's for their intellect, and this is a classic example. You are wise my friend. As a Christian I will heed your words.🙂

rc

Moves
24 Apr 14

Originally posted by stellspalfie
are you not a perfect example of a person who puts their emotions before thought and reason? you base all your beliefs on a leaps of faith.
no i have an entirely rational basis for my faith. Please no more personal remarks.